What is a particular "health" food that you can't stand?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    dandelion leaves. they are so nutrient-dense but SO bitter.

You might be cooking them wrong. I don't know what my mom does to them, but they're heavenly when she cooks them (prepares them in some way then stir fries or uses in soup).

ETA: actually, you might be right. From the posts in this thread I might have broken taste buds and don't feel the bitterness in leafy greens, or maybe I'm just so used to it from a lifetime of eating leafy greens I don't notice it.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    dandelion leaves. they are so nutrient-dense but SO bitter.

The larger the leaves are are, the more bitterness. I don't mind the bitter and will eat them chopped up in a salad along with other greens. However, if you don't care for that you can blanch them for just a minute or so, then rinse in ice cold water and the bitterness will dissipate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Some people seem to enjoy bitter, some don't. I like it.

I have an annoying mental block about dandelion even though I've had it at restaurants and know it's good and good for you. Cooking it myself I just think of pulling dandelions as a kid and seeing them as nasty weeds and I just can't seem to think of them as food. It's ridiculous, I know.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Adding mint leaves to bitter greens cuts the bitterness significantly.
  • Dpsi219
    Dpsi219 Posts: 1 Member
    Cucumbers and Celery.... no real reason, just strongly opposed to eating them!
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    • Cherry tomatoes. I just can't. I try every year or so....but, I pop one in my mouth and bite, and it's like someone sneezed snot all over my tongue. Eugghh.
    • Cucumbers are meh. I use them only for rounding out veggies in a salad or as a vehicle to get other food to my mouth - like chicken salad or hummus. Same goes for celery.
    • Kale is ok, but I prefer it cooked over raw.
    • I can't do steamed broccoli or zucchini any more. I ate too much of it early on in my weightloss and now the mushy textures just make me gag.
    • Seaweed. Smells like dead fish. No thanks.
    • Turkey bacon. GTFO.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    edited June 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Some people seem to enjoy bitter, some don't. I like it.

I have an annoying mental block about dandelion even though I've had it at restaurants and know it's good and good for you. Cooking it myself I just think of pulling dandelions as a kid and seeing them as nasty weeds and I just can't seem to think of them as food. It's ridiculous, I know.

I had the same issue until I priced them at the organic grocery store! Now I just pick them out of my yard and try to keep my husband from spraying them all. (He leaves me one section that's chemical free, but I've picked it pretty clean.)
  • zanie13
    zanie13 Posts: 19 Member
    Zoodles. Just NO. If I want to eat spiral cut zucchini, I will do so on its own as a side, quickly sauteed with garlic and a herb blend.

Spaghetti squash. Also NO. I don't want squash in place of my noodles. I'll gladly eat squash for its own sake and love it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    zanie13 wrote: »
    Zoodles. Just NO. If I want to eat spiral cut zucchini, I will do so on its own as a side, quickly sauteed with garlic and a herb blend.

Spaghetti squash. Also NO. I don't want squash in place of my noodles. I'll gladly eat squash for its own sake and love it.

I'm guessing you're not diabetic? Noodles have just an unfair number of carbs. One 1/2 cup serving of spaghetti, which isn't half of what a restaurant would serve as a small portion, contains as many carbs as my pancreas can handle for a whole meal. That means no garlic bread, no marinara sauce, no nothing, since these contain carbs as well. Zoodles are better than nothing.

However, I agree that squash and noodles taste nothing alike. Shirataki noodles are expensive and taste weird. Lately my solution has been eating a modest portion of soba noodles, which are carby but lower on the glycemic index.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Spaghetti squash looks like noodles naturally. It tastes delicious naturally. There is absolutely nothing stopping from enjoying it for its own sake except you.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited June 2017
    XxMarciaxX wrote: »
    I cannot stand avocado or asparagus :s

Lol,those are both in my top10 favorite veggies! Brussell sprouts, lima beans and cauliflower are just pure hate in vegatable form.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Any of the"power" bar foods. Especially if loaded eith pea protein. Ick. Also peas.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    kombuchia. nasty. luckily i hang with other chefs and no one has been edgy enough to do chickpea blondies or cauliflower pasta/pizza/rice. thank goodness. fresh cooked yellow beets with olive oil and salt and pepper are amazing. some of the best salads i've had were kale. i think if something sucks then it could be operator error in preparation or lack thereof.

ok most power bars, almost all protein shakes and i have to mention kombuchia again. and again.

i like pulled pork though. just sayin.
  • lifeisgreatwith4
    lifeisgreatwith4 Posts: 9 Member
    Quest protein bars are absolutely gross!!
  • reachinmygoal2012
    reachinmygoal2012 Posts: 64 Member
    Quinoa, I HATE quinoa. I don't understand how anyone can stomach the texture or taste. Yuck.
  • RaeBeeBaby

I'm guessing you're not diabetic? Noodles have just an unfair number of carbs. One 1/2 cup serving of spaghetti, which isn't half of what a restaurant would serve as a small portion, contains as many carbs as my pancreas can handle for a whole meal. That means no garlic bread, no marinara sauce, no nothing, since these contain carbs as well. Zoodles are better than nothing.

However, I agree that squash and noodles taste nothing alike. Shirataki noodles are expensive and taste weird. Lately my solution has been eating a modest portion of soba noodles, which are carby but lower on the glycemic index.

I'm gluten-free so noodles are a challenge. The GF ones are so much better than they used to be. I often make the GF spaghetti, then spiralize a zucchini and mix them together with sauce on top. Cook the noodles, then throw in the zucchini into the hot water, stir it around for a bit, then drain. Tastes pretty darn close to a regular spaghetti dish with a lot less carbs.
  • mcgriffrenee
    mcgriffrenee Posts: 6 Member
    brussel sprouts :s
  • caittroy1234
    caittroy1234 Posts: 19 Member
    Avocado, beetroot, gherkins,kale,melon,cucumber. OMG Cauliflower rice the most disgusting thing ever.
  • fionadg
    fionadg Posts: 28 Member
    kale, avocado and celery >:)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Celery, oy.