Breakfast ideas?

818mom
818mom Posts: 3 Member
I'm new to the whole dieting thing. I wanna know some ideas for a healthy breakfast. I have a friend who goes to a nutritionist and told them that breakfast need to be your biggest meal. Makes sense. So this was my breakfast

Replies

• thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Opinions vary, not only on which meal should be the biggest, but also how many meals there should be, and when they're eaten. My breakfasts are never, ever the biggest meal of the day.

On a work day, my usual breakfast is some nonfat vanilla yogurt (I love Siggi's with a passion) with 17 grams of berry cereal. Then I have a midmorning snack, usually 30 grams of raw pecans or almonds.

When I don't work I usually have a couple of eggs with some veg and usually cheese. Sometimes served over an arugula salad, sometimes in a breakfast burrito configuration, sometimes served with a side of toast.

Sometimes I treat myself to biscuits and gravy. Mmmm.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    I typically take a cup of red seedless grapes (which I then weigh; it averages about 160 grams), add 1 6-oz container of double-protein, fat-free plain Greek yogurt, and crumble a granola bar (1/2 of a Nature Valley package of 2 bars) on top. It comes in at slightly over 300 calories. Varies by flavor of bar, weight of grapes, but not by very much.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Eggs, any way. I get a frozen bag of sliced up peppers and onions and make omelets with those sometimes. Doesn't take long.

Sometimes I take greek yogurt to work with frozen bagged fruit and maybe a sprinkle of dry oatmeal in it. By the time I get to work the frozen fruit is thawed. Bananas don't freeze well though.

Frozen fruits and veggies are where it's at.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I have a few go to breakfasts...
    1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt, with cinnamon, honey, 1/2 an apple and almonds...yum!!! I usually make two at a time...so I only have to make every other day!!

I make a batch of Steel cut oats - 1 uncooked cup yields 4 servings of oatmeal. I cook the oatmeal and then add cinnamon, blueberries, strawberries and honey. It keeps in the fridge, when I am ready to eat it I heat it up and add a dollop of plain greek yogurt

I sometimes make egg muffins.....spray your muffin tin and add any vegetables, meat, cheese pour whipped egg over whatever you chose. Bake in the oven...I can't remember off the top of my head the temperature or length, there are several recipes to find on the internet...these you can make ahead and heat up. I am all about batch cooking anymore...makes life easier!!

BTW....Your breakfast looks delicious...please share what you have in there!!
  • sissy0107
    sissy0107 Posts: 40 Member
    French here, and we all loooove our sweet breakfast (who doesn't like a buttery croissant .. well except anyone on a diet).

To satisfy my biological need for sweet food in the morning, I go with one chocolate whey shaker, and a cup of almond milk, with oat meal and muesli (fruits or chocolate depending on the mood). That's somewhere around 500 cals (64 carbs, 31 prot and only 12g fats).
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    1musicgrl wrote: »
    I make a breakfast bake with corn tortillas, egg whites, milk, lots of veggies, and lean meat and cheese. I bake it and then divide it into individual meal portions so I can just grab and go. It's very low calorie with a lot of protein. I try to have both carbs and protein as my trainer asks me to, so I can fuel my morning workout.

Gonna try this one!!!!
  • 818mom
    edited May 2017
    For the breakfast in the pic. I made 3 egg whites, with left over lean taco meat, spinach, and salsa on top. It's about 136 calories.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    my go to breakfast foods = coffee with cream 6 days a week, eggs and bacon with the coffee the 7th day
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    A "Nutritionist" gets their title cheaply from an internet mill. It's neither rigorous nor respectable. I like a big breakfast, too, but my point is to warn you against trusting someone called a Nutritionist. It's an empty title.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    1musicgrl wrote: »
    I make a breakfast bake with corn tortillas, egg whites, milk, lots of veggies, and lean meat and cheese. I bake it and then divide it into individual meal portions so I can just grab and go. It's very low calorie with a lot of protein. I try to have both carbs and protein as my trainer asks me to, so I can fuel my morning workout.

Gonna try this one!!!!

RIGHT?! Sounds yummy, OP.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    818mom wrote: »
    I'm new to the whole dieting thing. I wanna know some ideas for a healthy breakfast. I have a friend who goes to a nutritionist and told them that breakfast need to be your biggest meal. Makes sense. So this was my breakfast

Why does that make sense? It makes no sense. When you eat and how much you eat is irrelevant. Your breakfast can be as big or as little as you like - mine is non existent in the morning, with the exception of coffee. I save calories for later in the day, and I eat most of my calories after 730pm. It has not prevented me losing weight.

• kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Dont think of breakfast as breakfast where you must eat the breakfast foods. Think of it as another meal and eat whatever you like. Anything is good, so is nothing to be honest.
    Totally agree!! I've made egg salad sandwiches or hot ham and cheese on whole wheat buns for breakfast, it actually sticks with me until lunch not like a lot of "breakfast" items that are just sugary carbs.

• 818mom

818mom wrote: »

Why does that make sense? It makes no sense. When you eat and how much you eat is irrelevant. Your breakfast can be as big or as little as you like - mine is non existent in the morning, with the exception of coffee. I save calories for later in the day, and I eat most of my calories after 730pm. It has not prevented me losing weight.

It makes sense to me because you have all day to burn off the calories from breakfast. I'm not a breakfast person. Normally I would drink my 2 or 3 cups of coffee and not eat until 3 or 4. But now that I have been eating breakfast I've been losing weight. I worked out for a long time but didn't eat breakfast and barely lost anything.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    Your body is constantly burning calories, just by existing. Truth is, it burns more while you're asleep. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-source-healing/201010/sleep-more-burn-more-fat
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    During the week, I usually have a Greek yogurt. On the weekend, I love a piece of nut bread toast with plain avocado mashed on it (or salsa), topped with a fried egg and a little bit of cheese toasted on top. It's under 400 calories. If it's closer to lunch when I get around to it, then I have 2 and count it as breakfast and lunch.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Chobani simply 100 is my breakfast staple right now.
    12g protein, 5g fiber (chicory!)
    I usually eat oats and/or fruit and a yogurt to start the day.
    I also like cereal. I eat the off brand bagged cereal by Malt-o-meal because it has a ton of iron in it compared to the brand name and the taste isn't so different that I don't enjoy it. 50% of my daily iron intake with cereal right off the bat, and I opt for Orgain slightly sweet Vanilla almond milk (maybe find at whole foods) for an extra 10g of protein at 100 calories a cup.
    Fritatta and Quiche or omelettes/crepes/scrambles are more of a weekend treat because no way I realistically have time to cook breakfast as often as I can "grab and go."
    If you do have the time to cook, protein powder pancakes can be pretty good, too. Serve with fruit or a portioned amount of genuine maple syrup.
    Sometimes prepackaged trail mix or mixed nuts are a good option to have on hand, too. One of those and a fresh fruit like a peach, banana, or apple is convenient and helps take the edge off of cravings.
    Making coffee or tea a morning ritual at home is also a good way to help you hit "full" faster.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Bacon Pancakes!
  • nissarayna
    nissarayna Posts: 70 Member
    My newest breakfast last few days is Fritatta.

8 large eggs
    1/2 a large yellow onion sliced
    8oz deli thin sliced ham, coarsely chopped
    1 cup shredded sharp cheddar

Place all ingredients in a large oven proof dish, whisk eggs and pour on top. Bake for 25-30 mins on 400degree. Let it cool for a good 15 mins or so.

Makes 8 servings. 157 cal per serving. I slice up into portions, cling wrap and refrigerate. Going to make more and freeze some. I just reheat in microwave for 60 seconds or so on 50% power.

I have this with fruit in the morning. Can put whatever you want in it, I just used what I had on hand and loved it.