Vacation woes

2»

Replies

• Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    nichell88 wrote: »
    So I've already posted about maintenance while on vacation, but I had another question. Does anyone travel with anything special (shakes/powder, bands, food scale, etc.) when going on vacation to support maintenance?

Ah! I'm about to go on a vacation myself and I'm in a similar boat.

I'm actually really looking forward to being able to dedicate so much time to working out, hotel gym, running on the beach, volleyball, hiking, kayaking... I'm sure by the time we go out to dinner we'll need every ounce of that food :).
  • manwaffles
    manwaffles Posts: 24 Member
    Preworkout & BCAAs for me, depending on whether there is a gym where I am going. If i am staying in a hotel then I will plan on working out in the hotel gym and thus will bring those along, however if the vacation spot is unlikely to have a gym I will leave them at home. Getting your workout in and bringing a couple supplements along doesn't necessarily mean you aren't enjoying yourself or relaxing. I tend to wake up early on vacation and get my workout in first thing, that way I can indulge the rest of the day without feeling guilty. The freaks come out at night after all.
    And Unless you are in the middle of competition prep or something similarly intense I can't see a reason to ever bring a food scale on vacation.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I travel a lot. I do bring instant grits for breakfast because I like them, they're easy, and they're 100 calories. I carry kind bars to keep me from eating a high calorie snack when I'm out. I carry tea bags because I love tea and there's no calories there. Saves a lot of money too.

I enjoy traveling and eating. I pick the specialty of where I'm going, have a reasonable portion, and enjoy every ounce of it. I work the rest of my calories around that and try to hit my exercise goals.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,975 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No...shakes and supplements have nothing to do with maintenance and traveling with a food scale seems pretty over the top to me.

<snip>

It's never been an issue for me...I enjoy my vacations.

I took my bathroom scale w/me on a 5 day wine tasting "vacation" last week. I took it because I was driving and could; wouldn't if I had to fly.

Glad I had it because I'm a data nerd and hate it when I am missing any data points. Weighed myself and logged all of my food daily.

Brought along protein/trail bars and dried apricots for snacks. Brought some protein powder too but didn't use it.

Ate "out" for lunch and dinner but just had coffee, a protein bar and some fruit for breakfast each day. Ate pretty much whatever I liked for lunch and dinner, including lots of wine and some beer, and even a pizza and some foie gras for lunch and dinner.

Didn't gain any weight to speak of and enjoyed my vacation immensely.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    leajas1 wrote: »
    I do! I find a gym wherever I am (except OBX - there are NO gyms there apparently, I don't get it) and pay the guest fee so I can continue to lift heavy during vacation. So, I bring my whey and also my pre-workout. I also bring protein bars in order to save calories for a big dinner with dessert every night.

There is a YMCA there. Some of the rental homes come w/ a temporary membership. Also, many of the neighorhoods have clubhouses that have small gyms. Check w/ the rental company of the cottage you are renting.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    "Vacation" and "woes" are two words that should not go together. The fact that you've put them together suggests you're worrying about this way too much. You're not going to set yourself back that much no matter what. Just go, have fun, and don't worry.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    I take my normal shakes for breakfast (I just like them), and I typically buy lunch to prepare myself (it's just cheaper) and then eat out at dinner - whatever I decide I want.

I also get in LOTS of steps, sightseeing, beach-walking, whatever.

Enjoy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Just returned from 4 nights at Tenque Verde Ranch...I was up every morning around 5:30 to gear up for my morning mountain bike ride...then it was off to breakfast and then the rest of the morning was spent horseback riding before lunch. After lunch we took it easy and spent some time around the pool enjoying some vodka tonics in the 100* temperatures and swimming with the kids. Dinners were great and they had a cowboy cookout one night that was fantastic.

I had no issues maintaining weight.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    I think I burn more calories per day on vacation than not.

I came back from a week long cruise with 10lbs. Within a week of going back to the normal grind, I was down 11lbs. Go figure, despite all the booze and delicious calorie disaster food everywhere, managed to lose a little weight? But then again, I made it a point to never use the elevator unless I had absolutely no other choice and we had pretty active excursions. It was amazing to me how much running around you have to do on a cruise ship. Got plenty of miles in just from that.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    I think I burn more calories per day on vacation than not.

I came back from a week long cruise with 10lbs. Within a week of going back to the normal grind, I was down 11lbs. Go figure, despite all the booze and delicious calorie disaster food everywhere, managed to lose a little weight? But then again, I made it a point to never use the elevator unless I had absolutely no other choice and we had pretty active excursions. It was amazing to me how much running around you have to do on a cruise ship. Got plenty of miles in just from that.

Oh yeah. My first summer of weight loss I did a great job maintaining on a cruise. Very active excursions as well. I worked out 6 out of the 8 days and didn't get ridiculous at every meal. Just came back well tanned and the exact same weight I left.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    When I travel for business I sometimes take resistance bands, but not when on vacation. I don't really worry about weight on vacation. I'm usually up several lbs. when I get back but it's mostly water from eating in restaurants a lot. If it doesn't go away in a few days I'll just lower my calories for a while till it's gone.