Question for others who also have issues with moderation

Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I'm still working on it myself but I've noticed that very often, I'll be eating a cookie... and WHILE I'm eating the cookie I'm already thinking about eating more.

How do you get to the mindset of just enjoying what you're eating without thinking about getting more? I mean, the second cookie will not taste different than the one I'm already eating, so why can't I just enjoy that one as if it was the second one?

Does anyone else do that, and have you managed to overcome it? I mean, I lost 80 lbs... gained back 5 in the last 3 years, still want to lose 10, but it would be so much easier if I stopped overeating on bread, chocolate, and cookies..

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm still working on it myself but I've noticed that very often, I'll be eating a cookie... and WHILE I'm eating the cookie I'm already thinking about eating more.

How do you get to the mindset of just enjoying what you're eating without thinking about getting more? I mean, the second cookie will not taste different than the one I'm already eating, so why can't I just enjoy that one as if it was the second one?

Does anyone else do that, and have you managed to overcome it? I mean, I lost 80 lbs... gained back 5 in the last 3 years, still want to lose 10, but it would be so much easier if I stopped overeating on bread, chocolate, and cookies..

Find something to distract yourself and hope someone else eats all the rest of the cookies in the meantime. (it can be a somewhat decent strategy for me as long as it's not a follow heavy milonga. I'm not so great at self control).
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    I'm trying to practice mindfulness in all aspects of my life, and food is one of those. Trying to intentionally enjoy the cookie as it is now, and not worrying about anything else during that time, whether it is the cookie or anything else going on in my life. My mind tends to wander while I'm eating, and I want another food thing because I didn't really enjoy the first one ('cause I was thinking about something else, even if it was just another cookie).

This is what I am doing atm as well.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    I focus on the immediate budget and the overall long term goal and don't think of this any differently than finance. Sure that extra cookies is going to taste good, but I don't need it. I savor the cookie I have.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    pre log your day and then see how many calories you have left and how many cookies, ice cream whatever that you can fit into it..that is what I used to do..
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    *If possible, log immediately after eating. It makes you consider whether that second one is worth it.
    * When you figure out the calories, try to put it into context of your workout.
    * Don't eat crappy cookies. Or any other mediocre food. I mean, cookies are a reason to live, but crappy cookies just fill up your food budget and it's actually not that satisfying.
    * Plan cookie eating when possible. Part of being mindful is making the cookie part of a plan that eliminates guilt. If you bank calories, or otherwise make sure you have them fit into your day, it's much more enjoyable.
  • itsreneabitch
    itsreneabitch Posts: 2 Member
    I pre-log my meals each day so I can plan my snacks accordingly. I rarely buy cookies and the best way I deal with wanting those unhealthy snacks is it is the first thing I set in the cart when I shop, in the seat part for children so it isn't easy to miss. By the time I am done shopping I am ready to put it back and I never leave with it. Sometimes just having it within reach, in my possession, for a small amount of time is just as satisfying as actually consuming it.
  • surlydoc
    surlydoc Posts: 10 Member
    I don't keep packages of junk food in the house, as a rule. I only buy single serving desserts- usually, I just have a dessert at a restaurant or, if buying from the store, find the individual servings.
    Because I have the same problem (am always thinking of the next cookie, slice of cake, etc), I only allow myself one dessert a week. That way, I can have a larger portion and not feel as though I am over indulging too frequently.
    Finally, pre-logging in MFP helps control those cravings for high-calorie, low quality food. If I know there isn't room, I can talk myself out of indulging.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Mostly, by knowing I'm not going to be eating more. It's just not an option. No 'maybe if'; this is my one and only cookie, and the rest have already gone into the airtight box in the cupboard.

This. I have a planned after dinner dessert. It might be cheese (which I used to overeat) or ice cream or a macaron from this new bakery near me or something else. I measure out my portion, put it away, and enjoy what I am having. If the possibility to have more is open I will want more, but if this is my dessert and no more I am able to focus on it.

Also, and it may not be OP's issue, but it was mine, focusing on and thinking about the thing I am eating while I am eating it, not doing it as a supplement to some other activity (i.e., wanting to eat while watching a video).