From 363.4 to 197.7 lbs: My One-Meal-a-Day Success Story

Replies

• 120poundstogo
    120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
    Sweet!
  • kachurka
    kachurka Posts: 5 Member
    I have a question. In one of your videos, you talked about how when you are close to your goal weight, you'd either have to incorporate more exercise or limit your calories more since your body is smaller and needs less calories.. But I thought that you when you are in maintenance you need more calories. I'm confused, I thought that smaller, leaner people need more calories, not less. Or is that only when they are still losing the last ten or more pounds?
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    kachurka wrote: »
    I have a question. In one of your videos, you talked about how when you are close to your goal weight, you'd either have to incorporate more exercise or limit your calories more since your body is smaller and needs less calories.. But I thought that you when you are in maintenance you need more calories. I'm confused, I thought that smaller, leaner people need more calories, not less. Or is that only when they are still losing the last ten or more pounds?

Well, you must gradually raise your calories as you reach maintenance since, if you kept dropping weight at a deficit, you'd eventually turn into a proverbial leaf and "blow away." But yes, your body runs on less calories than it did before. You require less to keep going than before, but that doesn't negate a raise in calories overall for you.
  • KevFit413
    KevFit413 Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2016
    Very cool and inspiring success. I use intermittent fasting currently and have done so ever since I joined mfp. I love it. Sometimes I fast for 24 hours and then eat one huge meal, but most days I fast for 20+ hours and eat two meals consisting of the same amount of calories. I love this simple and very effective method for fat loss! Great job!
  • etherial1
    etherial1 Posts: 22 Member
    I didn't realize I was here! I subscribed to your youtube channel and am very impressed with your success. I love reading success stories, and how you maintain your loss. No excuses, no gains, just sharing your journey with others.

I start my OMAD tomorrow morning. I am ketogenic and not a junk food eater. I am a wine lover and buy really good wines to have with my meal. I can hardly wait to see my results this-coming Saturday, which will be my official weigh-in day. My husband said he'll join me when I lose a "boatload" of weight. I'm not obese, but could stand to lose about some weight.

Thank you for all that you do.
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Way to go!! You look healthy & happy!! Congratulations on your success!! :)
  • caughtredhandd83
    caughtredhandd83 Posts: 28 Member
    Thank you for sharing your journey and congratulations. I'm glad you found what worked for you, and something you could stick with. While having group support makes a huge difference, each person must still find what works for them as an individual. Best wishes and continued health to you. :)
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    That's really interesting, I've recently started 16:8 fasting and I do feel so much better eating two meals with light fruit and veg snacks in between. I'll probably move towards closing that eating window and fasting for longer periods, I'm not as hungry by noon as I was when I started and eating anything heavy later than 6.30 is preventing me sleeping well. So within a month I can see myself moving towards 18:6. Not sure I'll ever manage 23:1 but we'll see!
  • kachurka
    kachurka Posts: 5 Member
    You say to not consume any liquids with calories during the fasting stage. But many days I get hungry before bed, and in the morning I actually am nauseaous, and feel like almost throwing up. What do you suggest I do? Seems like my body needs glucose, so I have sweetened coffee. Is that OK?
  • arguablysamson
    kachurka wrote: »
    You say to not consume any liquids with calories during the fasting stage. But many days I get hungry before bed, and in the morning I actually am nauseaous, and feel like almost throwing up. What do you suggest I do? Seems like my body needs glucose, so I have sweetened coffee. Is that OK?

I would quite honestly just adjust. Otherwise, you can't really stay in a fasting state.
  • BrianLCHF
    BrianLCHF Posts: 4 Member
    This is a great thread. I've gone from 370 to 240 eating low carb (done since 2009 as I have done it on and off, lose some, gain a little back, lose some more, etc) as you can see in my avatar (if it shows up) but have gained a little weight back. I went back up to about 275 or so the past year even while working out like a dog doing Crossfit (I was 60 years old in February). I finally realized that you have to separate exercise and weight loss, so I've just suspended Crossfit for awhile to concentrate on the diet and weight loss. I still do a lighter workout a few times a week at Planet Fitness, but nothing near as hard as Crossfit.

I actually ran across Samson on Youtube just a couple of weeks ago and that led me here when Googling OMAD information. It was easy for me to transition to this because I was already doing intermittent fasting (18/6) with my low carb. I normally eat within a 6 hour window and fast the other 18. So I never experienced any ill effects from just going to one meal a day. And I would generally only eat two meals within that 6 hours anyway, and counted calories, somewhere between 1500-1800 calories a day.

Three weeks ago I went back to the LCHF and took off about 15 lbs, then came across the OMAD and switched to that to further help with the weight loss, and have lost 6 lbs in the first week doing that. I really like the 23 hours fasting as I am an experienced faster (been as long as 32 days with just water) and from all my research over the years, I realize how healthy fasting actually is. So the OMAD is like fasting, but getting to eat. lol.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated and we need to keep this thread going. It kept me motivated reading this thread, and it will continue to do so if we keep posting.

p.s. In previewing my post I see my avatar doesn't show up. I assumed it would by putting my pic in my profile. Is there some other place where you add the avatar? Thanks!
  • BrianLCHF
    BrianLCHF Posts: 4 Member
    I see my avatar finally showed up.

One more question, is there a way to subscribe to a thread, or somewhere in the settings that when someone replies in a thread you posted in, it notifies you by email? Thanks!
  • arguablysamson
    Good going.

There should be an easy way to subscribe. I somehow did and I always check back in when I click on the "community" link. I can then see how many replies are lined up.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Bump
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    I'm impressed that you found what works for you and didn't let the Internet dieticians and laptop "scientists" detour you.

I've been an intermittent faster since I was a teenager in the 70s. Back then I didn't know it had a name, but I can tell you I've gotten a lot of resistance over the years about it.
    Anytime I've strayed from it my eating has gotten out of control. It as if once my appetite gets awakened for the day, I can't eat enough.

I do a 16:8 daily fast. I eat dinner and then snacks later. My first meal of the day is 5:00.
    Congratulations on finding what works for you and sticking with it!!
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    BrianLCHF wrote: »
    I see my avatar finally showed up.

One more question, is there a way to subscribe to a thread, or somewhere in the settings that when someone replies in a thread you posted in, it notifies you by email? Thanks!

Look at the title at the top of the page...then look to the right and see the outline of a star? Click on that to make it solid yellow...then you are subscribed to the thread.
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    bumping this up, I have been doing OMAD for 4 weeks and this is the real deal, no gimmicks you will lose weight and feel great
  • eblyth00
    eblyth00 Posts: 131 Member
    I have been on OMAD now for about 3 months. Some things have come up in life that I didn't handle the best during that time and I didn't follow OMAD strict for about a month out of that time and I am still down 45 lbs. this is the easiest lifestyle change I have ever made. It seems like it will be hard at first but your body and appetite really do adapt. Along with the weightloss my fasting blood sugar is down to 80 and I went from pre-hypertension blood pressure to completely normal levels.
  • tabsterrrrr
    tabsterrrrr Posts: 1 Member
    I have been trying to stick with this for about a month but it's been hard. Any suggestions or best tips to really stick it out for the long haul?
  • arguablysamson
    I have been trying to stick with this for about a month but it's been hard. Any suggestions or best tips to really stick it out for the long haul?

Just create patterns that equal sensible habits and let that do the work for you. And learn to not connect happiness with eating.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!