Really Hungry Today - See Anything Wrong With My Food?

Replies

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    And tea with 2 TSP of sugar in is incredibly sweet! You need to retrain your taste buds.
  • kimie54
    kimie54 Posts: 24 Member
    Hot tea makes me really hungry. I don't know why, but it does.
  • kimie54
    kimie54 Posts: 24 Member
    Also, whole milk will stick with you longer than the low fat.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    CMNVA wrote: »
    mazdauk wrote: »
    How about a banana with breakfast? A few nuts with one of your cups of tea might be helpful. I always find I'm starving the day after a big workout, so that might have something to do with it? Did you know you can make omelettes in a ziplock bag in the microwave? I saw this somewhere and its a great idea for a breakfast option, you could put the bag in your lunch box and microwave it at work.

Here's my problem: I'm pretty picky. Sorry, I know everyone is being helpful. I had to laugh at this because there's no way I'd eat or cook and omelette in a Ziploc bag. It sounds awful, not to mention, should you really be microwaving those things? I say this with the greatest sense of humor, believe me.

As for working out, I am only very lightly working out. I walked for 3 miles on Saturday and did another shorter walk on Sunday. That's eat. I don't think I can blame that.

Honestly, especially how I feel this morning, I think I'm going through sugar and glutton withdraw right now. I had just forgotten how bad that feels.

You can microwave Ziploc bags: https://ziploc.com/en/sustainability-and-safety

Scroll down and you can see the safety section of the page. They meet requirements. If you're curious about the specific bags you have, you can check out the product page and it will tell you specifically if it is microwave safe.

I buy Ziploc Steamable bags - they are my go-to for lunch at work - I throw in some protein and some veggies with marinade/compounded butter, cook for 6-7 min and voila
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    kimie54 wrote: »

Yeah same here, that's why I mentioned it, lol.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    mazdauk wrote: »
    And I suspect you didn't mean it to be funny but "...and glutton withdraw..." made me laugh. I certainly went through "glutton withdrawal" when I started losing weight! :)

No, I actually meant "glutton." I have been an absolute glutton for 2 months and I am withdrawing from that!
  • CMNVA
    I know you said you are picky but stay with me on this.

You like tea. I also like tea(not as often but still). have you considered switching the style of tea you are having to be less bitter? There are plenty of lemon teas and other types which might help you further reduce the sugar you are adding that you yourself say isnt even making it sweet anymore.

For me I grew up always having earl grey tea. Turns out after trying some other types/variations that i really dont like it as much as some other options. perhaps give some other teas a shot, see if you can find a less bitter one that you can enjoy without the sugar, then you can put those calories towards another type of snack to help with the hunger.

I have tried them all. Believe me, I have worked hard to find a hot beverage I can sip on through the day. I am just really hooked on my "English style" tea. Have been drinking it since I was a child. I've tried all different brands, styles, etc. I just don't like them. I especially do not like herbal teas or ones that have other flavorings (especially fruit) added.
  • CMNVA
    ouryve wrote: »
    And tea with 2 TSP of sugar in is incredibly sweet! You need to retrain your taste buds.

You know, I actually tried. It's not so much that I want sugar, it's that I really don't enjoy the tea without it. For instance, I find all soda to be too sweet so I don't drink it. Same with fruit juice. Two actual measured spoons of sugar in 20 oz of tea, I can assure you, is not incredibly sweet. 8 ounces, yes.
  • CMNVA

For me, it seems to cut my hunger. That's why I always have one when I get home from work. While I'm cooking I drink a cup and I totally stop munching.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah same here, that's why I mentioned it, lol.

Interesting ... I've noticed something hot with caffeine actually kills my appetite for hours. Bodies are weird.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Hi everyone, thanks for taking a look. I went to bed about 2 hours after I posted so I couldn't answer back.

Some of my limitations:

I don't do artificial sweeteners. I've tried them all and I do not enjoy the taste they give to my tea. I used to use Equal all the time and was okay with that, but after several years, I started to have bladder irritation problems. Took a bit to figure out it was the Equal (aspartame). Once I stopped it, I was better in about 3 days. So I stick with sugar but try to minimize what I put in my tea. I truly love lots of milk and sugar but I have definitely scaled back on it so that it's passable. I need my tea (caffeine) through the work day!

Breakfast: So I get up at 4:00am each day and am at my carpool by 5AM. I am not hungry mostly (well, today I am) nor do I have time to cook. I generally enjoy eggs so I try to eat them on the weekend; however, I do NOT enjoy eggs that aren't right out of the pan. For instance, cold hard boiled eggs kind of nauseate me. I have no options for making much to eat at work so cereal as become my mainstay. The shredded wheat or Barbara's Cinnamon Puffins will keep me fairly satisfied until lunch. I know it's low protein, but it's about all I can think about in the morning.

I think you all are probably correct in that I didn't eat much the previous days and it could be catching up to me. I felt okay those days so I tried to just go with it and not force myself to 1600 calories. But last night, I went to bed hungry. And here I sit at work with my stomach just GROWLING!!! I brought some almonds with me today and some different things to try so we shall see. I'm having Greek Tacos for dinner tonight so I need to save some calories for the tortillas that seem to be carb bombs!! But the meat should get my protein in the right place, it will just be later today.

I would die if I had to get up at 4am, and have nothing until lunch time other than a bit of cereal. :#

I get up at 8am. At work by 9. Somewhere between 9:45 and 10:30 I will eat one of the following:
    -greek yogurt with kashi crunch
    -eggbeaters with a slice of 2% cheese
    -oatfit oatmeal with skim milk
    -protein bar
    -a jimmy dean delights sandwich or a Special K flatbread sandwich

Any of those will last me until I eat lunch around 2pm. And lunch normally consists of chicken, in some fashion.
  • CMNVA

I would die if I had to get up at 4am, and have nothing until lunch time other than a bit of cereal. :#

I get up at 8am. At work by 9. Somewhere between 9:45 and 10:30 I will eat one of the following:
    -protein bar

Any of those will last me until I eat lunch around 2pm. And lunch normally consists of chicken, in some fashion.

So you don't think it's all about the calories? With my tea and cereal/milk, I'm probably getting the same calories as you on the meals you listed above. I ask because you say "...a bit of cereal." I think I'm reading that it's really the protein that makes a difference for you? I do know that a protein bar definitely doesn't work for me...but the others probably would. Whether they would work better, I'll have to try.

To clarify, I eat my breakfast around 7:30 or 8:00. That when I'm usually hungry. Lunch starts between 11AM and 11:30.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    maybe consider moving your yogurt from lunch to an earlier snack
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

-protein bar

So you don't think it's all about the calories? With my tea and cereal/milk, I'm probably getting the same calories as you on the meals you listed above. I ask because you say "...a bit of cereal." I think I'm reading that it's really the protein that makes a difference for you? I do know that a protein bar definitely doesn't work for me...but the others probably would. Whether they would work better, I'll have to try.

To clarify, I eat my breakfast around 7:30 or 8:00. That when I'm usually hungry. Lunch starts between 11AM and 11:30.

Losing weight is all about calories and it's true that eating too few calories will cause hunger.

But sometimes someone can have a reasonable calorie goal and still be really hungry because they aren't satiated by the foods they are choosing. For many people, sugar in tea and cereal aren't as filling as foods that are higher in protein. Due to the fact you're feeling hunger, you may be one of those people. Part of becoming successful at calorie counting is figuring out which foods help you feel fuller.

I can have a perfectly adequate (calorie-wise) lunch of a piece of cake and a soda, but I know from experience that I will feel hungry again really quickly. I can have the same amount of calories in something that fills me more (for me, that would be something like chili -- fiber mixed with protein) and feel great until dinner. Same calories for both, but my body handles them very differently.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    I'm British and can taste the slightest hint of sugar in builders tea! And trust me, I never drink measly 8oz cups with my little finger cocked!

I do concur with the observation that tea is a bit of an appetite stimulant. The tannin also inhibits iron absorption, so go easy on it, or else you'll end up as pasty as us lot :)
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    You basically had simple carbs (sugar) for breakfast. Switch this to 50%/50% protein/carbs or so and you'll notice a difference.

Try two eggs with an English muffin, black coffee. Totally ditch cereal...for good. That stuff'll kill you ;)

I'm kidding (and not) about the cereal, if you really switch to a higher protein breakfast with less simple carbs and more complex carbs and fiber you will absolutely solve your problem. Cereal is just really high in sugar (so's milk) so while it has it's place you just don't get much volume and/or nutrients from it when compared to less processed types of foods.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    I think every one above me is right, start your day with more protein and maybe accompany your tea snacks with a small 100 cal or less protein or fiber focused snack like apples, string cheese, jerky sticks, 100 cal of almonds, etc. and as for easy breakfast's, try microwaved eggs (you can buy things for that specifically), protein oatmeal by Quaker Oats, pre-made Greek yogurt parfait, etc.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

-protein bar

Different people are satiated by different things. In general protein, fat, and fiber in some combination are the things that can help people feel full. Also, many people don't find drinking calories keeps them full. For me, increasing my protein from @ 55g per day to above 90g per day, made it a lot easier for me to stick to my calorie goal. So 300 cals of cereal with a half cup of milk might keep me full for an hour, but 300 cals of 2 eggs cooked in a little butter with lots of veggies will keep me full for 3 hours. (I sometimes have cereal and milk for dessert when I'm craving something sweet) You have to play around with it to find what works for you.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member

-protein bar

I think protein has far more to do with satiety, than calories alone. At least for me it does.
  • tklivory
    tklivory Posts: 46 Member
    I would also recommend more protein at breakfast somehow. The two things that come to mind for me are greek yogurt and protein bars. Note that people recommend greek yogurt over non-greek yogurt because it has more protein.

If you can't abide those, then another thing I'd recommend is low fat cottage cheese with some nuts mixed in - that has a good mixture of fats and protein that might work. (I use sunflower seeds mostly.)

Also, have you tried flavored honey in your tea? Not really for calorie control, I just think that flavored honey helps give a bit of variety to my hot tea flavors (and I favor pu erh, so a bit of sweetness if quite nice).