loose skin an issue if weight loss of 50 - 60 lbs?

I've only lost 18 lbs so far, but I see a lot of comments/questions about loose skin here in the forums. If I get there at all, I'll probably "only" lose 60 lbs at the most, that's still a lot of weight, but I mean it's not as much as for someone who started at 250 or 300 lbs. Has any female approx. 5.6" 204 lbs lost roughly that amount and had a real issue with loose skin?

Replies

• LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Thank you both, that's encouraging! I don't anticipate loose skin on my arms so much, but on my stomach, since I seem to carry most of my weight in that area. And I've been strength training and want to get more into a little heavier lifting than what I've been doing so far, so that should help. You both look great, I hope to be able to post similar success in a year or so!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    I'm 4'9", 55, and have lost 60 pounds (I plan to lose another 20-40). At this point, I have no issue with loose skin.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Wow, great! You must have good genes!
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Do I love it? No. Would I rather be 73# heavier. Hell no.

Oh definitely, would rather lose the weight and deal with a little loose skin!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2017
    I've only lost 18 lbs so far, but I see a lot of comments/questions about loose skin here in the forums. If I get there at all, I'll probably "only" lose 60 lbs at the most, that's still a lot of weight, but I mean it's not as much as for someone who started at 250 or 300 lbs. Has any female approx. 5.6" 204 lbs lost roughly that amount and had a real issue with loose skin?

Im 5'6 1/2 almost 43 and lost about 44 lbs(started at 209lbs). no loose skin yet, have another 24 to go but so far doesnt look like there will be a lot of loose skin. it all comes down to genetics,elasticity in skin, and how fast you lose. they say the slower you lose the better it is.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Im down 130+lbs at 36 yrs old. Def. Loose skin, kinda gross but only when i move in certain ways. Still better than being overweight and not bad enough to justify surgery. Your results will vary. My loose skin didnt become a factor until after about 100lbs loss. Im 6' for reference.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I lost 50 or so pounds at 54. Now I'm 60 and I have a lot of loose skin in my thighs and arms. I think it's partly genetic but I also have very dry skin as I spend a lot of time outdoors walking and running and they don't get a lot of lotion. As others have said, I'd rather be wrinkly than fat.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Thank you all for your comments!

Arizona, you sure don't look like you've had 3 children and have ever been overweight!

Ann, that was a very good depiction of loose skin, thank you!

I'm not in a hurry with losing this weight. I've doing strength training and cardio all along, but have the feeling that because I eat at a deficit I neither really increase muscle nor endurance. Even thought about taking a break from the deficit once I've lost 20 lbs to build up some muscle, then go back to the deficit again and try to keep that muscle while losing another 20 etc. This might also help the skin to hold up more. Not sure yet, I kind of like eating approx. the same amount of calories every day, so eating at maintenance for a while, then going down to the deficit might mess me up in other ways. Got to get to the 20 lbs lost first, though!

You all enjoy your Sunday!
  • calumleckey
    calumleckey Posts: 1 Member
    I think it’s a genetics question with a lot of people. I’ve lost 65lbs over 18 months with 4 day weekly weight training. I’ve been left with horrendous loose skin that hasn’t budged!!! My body fat has been around 10% for 7 months but no change. 25yr old male so upset as you can imagine.
    Hoping it’ll shrink one day before I result too going under the knife! 😔
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Two kids and about 40lbs lost. I have some loose skin on my abs. My weight loss is recent so I am hopeful that some recomp and time will lessen the effects of it. The pregnancy with my youngest (whi is almost 5 now), my belly was absolutely huge. No stretch marks though so if my lose skin is the badge I have to wear for carrying him so be it.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    I've lost 86 pounds and I have loose skin. At 50 pounds I didn't, but somewhere around the 70 pound mark it started showing up. I think too it has to do with your height; 80 pounds lost on someone who is 6 feet tall will not give as much loose skin as it would to someone 5'2