Shakeology

2»

Replies

• elyssadawn17
    elyssadawn17 Posts: 1 Member
    Optimum Nutritions protein powder is pretty reasonably priced and tastes good. Also much cheaper than Shakeology and you don't have to worry about the whole auto ship thing like with Beach Body. It's also more expensive than buying protein powder, adding milk and making your own shake, but I've been using the Muscle Milk Pro series shakes and would also recommend those. They work well for me because they're already ready to go.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    OP, I'm a reformed BB coach. Selling a barely average meal replacement shake for a ridiculous price is the only way coach's make any money. People spend so much money on it that they subconsciously convince themselves it is doing awesome things for them, until they finally realize they are just flushing their money down the toilet. They won't even let an independent lab confirm that what they list on the bag is even in there.

Personally, when it's hot out I like to have a shake in the morning rather than my usual oatmeal. I am currently using Trutein (which I think tastes amazing even just mixed with water!), and I throw it in a blender with 1/2 cup of 2% milk, 1/2 a cup of water, giant handfuls of whatever leafy green was cheap at the grocery (spinach, kale, romaine, whatever), some rolled oats, and some frozen berries (again whichever was cheapest). You can get samples of Trutein from their website which is awesome too.

I've also used Optimum Nutrition and EAS and thought both were great. I tend to be a little low on protein and found myself eating stuff I didn't really want to in order to hit the number, so finding a protein shake I really liked worked out great.

If you are already getting enough protein in your diet, you don't even really need a protein shake. All these protein powders, pre-workouts, post-workouts, energy drinks, etc are just pushed because they are money makers. I drink coffee before my workout and eat dinner right after so I don't need anything extra anyway :drinker:
  • lilndnfeather22
    lilndnfeather22 Posts: 40 Member
    If I want a shake in the morning to spare time I use Spiru-tein. It's way cheaper plus it's plant based and full of vitamins and minerals. I usually blend it up with water, some banana, and spinach.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/316219-spiru-tein-weight-loss/
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Are you planning on doing the complete shakeology diet or just using the powder? Personally think both are bad ideas. The powder is overpriced. You can easily buy a quality protein powder and a whole foods carb powder for cheaper. The diet itself is based on a 1200 calorie diet. Not accounting for what YOUR deficit should be at. It suggest not using any sodium. Which may be fine if you aren't active however if you workout or do active stuff it probably wont be. Sodium is important and most people who lift and eat whole foods tend to be in a sodium deficiency. I did a quick read on it just now so I might be missing other points. The way it looks tho is its a whole foods diet where you add in 1 shake a day, you could do that on your own with a better tasting and better quality powder.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    jglhklhgl wrote: »
    I eat a pretty high protein diet so is it pointless to do shakes?
    If you're meeting your protein goals, then YES it is pointless because you don't get extra credit for consuming more. It's just extra calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    I've read reviews on the shakes. People rave about how much energy it gives them and how it helped them accomplish their weight-loss goals. I have a coach from beach body saying that I should get into it. I guess I'm just wondering is it some type a super drink or is it just a regular protein shake and it's overpriced because it's "in right now".
    Anecdotes aren't evidence though. The only thing you need to do to meet your weight loss goals is be CONSISTENT with calorie deficit. The rest is just fluff with the exception of exercise to help retain muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, I'm a reformed BB coach. Selling a barely average meal replacement shake for a ridiculous price is the only way coach's make any money. People spend so much money on it that they subconsciously convince themselves it is doing awesome things for them, until they finally realize they are just flushing their money down the toilet. They won't even let an independent lab confirm that what they list on the bag is even in there.

Personally, when it's hot out I like to have a shake in the morning rather than my usual oatmeal. I am currently using Trutein (which I think tastes amazing even just mixed with water!), and I throw it in a blender with 1/2 cup of 2% milk, 1/2 a cup of water, giant handfuls of whatever leafy green was cheap at the grocery (spinach, kale, romaine, whatever), some rolled oats, and some frozen berries (again whichever was cheapest). You can get samples of Trutein from their website which is awesome too.

I've also used Optimum Nutrition and EAS and thought both were great. I tend to be a little low on protein and found myself eating stuff I didn't really want to in order to hit the number, so finding a protein shake I really liked worked out great.

If you are already getting enough protein in your diet, you don't even really need a protein shake. All these protein powders, pre-workouts, post-workouts, energy drinks, etc are just pushed because they are money makers. I drink coffee before my workout and eat dinner right after so I don't need anything extra anyway :drinker:
    So this.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    I've read reviews on the shakes. People rave about how much energy it gives them and how it helped them accomplish their weight-loss goals. I have a coach from beach body saying that I should get into it. I guess I'm just wondering is it some type a super drink or is it just a regular protein shake and it's overpriced because it's "in right now".

I drink it because I think it tastes good, and I bought it on ebay for a lower price. But the people who tell you it gives you extra energy and cuts out cravings and replaces 8 salads are either lying, or drinking the kool-aid. If you are getting enough protein they are TOTALLY not necessary. But if you like the taste and convenience of it, then go for it.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    These are my favorite shakes. They don't have the highest amount of protein, but they are the best tasting, IMO, and they keep hunger at bay for at least a few hours. idealshape.com
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    It's not a protein shake, it's meal replacement.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    I'll bet good money that the reviews you read saying how amazing it is are from people who started using it, then started selling it and are looking to on-sell and recruit. It's how it works.
  • lifeisahighway
    lifeisahighway Posts: 490 Member
    I drink it every single day. And yes I'm a coach. And I don't push Shakeology on anyone. Ever. Because it IS expensive. I focus on the workouts. The programs are top notch and now with On Demand having an entire year of streaming every workout is cheaper than any gym membership. I get angry when people think all Beachbody coaches do is push "overpriced shakes" when the truth is some of them do that, and others truly care about people. We hold several groups monthly and check in with people every single day to keep them going on their workout programs.

But back to the shake. The first time I drank it, I thought it wasn't going to be anything special. But I fell in love with it. I used to crave junk food. I would have to have something sweet every night and it usually ended up being a mug cake. After drinking it for 2 weeks my cravings for junk food went away, I no longer drank my morning cup of coffee, and I can't explain it but my mind felt better. Not telling you this to sell you on anything. Then after my first month, my second shipment was on its way but hadn't arrived yet and I ran out of my shakes. I had two days without it, so I just made some EAS protein powder and it was a HUGE difference. That protein powder was foamy and frothy and tasted empty. Shakeology seriously tastes dense, it tastes full of nutrients. Is it expensive? Yes it sure is. But just like you shouldn't only trust people who are selling it, don't just discount it because some people are negative on it.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I guess I'm looking for both? So would it be better if I bought a protein shake and add a greens supplement into it? I'm doing a beach body program and they're insisting shakeology but I can't fathom spending over 100 bucks in protein shakes a month

FWIW, I've done a few BB programs, and I have always found their recommended dietary plans to be completely off for my needs. I've had much better luck using the MFP calculations. I think if you are going high protein, there are better options out there that will give your more protein bang for your calorie buck. I personally don't think it is worth the money.

This! I do like enjoy the Beachbody workouts but I would never spend that kind of money on protein shakes.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    MrsBeccaM5 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I guess I'm looking for both? So would it be better if I bought a protein shake and add a greens supplement into it? I'm doing a beach body program and they're insisting shakeology but I can't fathom spending over 100 bucks in protein shakes a month

FWIW, I've done a few BB programs, and I have always found their recommended dietary plans to be completely off for my needs. I've had much better luck using the MFP calculations. I think if you are going high protein, there are better options out there that will give your more protein bang for your calorie buck. I personally don't think it is worth the money.

This! I do like enjoy the Beachbody workouts but I would never spend that kind of money on protein shakes.

I had a friend who bought shakeology and it was terrible. He offered it to me for free because he hated it.. wouldnt take it. But i did try their recovery shake before they did a formula switch and got 2 lbs for $20 shipped, it was really good.

For the most part, i stuck with their workouts until i decided to get into serious lifting.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Honestly, it takes like chalk.

I think it's especially worthless if you get enough protein from food.