Eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising at least a 1000 and not losing weight

Replies

• andrebessa93
    andrebessa93 Posts: 12 Member
    Public Diary - enjoy
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Although I appreciate everyone's comments above, I'm not a liar and I don't like being called one.
    I wear an apple watch that record all my movements and tells me how many calories I've lost. I have a target of 1,050 calories to burn a day.

The calorie burns tracked by wearable devices like the Apple Watch are estimates. In some cases, they may be off. It's not a case of whether or not you're lying, it's a case of whether or not the estimate you're getting from your device is misleading. In some cases, people find them to be very accurate and other people find that they are over-estimating calorie burn.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited June 2017
    Regardless of if his apple watch is accurate or not, he's a 5'9' 200 lb male and claims to be eating just 1200 calories and exercising every day. Fat would be absolutely melting off him if this was true.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    It's only been a week since he last saw a drop on the scale. I'm far more inclined to say this is a normal fluctuation that you'd expect to see during weight loss. Weight loss isn't linear. Our weight isn't a static number. And all that jazz.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Regardless of if his apple watch is accurate or not, he's a 5'9' 200 lb male and claims to be eating just 1200 calories and exercising every day. Fat would be absolutely melting off him if this was true.

First, it's been a week since he lost weight (IIRC) and people don't lose weight every week even when they are in a deficit.

Second, it's possible that his CI estimate is also off -- it wouldn't be the first time we saw someone honestly mistaken about the amount they were eating.

My point is that things could be inaccurate without the OP lying (which is what he feel he's being accused of).
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    You need to look up a BMR calculator, I'm thinking it's at least 1800 since mine is 1400 and i'm a female that's smaller than you. You really need to eat more if you want to continue to work out this much. if you're inputting your exercise and food with any accuracy and MFP is telling you that you have calories left to eat...EAT THEM. Otherwise you're wasting your time on here.
  • andrebessa93
    I started my diet on the 04th of May 2017.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member

You are NOT burning 1000 calories a day, by exercise. Plain and simple. You probably need to learn a bit more about BMR and exercise calories. This is a nice explanation of how this works.

https://www.jillianmichaels.com/blog/health-and-fitness/how-many-calories-do-you-burn-day

You will not lose weight if you are not eating fewer calories than you burn.

Two problems here.

1. You don't know how many calories the original poster is burning. (Part of that may be semantics - more below)
    2. Size matters. Quite a bit. The blog entry you mention references rates for medium-sized women and men.

Most who post here and are working on weight loss do not fall into the medium size category. When your body becomes more adept at activity, and after it has lost additional weight that it has to move, it is more efficient, and will burn less calories. When I weighed 240, I burned as much walking for an hour on hills as I do in an hour-long medium jog, now that I'm 40 pounds lighter.

The semantics part:

If you set your activity level sedentary and count all your walks from there as exercise, you can easily burn 1000 in "exercise".

If you set your activity level to active and those walks become "already counted", you won't burn that much in "exercise".

How you set up your counting matters. So it's not that plain and simple. You can prove that point easily in your own settings.

Please don't read more into the response than was intended - which was just a general intro, FOR THE OP, into what BMR is, and how exercise adds to those calories.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member

You are NOT burning 1000 calories a day, by exercise. Plain and simple. You probably need to learn a bit more about BMR and exercise calories. This is a nice explanation of how this works.

https://www.jillianmichaels.com/blog/health-and-fitness/how-many-calories-do-you-burn-day

You will not lose weight if you are not eating fewer calories than you burn.

Two problems here.

1. You don't know how many calories the original poster is burning. (Part of that may be semantics - more below)
    2. Size matters. Quite a bit. The blog entry you mention references rates for medium-sized women and men.

Most who post here and are working on weight loss do not fall into the medium size category. When your body becomes more adept at activity, and after it has lost additional weight that it has to move, it is more efficient, and will burn less calories. When I weighed 240, I burned as much walking for an hour on hills as I do in an hour-long medium jog, now that I'm 40 pounds lighter.

The semantics part:

If you set your activity level sedentary and count all your walks from there as exercise, you can easily burn 1000 in "exercise".

If you set your activity level to active and those walks become "already counted", you won't burn that much in "exercise".

How you set up your counting matters. So it's not that plain and simple. You can prove that point easily in your own settings.

Please don't read more into the response than was intended - which was just a general intro, FOR THE OP, into what BMR is, and how exercise adds to those calories.

Respectfully intended....I just responded to the actual post, which said "You are NOT burning 1000 calories a day, by exercise. Plain and simple."

If you didn't mean that, no big thing, but 1000 calories burned is not unreasonable, for the reasons I gave in the response. I didn't read into anything, I just read the post. The context of exercise and where activity falls (either within the normal count or as exercise, matters with respect to the claim).

And I agree, that the concept of BMR and exercise is good general info. I didn't want to debate a side issue at all - only wanted to clarify that exercise, within the context of how it's used around here, can show up in a couple of ways.
  • andrebessa93
    Yesterday I burnt 1,445 calories whilst moving, according to the apple watch.
    I went o the gym in the morning and done HIIT training on the treadmill and then done 20 mins in the pool. after that my partner and I went to the peak district and we walked one of the moderate walks (part of which under pouring rain) which was 4 miles long (meant to be 7.3 miles but it was far too wet to continue.
    We then got home, showered and headed out to the cinema.
    We're both losing weight, we're both active and doing so much more than we were doing. Although my partner is eating more than I am (c. 1600 calories per day). I have decided to up my calories to 1,500 a day based on the comments here.
  • belgitude66
    belgitude66 Posts: 5 Member
    stop eating junk food. control what you spend on K a day on a other way. I practice Hiit since mounths 300/400K par session 35min 3tim a week + your body needs rest between Hiit sessions so you will use the "after burn effect"
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Yesterday I burnt 1,445 calories whilst moving, according to the apple watch.
    I went o the gym in the morning and done HIIT training on the treadmill and then done 20 mins in the pool. after that my partner and I went to the peak district and we walked one of the moderate walks (part of which under pouring rain) which was 4 miles long (meant to be 7.3 miles but it was far too wet to continue.
    We then got home, showered and headed out to the cinema.
    We're both losing weight, we're both active and doing so much more than we were doing. Although my partner is eating more than I am (c. 1600 calories per day). I have decided to up my calories to 1,500 a day based on the comments here.

Yay! I love love love the peak district. We hiked the difficult trail round eyam on friday :)
This discussion has been closed.