Eating more but looking leaner?

2»

Replies

• TEJASRIM
    TEJASRIM Posts: 2 Member
    If you are looking for bulking, you need to follow a diet which has a proper ratio of macros. You need to eat more than your TEE and this will help you in gaining. getsetgo.fitness/#/public/homepage/

You can read more here about nutrition and training
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    HanMW96 wrote: »
    I'm just confused as to how I maintained/gained on less calories before increasing a week ago

A week is nothing. A month isn't much. 2-3 months is enough to identify and act on a pattern.

• HanMW96
    HanMW96 Posts: 51 Member
    TEJASRIM wrote: »
    If you are looking for bulking, you need to follow a diet which has a proper ratio of macros. You need to eat more than your TEE and this will help you in gaining. getsetgo.fitness/#/public/homepage/

You can read more here about nutrition and training

I'm not trying to bulk, I'm just experimenting with how much food I can maintain on!
  • HanMW96
    HanMW96 Posts: 51 Member
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I'm just confused as to how I maintained/gained on less calories before increasing a week ago

A week is nothing. A month isn't much. 2-3 months is enough to identify and act on a pattern.

I think I'm too scared of getting fat to wait that long :s
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,585 Member
    Connect trendweight.com to your fitbit account and monitor your trending weight.

I personally can easily see a 5lb scale weight variation and/or a 2lb trending weight variation. More than that and I would likely consider the change related to my energy balance as opposed to being attributable to sodium, or food in my gut, or anything else.

However, I am not influenced by monthly hormonal fluctuations, I do not low carb, I do not deplete or replenish my glycogen stores regularly due to intense and long exercise sessions, I seldom exercise to the point of "destroying my muscles" and having DOMS for several days, I do not retain water when I travel by air, and I very regularly visit the bathroom. Such water weight variation factors could certainly expand the maintenance weight range for someone else.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    I'm a 21 year old female, 1.69m tall, and when I last weighed myself three weeks ago I was 8st 10lbs. My body fat percentage sits at 15-17%. I've been using Fitbit for a week and I've learnt from it that I burn an average of 2800-3400 calories a day in total (always on my feet, go for 90 minutes of brisk walks, do gym classes).
    Here's why I'm confused:
    I had been maintaining my weight on 2100-2600 calories a day, but now I'm eating 2700 most days (it's physically hard to get more in and seems excessive anyway), yet I FEEL AND LOOK A BIT LEANER? Like my trousers are looser and my abs are a tiny bit more defined.. how is this possible? Could I have been only maintaining before due to suppressed metabolism? Help I'm so confused.
    EDIT- PLEASE NOTE I'M NOT INTENTIONALLY TRYING TO GET LEANER.

Hmm Fitbit grossly over-estimated my calories when I was using it, thats just my personal experience. I am a 6'3 guy, and even on a 2 hour heavy workout including a non-stop cardio of an hour with plenty of walk doesn't get me anywhere near 3400 calories. You could also be a genetic outlier, who knows, tract your weight, one week is nothing, 1-2 months more like it to see the real results. Weight fluctuates too much, especially on a high caloric intakes, with plenty of carbs. Mine can change up to 7-8 pounds easily.

Leaner as in looking more muscular? That could be due to the fact that you are starting to use certain muscle groups that hasn't been used in a while and they simply pop out more.
    This is common misconception by a lot of women; when they do a week of "booty workout", as their muscle groups flare up while on a bulk, they jump on the scale, and see a pound change. They look in the mirror and nod, as they think they gained a pound of muscle on their rear sides in a week.

No. None gains that kind of muscle with any kind of diet, or workout in a matter of weeks. Unless we are talking steroids, and that is totally a different story where there are papers with people on it making more muscle gains without working out than an individual trying to gain with heavy workouts.

Anyways, it seems more like a placebo effect, as most of the things you have mentioned are about how you feel. I mean thats great, if that works for you, why not? I would keep an eye on the scale, and check weekly in the next couple months period. If the results are inline with your goals, well, keep going! Couple hundred more calories are not going to make you look leaner realistically though.
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Wow that's alot of calories. Ur probably burning slot maybe fast metabolism and u are active. Its a good thing only food is expensive lol.