dinner for one

Options
stephieleee
stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
I'm currently trying to adjust cooking for just myself. Anyone have any good healthyish recipes/ideas suitable for one serving?

I'm not huge on meal prepping cause it gets real boring real fast and reheated food (particularly chicken breasts) taste like death.

Thaaaanks :)

Replies

• StellaRose227
    StellaRose227 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When you say that you don't like reheated things, is it just things from the fridge or do you not like things that have been frozen either? I ask because things like soup are easy to make in large batches and freeze in single serve sizes. Or mini-meatloafs.

Most grocery stores sell flash-frozen raw chicken breasts. Those are nice because you don't have to worry about dealing with a whole package of something. I'm bad about sticking one of those in the steamer if I'm the only one home for dinner.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Without some idea of your preferences and macro/calorie goals, it is hard to give advice. But that said:

Jarred pasta sauce and pasta. Pull out a single portion of frozen, raw meat the night before and let thaw in the refrigerator. When you are ready to cook dinner, boil water in a sauce pan and add noodles. Cook the meat in a saute pan and add sauce when the meat is cooked. Combine and serve with salad. Really, it is just a matter of portioning out your meat when you get it home from the grocery so that you can pull out a single serving at a time. Pasta sauce will last more than a week in the fridge. You can buy prepared lettuce blends in the bag and pull out however much you want each time. (Frozen vegetables also make a good side and don't spoil quickly.)

Also, soup typically gets better each time you reheat, so you might try making a few servings of your favorite soup and having that for lunches. Some things can be made ahead and portioned out for lunches, but don't require being reheated. Chicken or egg salad, which can go on salad, bread, or a tortilla; grilled chicken as a salad topper or sandwich filling; or pizza (which IMO is better cold the next day).

Cooking for a single person is only difficult when it comes to baking, as many recipes don't allow for reduction (you typically can't use just half an egg). Most baked goods will last a week or more in a sealed container either on your counter or in the fridge, so not a big deal. Just try to make the smallest recipe you can.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I usually just cook for me and it's no big deal. Like others said, soup reheats well, pasta is easy to store.
    Personally, I'm a huge fan of frozen dinners. A frozen single of stouffers lasagna and a side off broccoli is under
    400 cals. Frozen chicken parm, side of spaghetti and vegetables from Boston market is also under 400
    Why go to the major effort of cooking every day when there are so many cool choices out there. Just watch
    the calories and sodium. I still like to cook and BBQ a few times each week, but there are times I just want to
    hit the 4 minute timer on the microwave and be done with cooking and cleaning.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of wraps and egg based meals as they're easy to adjust to the number of people (in my case, 2) you're feeding.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    make soups and stews, they actually start to taste better after time in the fridge.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    We keep portions of uncooked protien in the freezer, and pull one out in the morning to defrost for dinner. Cook it with some vegies, or add to a salad - these are easy to make for one. Meals with eggs are also good.

Find stuff that reheats well without going yuck - soups, stews etc, or stuff that eats ok cold (frittata, chicken for salads - cooked but not reheated etc)