How do I add exercise without it giving me back calories?

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but when I exercise I don't want to add more calories to my day, I just want to track that I exercised and burned extra! So far I just haven't logged my exercise, but it would be nice to. Any tips? Thank you!

Replies

• Jadedinosaur
    Jadedinosaur Posts: 41 Member
    Just don't eat them if you don't want to? If you are doing strength training you can log it as strength training and it doesn't add calories afaik.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Go to the goals section on app menu scroll to bottom switch add exercise to off
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    lauracups wrote: »
    Go to the goals section on app menu scroll to bottom switch add exercise to off

This is only available to Premium members

OP, you can either purchase Premium, which offers the suggestion quoted, or log your exercise as 1 calorie. But if you're following MFP's calorie goals, you're expected to eat exercise calories back.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I manually adjust it down to "1 calorie" because I use the TDEE method also, but my FitBit adds them regardless... I hate how it messes up my macros!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Not eating exercise cals back might not be a good idea, you don't want a too aggressive deficit.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Not eating exercise cals back might not be a good idea, you don't want a too aggressive deficit.

If OP set their own calories and macros based on TDEE from another calculator then no, they do not. They'd be double dipping.
  • Colectable93
    Colectable93 Posts: 38 Member
    I wait until the end of the day right before I complete my entry to add my exercise then I am on track for the day
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    I use the notes section to keep track of my exercise. It's only so that I know what I did on any particular day...I don't even try to figure out how many calories my exercise burns.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    I adjust my calories burned on exercise to what I want to eat. I use Google Fit to log exercise automatically (counts my steps and cycling) and when it imports to MFP, it logs the cycling as a much faster pace than I did it. So I end up adjusting it to about half that for calories.

Set up MFP to do what you want to do. Do what it says. Log food, log exercise, it works out.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

If OP set their own calories and macros based on TDEE from another calculator then no, they do not. They'd be double dipping.

That's unlikely given that they specifically say they want to track that they burned "extra." I read that as creating a larger deficit, not that they are already taken into account with a different method of calculating a calorie goal.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    I guess I just don't understand what you want. Like you want to add exercise but you don't want it to add calories, but you want to see the calories you burned... I just don't get it lol. That seems like an oxymoron. If you want to see that you burned extra calories then you log the exercise and don't eat that number of calories extra.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

My FitBit One is far less generous with calories than the MFP database and I comfortably eat 100% of the calories I earn from it back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    There's really no reason to have your exercise in MFP except to credit yourself for the calories you burned. No other value at all.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Just ignore the calories added back. No one is forcing you to eat more than you want to.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    I log my exercise and enter "1" for calories burned. I like to keep track of what days and how much I exercise but I don't give myself the calories to eat back because I'm using TDEE for my calories which already accounts for my activity.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    I wait until the end of the day right before I complete my entry to add my exercise then I am on track for the day

That is what I do also.