Progressing?

klrenn
klrenn Posts: 245 Member
Ok. I hit the wall with 5x5 and have been doing 3x5 with success. I think I'm going to hit a wall fairly soon with that and am unsure where to go after that.

Do I continue with the StrongLifts app (that I think then goes to 3x3) or do I switch to something else? I feel like going to 3x3 drops the volume soooo much...is madcow a better option? Last time i did wendler 5/3/1 and it just didn't work for me.

My foremost goal is strength, with body composition next.

Thanks!

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    For best results for strength I would recommend continuing with the app which I think will move to 1x5 after stalling on each lift 3 times. After that you could move to Texas or Madcow which are pretty similar. If you're still interested in strength mainly after you've stalled on Madcow I'd recommend the TSA intermediate program found here: http://thestrengthathlete.com/freebies/

5/3/1 can be a great program, but it's not meant to be done by itself (aka "jack *kitten* template") unless one is looking to maintain strength. It's really more of an idea of a program that uses the commonly found 5/3/1 base, and adds intensity, volume, frequency or all 3 depending on goals. Figuring out what and how to add requires a decent amount of research, planning, and tweaking which is understandably more than most people want to take on. Even the commonly found accessory programs are meant as building blocks that can and should be altered to fit goals.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Thanks so much!