Low carb alternatives??

logging my macros daily but noticing my carb intake is stupidly high and i cant seem to hit my protein target. 40% each.

Really trying to drop fat.

Any food suggestions or supplement suggestions low in carbs high in protein?

Replies

• anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Chicken, eggs, beef, really any meat. Without knowing your stats, macro goals, and dietary preferences, I can't give much better advice.
  • WelaKelly
    WelaKelly Posts: 3 Member
    Poultry, fish, red meat, low-fat cheese, eggs, and tofu.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    logging my macros daily but noticing my carb intake is stupidly high and i cant seem to hit my protein target. 40% each.

you drop fat in a caloric deficit. it doesnt matter what your macros are.but you do need to try and hit your protein.carbs dont make you fat either. I lost a lot of fat and I eat a LOT of carbs
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    There are lots of low carbers, ketoers over at

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

excellent resources and lots of friendly people.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Protein powder.

Also 40% protein for a woman is insanely high (you don't need THAT much protein on a daily basis) unless you are lifting SUPER heavy EVERY single day (and probably not even then)!!
  • annahath150
    annahath150 Posts: 8 Member
    Just drink mummy magic weight loss tea..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

dropping fat is a function of your calorie deficit, not what % your carbs are ....
  • chrispd87
    chrispd87 Posts: 9 Member
    Just drink mummy magic weight loss tea..

...if you want to waste your money
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    40% seems a high goal.
    Why so high?

You do realise that losing fat is a function of your calorie deficit not your macro ratio I assume?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    40% protein is crazy high. Try aiming for 0.8 grams protein per lb of body weight. Any kind of meat or fish, greek yogurt, eggs, lentils, string cheese, and then a protein shake if I'm still falling short.
  • chloecopey7
    chloecopey7 Posts: 21 Member
    Yes i am aware that i need to be a caloric deficit, but i just wanted to limit my carb intake. Also, yes i know 40% is super high, i just wanted to see if getting more protein would benefit me. I havent found an eating plan that works for me yet
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Yes i am aware that i need to be a caloric deficit, but i just wanted to limit my carb intake. Also, yes i know 40% is super high, i just wanted to see if getting more protein would benefit me. I havent found an eating plan that works for me yet

if you mean eating more protein will help you to lose weight? no it wont,but it will help you retain some of the lean mass you do have. if you arent feeling full then protein may make you feel fuller, but then it may not you have to see what macro or combo of macros make you feel satiated. why do you want to limit your carb intake? if you eat low carb you need to up your fats.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

why not just plug your stats into MFP, set it for one pound per week loss, and eat to that number?
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    I second those that said 40% protein is too high. At the very end of my weight loss I was trying for 35% and it was very hard to get.

I don't believe there is any evidence for and more protein being beneficial once you get past about 1.2 g/lb body weight.

I understand that eating protein will help you lose weight because it will keep you feeling full. This is exactly what worked for me. I found it made sense for me to eat protein in the morning and it would help all day. There is evidence this works so give it a try.

As for high protein low carb foods.
    Cottage Cheese is one of my favourites. I also found Dry Curd Cottage cheese to be exceptionally good at keeping me satiated. It isn't all that tasty by itself but you can mix it with things or add spices or salt or something.

Edamame beans are really good at keeping me full. You will find that they have a fair amount of carbs too, but they make up for it by also being very high in fiber so that kind of makes up for it. Vegetable protein tends to be more satiating than animal protein. I have found this to be the case with Edamame.

Also Chick Peas are great for the same reasons. Lentils as well. Very high in fiber, high in protein. Excellent at filling you up. They are also real food.

Try having an egg, lentil, dry cottage cheese based breakfast. You'll feel like it will last you all day :)