Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What would cause you to lose fat and not weight?
    Recomp. It's actually doable, just need a lot of patience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

A menopausal women who cannot lose weight, will not successfully recomp.
    Untrue. I've trained many menopausal women with difficulty losing weight on their own, but with proper training it can happen. They may have to work MUCH HARDER than the average person, but it's not impossible to successfully do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It's the much harder part no one likes.

But only some women report finding weight loss harder during menopause (I didn't for one, and a couple of others have commented similarly on this thread).

My intention is not to discount your or others' lived experience, though: Menopause (or aging, in some other respect) may well be a factor. But, since it's not universally a problem for all women in menopause, it makes me think there must be some other relevant factor(s) as well, though I have no idea what.

I doubt there are many problems with weight loss that are universal, but it might be safe to say that often it's harder during menopause or perimenopause. Many of the reasons are lifestyle based. And sometimes knowledge based. We are old enough to realize that some of the motivations of the young (he'll love me if I lose weight, everyone will envy me if I lose weight, life will be wonderful if I lose weight, etc.) simply aren't true.

Some are physical. With age and especially sedentary aging sometimes come bad knees, arthritis, or other ailments that make activity more difficult. And while increased activity isn't required for weight loss, it sure makes it easier. Then there are the varying symptoms of menopause itself. Mood swings, water weight gain, hot flashes, night sweats, etc.

I lost over 30 lbs during menopause but I did find it harder. Water weight was my nemesis. It's so hard to know if you are on track and really losing fat when you routinely gain and lose several lbs of water weight each week. I also had crazy mood swings, which luckily were lessened by exercise so that was actually a huge motivation to stay active for me.

TLDR: the process (CI<CO) is still the same simple formula, but there may be more factors working against you during menopause than before. Or there may not be. People are different.

I agree with what you're saying. The (frequently seen) short form "I can't lose weight (or can only lose slowly) because menopause" is seriously unhelpful - it's not a problem-solving orientation. In its extreme formulation ("can't"), it's tantamount to an excuse. "Hard" at least leaves room for some thoughtful analysis, and potential routes to achieving one's goals. If it were purely menopause that's the problem, it would be universal.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    because if you cannot lose fat, you will not be able to recomp.

Um, menopause doesn't prevent fat loss...
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    because if you cannot lose fat, you will not be able to recomp.

Um, menopause doesn't prevent fat loss...

thanks for the insight
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited June 2017
    GailK1967 wrote: »
    Regarding WLS, I don't know if I'd call it cheating as much as I'd call it useless, expensive, and dangerous. You could simply adopt a post-WLS diet and come to the same result without all the vomiting and diarrhea. The only thing stopping you is your own discipline.

Vomiting and diarrhea? WTK? No one told me about that. How come I haven't had that yet? Dammit I'm missing out.

WLS has huge benefits for some people. No matter what YOU think, having a much much smaller stomach has given me the appetite control I've never had in my life. I have never felt full before but now I do after a small and healthy meal. So you are quite wrong.

Glad that it has all worked out for you. But I'm sure that you have done enough research on WLS to know that not everybody has the same experience. I know 2 people who have been nothing but ill after having WL surgery, one of them had to have additional surgery to have it reversed. The other one is still trying to find the right WOE that doesn't make her feel sick. Those are not my opinions but experiences of people who have gone through it. My opinion is that all of that could have been avoided if they had adopted the post-surgery diet instead of being surgically limited to enforce it. Neither option is easy.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    It's pretty unpopular here, but I think it's just fine and dandy to drink "meal replacement" shakes or whathaveyou. They're easy and convenient and calories are easy to calculate and pre-log it's NOT necessarily a sabotage for maintenance. I'm on maintenance now and I still have a shake for breakfast or lunch sometimes for all of the same reasons.

I agree. I don't even HAVE breakfast so I can't see why IF is okay but a meal replacement isn't. Seems illogical to me but I have yet to spare a kitten on the opinions of others when it comes to my methods lol
This discussion has been closed.