Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO and fat gain

Rammer123
Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
Just thought I'd through out an idea about the whole calories in vs calories out which would say that if I ate 3,500 calories over maintenance I should theoretically gain 1lb of fat that day.

So if I were to eat 10,000 calroies a day, with a caloric maintenance of about 2800-3200 depending on activity level, I should gain 2lbs of fat a day.

Just wanted to see what people that about this and if people believe this to be true? I don't believe the body would be able to consistently put on 2 pounds a day for let's say 2 weeks. That would put me up 28lbs of FAT in two weeks? I find that hard to believe.

Thoughts?

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    I once gained 40+ pounds over six weeks. It's a lot easier to eat at maintenance + 3500 than at maintenance + 7000.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Some poop floats and some poop sinks. Why might that be? I hypothesize that the floaters have a higher fat content, such that the fat survived every effort at the body to absorb it and escaped. Since absorbing the macros and nutrients in food takes actual time, it is entirely possible that extremely high calorie eating could speed the pile through the system so fast as to prevent complete digestion of all nutrients.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2017
    Bodies aren't 100% efficient. If you eat far over your maintenance calories, your body will utilize some amount less than 100% and the rest will be excreted.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    So if I were to eat 10,000 calroies a day, with a caloric maintenance of about 2800-3200 depending on activity level, I should gain 2lbs of fat a day.

Just wanted to see what people that about this and if people believe this to be true?

Not at all. Your body isn't 100% efficient, and (for me) efficiency decreases with food volume.

If I ate 10,000 calories in a day, a significant percentage of those calories would wind up in the toilet the next day, undigested. I guess I might be able to slowly increase my calories so my body got used to dealing with the massive intake, but by the time I got to 10,000 I'd be a fata$$.

• Rammer123
    Haha definetly agree that 10,000 calories for more than a day or two would be incredibly difficult to maintain.

I suppose the leaner you are and further from your set point the easier it may be to gain some fat. But at the same time it would seem that at some point though your body just can't process the nutrients quick enough though....
  • Rammer123
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html/
    (Mostly discusses weight loss, but he also addresses gain tangentially.)

It's not that simple. A couple reasons for starters: TEF would go up significantly and the energy balance equation within the body isn't static.

[ETA:] Another article Lyle wrote about it: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/3500-calorie-rule.html/

Yeah but the thermic effect corresponds to the amount of food you eat...

If I was eating all protein for 3000 calories, 2,250 after considering the TEF and then at 10,000 it would be 7,500 after the TEF, still a pound and a half a day of fat, at the most dramatic example, obviously would not be eating 10,000 of protein haha imagine that though, like what's that, about 20lbs of chicken? Hahaha

But what I'm saying is I don't think the TEF would really have an effect on the weight gain, I feel like there's got to be a limit to how quickly a given person can literally create fat.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Another factor that comes into play when increasing calories for some individuals is increased NEAT which mitigated weight gain.

I don't have time to look it up now, but there were studies done on prisoners and overfeeding which observed this, IIRC.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Set point isn't a thing.
  • ParadigmShifter
    ParadigmShifter Posts: 289 Member
    More reason why a couple hundred calories over or under your daily goal won't matter much for the majority of people. Food absorption, poor measuring, nutrition labels being off by up to 10%, activity level never being the same on a day to day basis, sleep patterns, hormone balance, etc. are just some reasons why.
  • Rammer123
    Set point isn't a thing.

Ok
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    This isn't difficult to figure out. Why don't you try it yourself and eat 10k/day for a week or two and see how fast you'll get fat.
  • slim1156
    slim1156 Posts: 31 Member
    can you really eat 10,000 calories in one day??
  • Rammer123
    slim1156 wrote: »

Haha yes, one day for sure, probably 2 back to back but not sure if I could do more than 2 in a row without feeling really terrible
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    slim1156 wrote: »

I reckon i may be able to do it at an all you can eat buffet, stay there for 4+
    hours and really smash the dessert bar. It would however not be enjoyable after the first hour, and i'd end up feeling sick after force feeding myself.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited May 2017
    CICO or TDEE calculations are pretty rough estimate, IMO. I have gained, lost and maintained all at the same caloric and activity level. I had health changes and food type changes and that caused the differences.

Have you ever watched Feltham's 5000 kcal challenges? He eats 5000kcals of a higher carb diet and a lower carb diet. I believe he also does vegan. Different results from different foods. http://live.smashthefat.com/5000-calorie-carb-challenge-day-21/

Wittrock does it with a 4000kcal diet challenge too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRop_ltYUlk

He gains less than expected.
  • jmolivia
    jmolivia Posts: 43 Member
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    Haha definetly agree that 10,000 calories for more than a day or two would be incredibly difficult to maintain.

Dooooooooooooonuts. Mmmmm, heavenly fried doooooooooooooonuts. I could get onboard with this diet >:)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    What in the blue *puppy*?