No lunch

When I work the mornings I work in a restaurant and we are not allowed lunch we do not have a lunch break really I work from 10-4 and at 4:30 we have a staff meal by this point I'm starving, I'll try chewing on gum and sometimes I can sneak a coffee ... would it be best if I brought something small to munch on in the closet lol. I just feel like I go to hard during our staff meal because I'm so hungry!!!!

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Bring a protein bar or something you can eat. I'm sure someone takes smoke breaks? Take a snack break. Those two minutes won't kill anyone.
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Or eat it in the bathroom... :s
  • arrghmatey1
    arrghmatey1 Posts: 91 Member
    Get a tube of Relion Glucose Tabs they are a dollar at Walmart. They will take you through and keep you active and won't bust up your diet to much at 15 calories a tab. One tab should carry you 3 or 4 hours and stop those hunger cues.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Six hours with no break?! This can't be legal right?
  • missdelainie
    missdelainie Posts: 75 Member
    It's not legal but it happens a lot in restaurants
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited June 2017

It's a matter of state law, and most states do not require employers to allow meal breaks. https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/rest.htm It sucks, but that's what can happen when you don't have a union.

@missdelainie, by all means bring something small like a protein bar to munch on whenever you get a moment. Either that, or make sure you have a nice, large breakfast with plenty of protein that can carry you through the day.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Definitely a protein bar and a fruit leather, nuts and raisins...
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited June 2017
    ccsernica wrote: »

It's a matter of state law, and most states do not require employers to allow meal breaks. https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/rest.htm It sucks, but that's what can happen when you don't have a union.

Jeepers you dont necessarily need a union (though they are wonderful things), just some decent labour legislation!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    When I work the mornings I work in a restaurant and we are not allowed lunch we do not have a lunch break really I work from 10-4 and at 4:30 we have a staff meal by this point I'm starving, I'll try chewing on gum and sometimes I can sneak a coffee ... would it be best if I brought something small to munch on in the closet lol. I just feel like I go to hard during our staff meal because I'm so hungry!!!!

Eat a larger breakfast before you start work.
    Bring a granola bar, nuts, protein bar or similar that you can eat quickly.
    Drink milk, slim fast or ensure shakes.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    You can pack your lunch and eat it at the back perhaps? Do you get a 15 at least? Maybe eat it during this time.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    I could NOT go 6+ hours. I'd end up with a low sugar/crash on a regular basis. Surely you can bring something that you can munch here & there?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Jeepers you dont necessarily need a union (though they are wonderful things), just some decent labour legislation!

Decent labor legislation doesn't happen without an organization pushing for it, especially in heavily Republican states.
  • misskarne
    ccsernica wrote: »
    cross2bear wrote: »

Decent labor legislation doesn't happen without an organization pushing for it, especially in heavily Republican states.

Decent labor legislation is probably also a bit much to expect from a country that allows waiters to be paid practically nothing and expect the rest to be made up from "tips". Just pay a living wage! Make tips an extra, not a requirement for surviving!
  • misskarne
    misskarne wrote: »
    Decent labor legislation is probably also a bit much to expect from a country that allows waiters to be paid practically nothing and expect the rest to be made up from "tips". Just pay a living wage! Make tips an extra, not a requirement for surviving!
    It should also be noted that your country is not one that allows forced labour, indentured servitude or slavery. If you don't like working for tips, learn a trade, try another career, get another job.

My country does pay a living wage, and we do not get people to work for tips. And hearing "get a better job" is surely tiresome. There are a very finite number of those "better jobs", not everyone can have them. And if there were no wait staff, who would serve you in a restaurant?
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    How many people are waiting at restaurants to pay for school, trade, etc so that they can eventually get a better job?

This is getting off topic, but that argument is tired. OP, eat a bigger breakfast if you can and bring some snacks. Protein bars, hard boiled eggs, dried fruit, nuts, string cheese. Maybe look for another job that's more accommodating. Best of luck to you.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited June 2017
    Find another job, if you can.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    misskarne wrote: »
    Six hours with no break?! This can't be legal right?

Legal in the UK.

It is over 6 hours before you have to give a 30 minute unpaid break.

OP, have a larger breakfast before with slow release carbs in it.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    If t were me, I would bring as many snacks as possible. Protein shake, protein bar, apple, bananas, nuts. That way, you can also eat light at the staff meal.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Welcome to restaurant life. Been there done that. Nope typically there are no breaks. Staff generally tend to eat on the fly and under the radar. I worked the kitchens and it was a little easier but our wait staff was usually hiding around a corner to grab a quick bite between tables.

It is really hard to watch your food intake in that setting since it tends to be a grazing culture where everyone grabs whatever they can, usually dead items that were sent back untouched or that a cook messed up on.

Bring pre measure snacks that you can grab and eat on the run. Keep them out of manager sight and in a convenient location.

Eventually you do get accustomed to things and it isn't so bad.