Eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising at least a 1000 and not losing weight

Replies

• andrebessa93
    andrebessa93 Posts: 12 Member
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments above... I'm a bit concerned about some of the comments above.
    I am indeed eating 1,200 calories per day (I will be upping this to 1,500 on the back of all your comments).
    To clear things up, I am indeed burning 1000 calories, sometimes more per day by doing things like HIIT, Zumba and then after it 30 mins non-stop of swimming. I feel incredibly fit and full of energy. Therefore, 200 calories net, yes.

Could this diet really be doing me this much harm if all I want to do now is exercise, move, actually get on? Previously I was a total couch potato. Now I run a 5K with no issues - all of this in 1.5 months. training hard everyday.

Thanks for all of the advice above guys!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments above... I'm a bit concerned about some of the comments above.
    I am indeed eating 1,200 calories per day (I will be upping this to 1,500 on the back of all your comments).
    To clear things up, I am indeed burning 1000 calories, sometimes more per day by doing things like HIIT, Zumba and then after it 30 mins non-stop of swimming. I feel incredibly fit and full of energy. Therefore, 200 calories net, yes.

Could this diet really be doing me this much harm if all I want to do now is exercise, move, actually get on? Previously I was a total couch potato. Now I run a 5K with no issues - all of this in 1.5 months. training hard everyday.

Obese people can carry a high deficit for a while, but it will eventually make you feel bad and do bad things to your metabolism. Look at your iron intake, it's pretty tough to get the recommended amount on 1200 cal.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    You can gain a lot more water than you can lose fat depending on sodium, carb intake etc. 1 week is not nearly enough data. May I recommend the happy scale app? It tracks your trends over time vs getting all hung up on the daily ups and downs.
  • honeybuns08
    honeybuns08 Posts: 13 Member
    You definitely need to eat more if your burning that many calories. I like ninerbuff's post above.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Hi guys,

You are NOT burning 1000 calories a day, by exercise. Plain and simple. You probably need to learn a bit more about BMR and exercise calories. This is a nice explanation of how this works.

https://www.jillianmichaels.com/blog/health-and-fitness/how-many-calories-do-you-burn-day

You will not lose weight if you are not eating fewer calories than you burn.
  • justinblair2010
    justinblair2010 Posts: 1 Member
    I agree with everyone else's statement so far, regarding calorie intake. You're not eating enough. The other thing to remember, as much workout as you're getting, you're building muscle mass (as long as your not being malnourished). BMI and muscle are also important factors, when looking at overall health, and muscle mass will impact weight, too.

Like others have suggested, higher calorie intake will help you with your weight loss, not to mention, give you more energy to complete your workouts. The important part about better health is consistency in your nutrition, and it should be proper nutrition at that. If you haven't done so already, I highly suggest looking for a personal trainer that can coach you in nutrition and strength training. I suggest using a trainer for about 6 months and they can help you gauge where you're at in your overall health, and get you closer to your health goals.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Are you willing to open your diary?
  • andrebessa93
    How do you open the diary?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,879 Member
    Change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • andrebessa93
    Although I appreciate everyone's comments above, I'm not a liar and I don't like being called one.
    I wear an apple watch that record all my movements and tells me how many calories I've lost. I have a target of 1,050 calories to burn a day.
This discussion has been closed.