Grapefruit Diet

Has anyone tried this 12 day plan? Please share pros/cons/general reviews B)

Replies

• WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    I did it once for two months on my doctor's recommendation. He promised I would lose 50 pounds in that time frame, but I only lost 24. I felt sure he would bother to do some tests or something to figure out why it didn't work the way it was supposed to, but he only said, "24 pounds? Well, that's ok."

But it wasn't ok with me. I did all th work, I want all the results. Of course, he probably thought I cheated half the time. I didn't though. I did what I was supposed to do, but I didn't get what I was supposed to get out of it.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    So 70's. I'm having a flashback. But, as long as 70's fashions don't come back....
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    If you like grapefruit - eat it. I dont imagine it would be hard t o fit into your calorie allowance.

As part of your long term diet - but no need for a silly 12 day crash diet of it.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    wow, I am getting heartburn just thinking about eating that much grapefruit!
  • EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    And now I have Weird Al Yankovic's song "Grapefruit Diet" (to the tune of "Zoot Suite Riot") stuck in my head. Fun song, not so fun diet.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2017
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I thought that was a thing back in the 80's when I was a kid. Is it back? LOL.

This^

I wonder if they have re-vamped it at all.....or if it's still the (old fashioned) very low fat diet that it once was.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Wow.......

Per WebMD - this fad diet has been around since the 1930's!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Okay, I know nothing about the Grapefruit Diet. But I do know that researchers at the University of California, San Diego, looked at the utility of eating grapefruit a few years back. They looked because it is a food so commonly associated with dieting.
    In a study, they had their subjects eat a half a grapefruit before meals, and they found that the grapefruit eaters lost more weight than a group of control subjects who ate a similar diet without the grapefruit.
    They obviously had no clear cut explanation of why this might be so, but they speculated that maybe grapefruit primed the insulin system for the meal.
    Was it a 20-pound loss in two weeks? No. Course not. But grapefruit did appear to promote weight loss to an appreciable degree.
    On the other hand, I have never seen that this study was replicated.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Did I just fall into a wormhole and pop out in 1978? Internet seems to be working, so I guess not.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I love grapefruit cups from Costco... as a snack. Eating grapefruit for 12 days sounds dreadful.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Wow.......

Per WebMD - this fad diet has been around since the 1930's!

and yet there are so many people still fat...
  • iheartmakeup01
    iheartmakeup01 Posts: 35 Member
    edited June 2017
    My boyfriend has lost 8lbs on the scardale diet in one week, but keep in mind he is 6'6. There is an app for it on the android, essentially you don't eat any carbs (except fruit) , it's a high protein diet and very low fats. Most people can't stick through it because it's terrible lol. By restricting yourself on a diet like that, you may result in binge eating and regain all the weigh you lost from its stringent diet.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Bring back scrunchies from your 1982 time warp