Avocado

watty1982
watty1982 Posts: 32 Member
Is it healthy to include this as part of a diet or is it just a fad?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Only if you like avocado. It definitely is full of MUFA which have been linked to improved Cholesterol and reductions in LDL.

But you don't need avocado to achieve that. There are many foods that you can get MUFA and PUFA.
  • watty1982
    I'm not a big fan of them to be honest, do you have any suggestions for a replacement to get those in?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2017
    watty1982 wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of them to be honest, do you have any suggestions for a replacement to get those in?

Dark fish, olive oil, game meats (bison, elk, etc...) and nuts. They are all high in USFA and low in SFA.

Also, I tend to make guacamole a lot instead of just avocado.
  • watty1982
    Cheers for that appreciate it
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited May 2017
    Not a big fan of avocados either.

Always seem too expensive to me for what you get but I bought some at my local farmer's market recently that the seller said he hand picked the night before.

They were the best looking avocados I'd ever seen and they "only" cost $5 for 6. Of course, they all started to ripen at the same time and I had to eat them quick.

Just cut them in half, removed the pit, added salt, some salsa and some lime juice (a deconstructed guac) and scooped and ate it right out of the shell.

They were delicious prepared that way!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Send all the avocados to me.

Please and thank you.

I used to not like tomatoes - unless they were in pizza or spaghetti - then I researched them and found all the benefits, now I eat them. I even like them. :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Not a big fan of avocados either.

Always seem too expensive to me for what you get but I bought some at my local farmer's market recently that the seller said he hand picked the night before.

They were the best looking avocados I'd ever seen and they "only" cost $5 for 6. Of course, they all started to ripen at the same time and I had to eat them quick.

Just cut them in half, removed the pit, added salt, some salsa and some lime juice (a deconstructed guac) and scooped and ate it right out of the shell.

They were delicious prepared that way!

Once they're ripe you can stick them in the refrigerator to extend their life, so you don't have to eat all six at once.
  • EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    I recently saw a recipe where people made tuna salad with avocados, instead of mayo. I thought that was a great idea! They served it in the avocado half skin, as well, which I thought was a cute touch. But, you could make either tuna or chicken salad with it, and have a pretty low cal, high protein entree!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    I say if you don't like them a lot, don't eat them. Everyone seems to have gotten on the avocado bandwagon and it has driven the prices sky high. When I was a kid, we all had so many growing in the backyard, we couldn't give the away. Now they're $1.50 per fruit. It's crazy.

Maybe the price will go down for those of us who love them when the fad finally ends.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I say if you don't like them a lot, don't eat them. Everyone seems to have gotten on the avocado bandwagon and it has driven the prices sky high. When I was a kid, we all had so many growing in the backyard, we couldn't give the away. Now they're $1.50 per fruit. It's crazy.

Maybe the price will go down for those of us who love them when the fad finally ends.

They were always expensive here and probably are more available because they are popular, but I understand.

I love them, but I wouldn't eat them if I didn't care for them.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    Once they're ripe you can stick them in the refrigerator to extend their life, so you don't have to eat all six at once.

Do you have to do that b4 they go ripe? Or if ripe already, will that stop them from turning brown and going mushy inside?

Will try it next time.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    Send all the avocados to me.

Please and thank you.

I used to not like tomatoes - unless they were in pizza or spaghetti - then I researched them and found all the benefits, now I eat them. I even like them. :smile:

i'l split them with you.
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 699 Member
    YesyesYES! Love them in all forms and although I don't use them as mayo outright, I do like them on a sandwich for the creaminess and then either avoid or reduce mayo. Good on anything - try it cubed and put into beans and rice or Mexican chicken soup....add lime. Whoa, so good! For anyone who is interested in mayo avocado, check **this** out!!! https://sweetlaurel.wordpress.com/2016/06/17/avocado-aioli-sweet-laurel/comment-page-1/#comment-516
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 699 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Do you have to do that b4 they go ripe? Or if ripe already, will that stop them from turning brown and going mushy inside?

Will try it next time.

Once they are ripe, stick them in the fridge - they will stay at the perfect place for several days, I have done it successfully for almost two weeks (I got crazy and bought quite a few!!)
  • Birdie1952
    Birdie1952 Posts: 48 Member
    I seen on Food network's "The Kitchen" that you can also freeze them. Cut in half, take out pit, scoop out of shell, sprinkle lime or lemon juice on then freeze in a freezer bag. I personally have not tried this but you can freeze butter so I can see where this would work.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I prefer it as guacamole and use it as a sandwich spread or addition to wraps etc.
  • darbierenfrow33
    darbierenfrow33 Posts: 7 Member
    EmPersson wrote: »
    I recently saw a recipe where people made tuna salad with avocados, instead of mayo. I thought that was a great idea! They served it in the avocado half skin, as well, which I thought was a cute touch. But, you could make either tuna or chicken salad with it, and have a pretty low cal, high protein entree!

http://nutritionexpert.com/blog/2016/03/skinny-tuna-avocado-wrap/

This recipe is very similar to what you're talking about and is absolutely delicious!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    watty1982 wrote: »
    Is it healthy to include this as part of a diet or is it just a fad?

They're a pretty nutritious food, but you can get that nutrition elsewhere as well. Not sure about "fad"...maybe it depends on where you're from. I live in New Mexico, and avocados are pretty standard fare for as long as I can remember...I have 1/2 avocado almost every day, but I love them.