chicken salad with avocado?

Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
Sometimes I make odd food choices, so I'm asking here in advance.

Folks mix canned tuna with avocado instead of mayo. It's yummy for sure.

Does canned chicken mixed with avocado taste good as well? I have a couple of cans of chicken I've been thinking I should use. And I have two ripe avocados.

TIA.

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    I tried it once, I didn't find the avocado added much to the chicken salad, good or bad. I don't really like avocado though, so I was trying to make it palatable by blending it into something else.
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    It's good.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited May 2017

Does canned chicken mixed with avocado taste good as well? I have a couple of cans of chicken I've been thinking I should use. And I have two ripe avocados.

TIA.

Yes. It's great! I've made it with a little onion and mayo plus avocado. Sometimes even I'll add hard-boiled egg.

Canned chicken is such a quick, convienent and stock-able item I usually have some on hand. I get tired of tuna more easily.

If you do low carb wraps it makes a great lunch. Lettuce wraps are ok too (but messy).

Edit: my phone autocorrect is so ridiculous!
  • Sabine_Stroehm

TIA.

Yes. It's great! I've made it with a little onion and mayo plus avocado. Sometimes even I'll add hatdboiled egg. Canned chicken is such a quick stocksble item I usually have some. If this do low carb wraps it makes a great lunch. Lettuce wraps are ok too (but messy).

Perfect! Thanks all!
  • JessicaLCHF
    I totally want this for dinner now. Lol.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    My H is 'addicted' to avocados. I make a prawn-and-crayfish salad with home-made Marie-Rose sauce, and he would have it every day if he could. And yes, avocados taste delish with chicken - canned or otherwise!
    I cut the avocado halves into cubes while it's still in the skin (run the tip of a sharp knife first lengthways then across the halved avocado, making sure the tip of the knife reaches, but does not penetrate the skin. Scoop the diced flesh out with a spoon. sprinkle with fresh lemon juice, and mix it up, then prepare the remaining.... stuff to add.... one word.

Yum.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    When I saw the title of the thread, it made me think of this recipe I just saw:

http://thestayathomechef.com/healthy-tuna-stuffed-avocado/

It was a recommendation from Pinterest.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    I put avocado in almost everything, including chicken salad.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    In the end, I had more cans of salmon than chicken. So I made a salmon, avocado salad.
    I was bummed we were out of arugula/rocket. I LOVE adding that. Must buy more.
  • JessicaLCHF
    I just texted hubby to pick up more chicken and avo. Lol.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    I just texted hubby to pick up more chicken and avo. Lol.

could you get him to drop some off to my place? Thanks awfully... I owe you! :lol:
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    I wasn't a huge fan of tuna mixed with avocado but I think chicken would be great.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Don't see why it wouldn't be good. Chicken and avocado are great together.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Don't see why it wouldn't be good. Chicken and avocado are great together.

I'm looking forward to trying it. The salmon and avocado was delish.
  • JessicaLCHF
    I just saw a post on Pinterest about this today. I'll track it down. You'd have to nix or sub the tortillas.

http://www.closetcooking.com/2015/08/chicken-and-avocado-burritos.html?m=1

I'd imagine various types of chicken would suffice. Rotisserie, canned, grilled...
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member

TIA.

I eat avocado with chicken, fish (any), beef, sausage.... and so on. I think it all tastes good. Then again, I can eat some strange combinations of food....lol.

This evening I had some canned salmon with chopped avocado and a few chopped sweet gherkins. :smiley:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I just saw a post on Pinterest about this today. I'll track it down. You'd have to nix or sub the tortillas.

I'd imagine various types of chicken would suffice. Rotisserie, canned, grilled...

I'm not low carb, per se, but I do have low carb tortillas, as I limited refined carbs. Thanks for this!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Somewhere I read that this summer will see an avocado shortage; can't remember why but probably associated with California's alternating droughts and flash floods. On my last trip to Sam's Club, their regular bag of six avocados for $4.99 was four avocados for $6.99 and those four looked as though they had walked all the way from the San Joaquin Valley to Florida.
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member

This looks AMAZING! Definitely making these next weekend!
  • JessicaLCHF
    Lunch today, @Sabine_Stroehm :)

Just canned chicken, onion, mayo and hass avocado