Should I stay in a calorie deficit post-surgery ?

Okay so I'm 5"8, about 135-138pounds, and I'm eating around 1300 calories and slowly losing (from my high of about 155?.. maybe more idk) down to my happy weight of 125-128. Well, I'm having a general anesthetic for a pretty serious cosmetic procedure and I should be expected to be in bed during the first week, and not totally healed or able to excercise for 6 weeks. I definitely don't want to stop tracking but I'm wondering if I should take a diet break and give myself an extra 300 calories for this time or if I should just stick with my deficit since I'll be very sedentary. Thoughts? Thanks guys!!

Replies

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Okay that's what I was thinking! My surgeon doesn't seem too knowledgeable about it. She knows a lot about recovery but she says she's never had anyone ask if they could diet while recovering lol
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Don't diet while in recovery, I've had major surgery on my abdomen in the past, from experience you won't give a monkeys the first 2 weeks after surgery anyways as you will feel so rough.

Eat at maintenance your body will need those calories and nutrients to heal.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Your body uses lots of calories for healing.
    Eat at maintenance or a little above for a few weeks.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    I agree with the others about eating at maintenance and after you're fully recovered increasing your calories from 1300 you are at a healthy weight you can consider either body recomposition or if you're dead set on trying to be 127 pounds changing your goal to lose 0.5 pounds.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Take a diet break. One of the major contributors to post op complications is malnourishment, particularly with regards protien. In fact, if you've been in calorie deficit for a while, you might want to start the diet break a bit before the surgery. My opinion, of course, for what it's worth.
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    I'm a student nurse and we just had lecture on this. Do not continue in a deficit while healing (4-6 weeks) and bump up your protein intake for maximum healing potential.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Take a diet break. One of the major contributors to post op complications is malnourishment, particularly with regards protien. In fact, if you've been in calorie deficit for a while, you might want to start the diet break a bit before the surgery. My opinion, of course, for what it's worth.

This
  • hollyfoord
    hollyfoord Posts: 30 Member
    Crap. I just had brain surgery a little less than 3 weeks ago & have still been eating at 1200-1300 calories. My hormones and metabolism are affected by the medications I'm on & I'm scared of gaining (lost 108 so far). Am I hurting my recovery by doing this? I'm also getting 10k steps in a day as drs said to be up and moving.
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    hollyfoord wrote: »
    Crap. I just had brain surgery a little less than 3 weeks ago & have still been eating at 1200-1300 calories. My hormones and metabolism are affected by the medications I'm on & I'm scared of gaining (lost 108 so far). Am I hurting my recovery by doing this? I'm also getting 10k steps in a day as drs said to be up and moving.

I think you need to check this out with your doctors, up and moving may not mean doing 10000 steps a day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    hollyfoord wrote: »

Eat at maintenance, you won't gain.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Okay thanks so much everyone! I'm so glad I asked. Something told me a deficit may not be the best thing for recovery. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I think you should eat at maintenance during recovery, and stay there once you're healed.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    This really is something for your doctor to answer - and if they can't answer and don't refer you to someone who can, I'd be questioning their level of expertise and/or professionalism.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    This really is something for your doctor to answer - and if they can't answer and don't refer you to someone who can, I'd be questioning their level of expertise and/or professionalism.
    most doctors receive very little nutritional training. She said to eat at maintained to be safe but that she'd never been asked that question