A little about me

Hi, I am 56 years old & brand new here.
15 years ago, I was a thin 120 lbs & very active. Then I got thyroid disease & I started gaining. I wasn't worried at that time because I needed a few more pounds. A few years later I quit smoking (YAY!!!) & the weight gain accelerated. It was getting harder to manage but I still felt good....then menopause happened. OMFG! I got depressed & kind of gave up, resigned to the fact that I'm fat & unhealthy. That gave me permission to eat all kinds of bad foods & binge eating.
I recently realized I was having the same internal conversations with myself that I had before I quit smoking. I am ready now to do it but the thought of losing 50 or 60 lbs is overwhelming to me, so I have decided I only want to lose 5 pounds. I can do that! And after I do that, I want to lose another 5 pounds & do that 10 times. If I can lose just 5 pounds (at a time), it's a success. That's my plan anyways ;)
Thank you for listening. My name is Alanna :)

Replies

• opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Wishing you success, Alanna. I can relate to you completely.
  • alannabanana75
    alannabanana75 Posts: 19 Member
    I apologize for the late response. I am just seeing this now.
    Thank you very much for your encouraging words. I hit my first goal yesterday. 5 pounds lost!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    That wasn't so bad now, was it? You don't have to lose all the way back to 120 today. For today, all you have to do is get your nutrients in your meals and stay within your calorie targets. You don't even have to do the whole day right now. Right now, just breathe and wait for your next scheduled meal.
  • alannabanana75
    alannabanana75 Posts: 19 Member
    No, it wasn't difficult at all. I'll be happy at a healthy 140-150. The best part is I am not craving the sweet stuff like I thought I would. I feel great, both physically & emotionally.
  • Fiqahana
    Fiqahana Posts: 93 Member
    Hi there, I'm Hana. I'm 21 years old. I joined MFP on 2013 but I guess never really stuck with it. So currently, I'm on an almost 4 months semester break from university so figured I better focus on myself, just losing weight and getting healthy. I was at my heaviest by the end of February 2017 where I weighed almost 125kg. I currently weight 117kg and is working hard to at least be 110kg by the end of June and my main goal for my semester break is to be 90kg or at least below 100kg by the end of August.

I was diagnosed with GERD at the end of February 2017 and was hospitalized for 4 days because of it. It felt terrible as I felt like it was hard to breath, it's like a sensation of a lump in the throat. At the hospital I kept on throwing up the food I ate, I couldn't even sleep, I was crying most of the time because my GERD was really bad, I had to be on Xanax for a few days just so I could get some rest. It has been almost 3 months of me dealing with GERD and I have on medication yet I still have the symptoms, although it is now better as I do not throw up anymore and I am able to sleep. I am going to make an appointment for an endoscopy very soon just to be clear on what is the cause of my GERD and hopefully after that I will be able to get suitable medications that will make me recover 100%. One of my doctors did say losing weight my just be the cure for my GERD and after doing some research, I did find that what he said is true and most people who have GERD does feel better after losing weight. So, I hope when I do lose weight, I'll be so much healthier and happier as well and my GERD will be gone completely, forever.

So basically, I am determined to lose all this weight and be completely healthy again. I am going to take control of my life, this is it. Here's to a better life, a better me. If you have GERD or maybe you just wanna be friends, add me as a friend. I'd love to have people to encourage me get on the right track and it will be my honour to encourage my fellow friends to stay motivated as well. Have a nice day! Thank you for reading, I appreciate it! :smiley: