Really Hungry Today - See Anything Wrong With My Food?

CMNVA
CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
Probably should have posted this in the Food forum but I've already copied the below in here. So, I'm back on track with MFP and this is day 3. I did pretty well the last 2 days at the same calorie count; however, today I am just starving. I haven't exercised since Saturday so that's not the cause. Take a look and let me know what you think. Maybe not enough fat, but usually if I incorporate that, I get less to eat it seems and I'm not overly satisfied. I ended up having to have two of my Skinny Cows just now rather than one. I feel hungry before my meal, I eat, and then I feel more hungry. Had this same chili yesterday and it felt satisfying. And no I don't normally eat the same food for days, I just made a lot and then wasn't able to cook today.

Maybe it's just me readjusting to a lower caloric intake. To think that last year I was doing 1400-1600 calorie days.

Breakfast

Tea - Brewed, prepared with tap water (black tea), 1.5 cup (8 fl oz) 4
Domino - Sugar, 2 tsp 30
Organic Valley - Low Fat Milk 1% Milk Fat, 0.13 cup 14
Organic Valley - 1% Organic Milk, 0.33 cup 36
Trader Joe's - Shredded Bite Size Wheats Cereal, 53 g 195
Total - 279

Snack (1)

Domino - Sugar, 1 tsp 15
Total 33

Lunch
Turkey Pineapple Chili, 1.13 serving(s) 284
Siggi's - 2% Nectarine (seasonal) yogurt, 6 .3 ounce 140
Pop Corn - Skinny Pop, 14 gram 75
Total - 499

Snack (2)

Domino - Sugar, 1 tsp 15
Total - 33

Dinner

Romaine lettuce - Chopped Romaine, 2 cup 16
Salata - Spring Mix, 0.67 cups 5
Home - Campari Tomatoes - 87.5 g 22
Hass - Avocados, 45 g 75
Mushroom - Raw, White (Medium), (18g) 4
Wegmans - Balsalmic Vinegar, 1 tbsp 10
Oil - Olive, 0.5 tablespoon 60
Turkey Pineapple Chili, 1.5 serving(s) 379
Total - 571

Snack (3)
Skinny Cow - Greek Yogurt Salted Caramel Bar, 2 bar 200

TOTAL: 1,615

Replies

• paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    njnhekairo wrote: »
    Hmmm maybe up your protein?

I completely agree. Try eating some more protein, cut the sugar, and try to eat unrefined carbs.
  • CMNVA
    Yes, my protein was right at goal today; however, my chili did have some edamame in it that I had not initially factored into the recipe count so it might be a little higher.

I've cut my sugar (in my tea) way back, but I can't do without it and I rely on my hot tea to get me through the day. I'm already not enjoying it as it is...!!

Last year I was pretty successful at moderating my diet (along with the sugar in my tea) but trying to figure out why I am so ravenous today.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    What is your calorie goal? How much were you eating before the last 3 days? If it was a big drop you might need to adjust more gradually.

Generally protein, fats and fiber help people feel satisfied. If you are not meeting one or all of those goals you might try to and see if it makes a difference in how you feel.
  • CMNVA
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Is it just today? Sometimes I'm just randomly hungrier for no obvious reason. Maybe you're fighting off a virus or you exerted yourself more than you realized doing something. I'll try to stave it off with a cup of coffee or I might just let myself eat a little bit more. If you start to notice a pattern, then compare the days you did fine with the days you had increased appetite and see what's different.

Well, I have been hungry for all the days I've cut back, but I feel out of control today, mostly all day. Hopefully this is just a blip.
  • CMNVA
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    What is your calorie goal? How much were you eating before the last 3 days? If it was a big drop you might need to adjust more gradually.

Generally protein, fats and fiber help people feel satisfied. If you are not meeting one or all of those goals you might try to and see if it makes a difference in how you feel.

My calorie goal is between 1600 and 1650 and I *think* I should feel pretty good with that; I used to anyway. Prior to getting back under control, I had been eating pretty much whatever I wanted. I was probably in the 2500 calorie range per day, sad to say. I'm sure that's part of it. But I did so well on Saturday/Sunday/Monday with how I felt.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    How much fat are you getting? The only items that I see that looks to have much fat in it are the avocado and olive oil - and that's only 135 calories so 15 g of fat from those two items.

If you're way under your fat goal, that might be responsible for you being hungry. Many people find satiety from a combination of fat, protein and fibre. You've definitely got fibre covered.
  • Matt5115
    Matt5115 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2017
    Personally, my best advice to kill hunger is a huge change in diet. I love intermittent fasting. Push all or most of your calories to the end of the day, you may even eat less calories because it'd be around bed time and you'll end up falling asleep. Eating simply makes you crave more food, especially if it isn't much protein/fat/fiber. Like I said, I'd try out intermittent fasting, it helped kill cravings for junk food and also conpletely stopped hunger. It's also very good for fat loss. If you don't feel like doing this - eat more protein/fat and take fiber pills or something. Eat eggs for breakfast(mostly egg whites as they're low in calories and high in protein). Good luck.
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Drink water, lots of it.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    I don't know where you live, but here in the Northeast, it got unseasonably cool and rainy. The dreaded "comfort foods" weather.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    How do you feel about artificial sweeteners like Stevia drops?

Your protein doesn't show up until lunch. How about an egg instead of cereal for breakfast?

Agreed. If I don't front-load my day with high protein, I'm a hungry beast for the rest of the day. So I usually eat higher protein earlier in the day and then eat more carbs (which I love) later in the day. I'm personally better off eating cereal as a before bed snack. (Carbs before bed seem to help me sleep better.)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I read today that dates, a few dates, can put an end to hunger cravings quickly. That, and help prevent cancer, osteoporosis, night blindness, and allergies.
  • iheartmakeup01
    iheartmakeup01 Posts: 35 Member
    edited June 2017
    It doesn't seem like you're eating a lot of protein, try substituting ting using whole sources of protein versus milk. Do you like pancakes? Kodak pancakes is pretty descent in carbs and has a good amount of protein
  • CMNVA
    Hi everyone, thanks for taking a look. I went to bed about 2 hours after I posted so I couldn't answer back.

Some of my limitations:

I don't do artificial sweeteners. I've tried them all and I do not enjoy the taste they give to my tea. I used to use Equal all the time and was okay with that, but after several years, I started to have bladder irritation problems. Took a bit to figure out it was the Equal (aspartame). Once I stopped it, I was better in about 3 days. So I stick with sugar but try to minimize what I put in my tea. I truly love lots of milk and sugar but I have definitely scaled back on it so that it's passable. I need my tea (caffeine) through the work day!

Breakfast: So I get up at 4:00am each day and am at my carpool by 5AM. I am not hungry mostly (well, today I am) nor do I have time to cook. I generally enjoy eggs so I try to eat them on the weekend; however, I do NOT enjoy eggs that aren't right out of the pan. For instance, cold hard boiled eggs kind of nauseate me. I have no options for making much to eat at work so cereal as become my mainstay. The shredded wheat or Barbara's Cinnamon Puffins will keep me fairly satisfied until lunch. I know it's low protein, but it's about all I can think about in the morning.

I think you all are probably correct in that I didn't eat much the previous days and it could be catching up to me. I felt okay those days so I tried to just go with it and not force myself to 1600 calories. But last night, I went to bed hungry. And here I sit at work with my stomach just GROWLING!!! I brought some almonds with me today and some different things to try so we shall see. I'm having Greek Tacos for dinner tonight so I need to save some calories for the tortillas that seem to be carb bombs!! But the meat should get my protein in the right place, it will just be later today.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    For me, if my snack was tea with sugar, it would set me up to binge. Maybe try to have some protein with it or some fat.
  • CMNVA
    duddysdad wrote: »
    For me, if my snack was tea with sugar, it would set me up to binge. Maybe try to have some protein with it or some fat.

Yeah, I know that looks funny in my food diary. I actually don't have a snack between breakfast and lunch (I don't really feel I need it). Nor do I snack between lunch and dinner. However, I do have tea and that just seems to be the most appropriate place to record it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    If I were really ravenous and had to lose weight, I'd sacrifice the sweet tea, the popcorn, the bars. I'd cut out the snacking (or whatever you want to call it, nothing calorific between meals, no matter if it is food or drink), just eat at meals, and make sure all meals had plenty of vegetables, protein and fat. I'd aim to eat as much variety as possible. OK, this is what I'm doing anyway :D

If you have set your calories properly, maybe you just have to readjust your expectations. Appetite isn't the same as hunger, and appetite can increase when you eat, and hunger can take some time to subside after you've eaten. Worrying about having to restrict intake can also make you more hungry or create cravings. Take a walk or just find something else to do or think about.