Any Coffee ideas?

2»

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I usually drink mine black, but if I want a treat I make my own protein frap - 1 bottle caramel Premier protein with 8-12 oz black coffee and blend with ice to preferred consistency. There is also a barista on IG who just started posting Starbucks recipes with macros (@fit_with_coffee).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Starbucks: Iced Americano w/ cream
    Dunkin: Iced dark roast w/ cream
    McDonalds: I just get a hot coffee with cream because I can't get them to give me iced without sugar on the first try no matter what I say or do.

You can add sugar free flavorings at all these places if you are into those.

I have the same problem at McDonald's. I tell them at least three times when I'm ordering "no sweetener of any kind, no plain syrup even, just coffee, ice, and cream" (or "just coffee and ice," depending on my mood). I have even snagged shift managers who happened to be passing behind the person working the register to show them what to push on the screen to get the order right. Then I hover at the counter nearest the coffee machine (usually it's next to the drive-thru window) and try to figure out when they get to my order so I can point out that it's not supposed to have any sweetener added. But if they end up getting my order wrong after all my effort, I ask them to make it again. They're always willing to do it, and they always get it right the second time.

It's not a calorie thing for me. Sweetened coffee tastes absolutely vile to me. Coffee is meant to be bitter. I'd rather have salt in it than sugar. (No, I don't like salt in my coffee. I just think it would be less disgusting than sugar.) The first time I had cold brew (black) I was on the fence over whether it was too sweet, but I got to like it, as long as it's served strong.

Things are looking up, though. I stopped at my usual half-way-to-beach McDonalds to recaffeinate recently, and they had self-service order screens inside the restaurant. (Pay with a credit card at the screen, or have it print your order and pay at a register if you prefer.) My coffee was right the first time, with no more effort than ordering anything else. Hopefully these self-service screens spread rapidly to all McDonalds throughout the land.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    A cup of coffee.
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited June 2017
    I always order a skinny latte with a sweetener if out. Otherwise, at home I make 2 cups in my Keurig in the morning. I set it for 8 oz. and add 1 sweetener and 2 Tblsp if Fat Free Half and Half. Just 40 cal. a cup.

I'm a sucker for Pumpkin Spice Lattes though. I love them!
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    I too am a coffee connoisseur & typically make mine at home (kona) but when I go out, i like the iced coffee with flavored syrup. I tried the toasted coconut milk iced coffee at Starbucks & it was good & only 70 calories
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,772 Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm a sucker for Pumpkin Spice Lattes too, this is my all time favorite. I get a skinny which isn't too bad. But most of the time Americao with a sugar free syrup
  • postchi1
    postchi1 Posts: 30 Member
    Americano w/ Sugar free syrup :D
  • 1Binger
    1Binger Posts: 4 Member
    Black iced with just milk is my go-to
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    My usual DD order is a large blueberry iced with whole milk and 3 Splendas.

If I go for hot coffee, just whole milk, no sweetener.
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    I have refused to give up my flavored creamer. I have started buying the International Simply Pure or the Natural Bliss from Coffeemate, so there are no chemicals in them. I will also go with flavored coffee itself with a sweet cream style creamer. I mix and match flavor combinations as well as pair the same i.e. hazelnut coffee with hazelnut creamer.

I do not use any other sugar than what is in the creamer.
  • vxCricketxv
    vxCricketxv Posts: 26 Member
    Black coffee, sprinkle of cinnamon if available.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    I drink all my coffee black, so can't really help. As somewhat of a coffee snob I nearly gag at dunkin/starbucks coffee. I bought a cup from starbucks yesterday and threw it out.

My go-to drink when visiting coffee places is an americano. If the beans are good the americano will be more than smooth enough to drink black. Otherwise I buy the lightest roast drip available (or pour over, but if they have pour overs, they probably have americanos).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I went through this for a good year- I had no idea what to order- I had the same reaction- decision paralysis since I had no idea what anything was.
    1.) I order black coffee still.
    2.) research ahead and pick something on your way. (I splurge still on carmel macchiatos when I am feeling saucy- but I just normally get black coffee)
  • kimie54
    kimie54 Posts: 24 Member
    I have refused to give up my flavored creamer. I have started buying the International Simply Pure or the Natural Bliss from Coffeemate, so there are no chemicals in them. I will also go with flavored coffee itself with a sweet cream style creamer. I mix and match flavor combinations as well as pair the same i.e. hazelnut coffee with hazelnut creamer.

I do not use any other sugar than what is in the creamer.

That's me too. I have to have a somewhat sweet and creamy coffee.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Just plain black coffee is the solution. Add sweetener/dairy if you must but that just adds unnecessary cals.
    Dairy does have nutritional content. Nonfat milk or soy milk add some protein without a lot of fat, and may help take the edge off hunger.