Skipping Dinner/snack for dinner

honeybee739
honeybee739 Posts: 66 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Anyone here eat most/all of your calories before Dinner?

I tend to be hungriest in the morning and mid day. If I eat most of my calories then I'm not hungry for dinner and lose weight easier.

My struggle is I feel like I "should" make and eat dinner with my husband but if I do that I end up overeating and going over calories.

Replies

• princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    no not really, a lot of calories go to dinner but i do give to other meals but some times i am so hungry that a end up giving some calories to lunch or a small snack.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    My most substantial meal is lunch since I workout after work. I very rarely eat an actual dinner. However, meals together are important but you can enjoy the company without ingesting the same amount of food as your partner.

I'd say sit down and eat dinner together but you don't have to eat the same things. That's my experience anyway. My husband and I rarely ever eat the same types of food.
  • sophie7591
    sophie7591 Posts: 78 Member
    I don't think when we eat has any relation to how easily we lose weight. Unless you just mean you tend to overdo it for dinner. The meal I can either skip or have something light is lunch. I love a satisfying dinner. Usually with my husband.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    I eat most of my calories before dinner and tend to have a night snack or a salad for dinner or something light like that.

Is it possible you could make one thing for your husband and maybe eat either a smaller portion with him or make yourself something quick that's fewer calories?
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    I rarely eat dinner at all. I'm a grazer so I enjoy the majority of my calories prior to even leaving work in the afternoon. I do leave enough calories for an after-work cocktail though. :D
  • kimie54
    kimie54 Posts: 24 Member
    My husband doesn't want dinner till 10:00 p.m., and I usually end up eating way before then. Sometimes I wait, but if I'm really hungry, it's better if I just go on and eat.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    I eat a low calorie dinner all the time. I have a habit of eating most of my calories before dinner so dinner ends up being something small. Nothing wrong with that if you're happy with it that way. Doesn't really matter where/when you get your calories in.
  • lgill1127
    lgill1127 Posts: 47 Member
    I eat a heartier breakfast and lunch as well - also am a snacker. Typically will have a small snack 1-2x per day and a light dinner. If my boyfriend doesn't want the same thing as me (typically nights I make myself a salad or a "snack-like" dinner) I'll either make something quick for him (last night - chicken quesadilla and side salad, for him) or he can order in lol. He gets home later than me so the afternoon snack when I get home, then a light dinner is a regular occurrence.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I'm the opposite, most of my calories happen dinner and beyond.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    My most substantial meal is usually breakfast. The earlier in the day I eat more calories, the less hungry I am in the evening.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Nope not me. I like having a big dinner. I like for it to be my biggest meal.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    I prefer lunch as my largest meal. I've been known to skip supper in favour of snacks later. As long as you meet your goals you can eat at whichever time suits you.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    I'm the opposite. Husband and I have demanding jobs so dinner is when we decompress and spend time together & so I'll save up my calories for it. I tend to do this by splitting my day meals so a bit of breakfast at 5am and the rest at 9am. A bit of lunch at 1pm and the rest at 6pm when I'm commuting.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Anything that works for you, and fits into your life well is the right answer.

Timing of calories & nutrition, for those of us who are not elite athletes or bodybuilders, is really not important, except insofar as it affects our satiation and general happiness.

For me, as an athletically-active retired person with a social life, what and when I eat varies daily around my hunger & schedule, and that's just fine.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Eat the way that makes you happy. Many countries typically make lunch the big meal, and keep dinner down to a light meal/snack.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    I am this way too! I'm ravenous mid-morning and mid-afternoon. When I just go with it, I feel so much better. It's like I'm listening to my body's natural cues. I save calories so that I can have a small portion of whatever dinner might be. After dinner I go brush, floss, and rinse with mouthwash. Helps me to go to bed at a decent time too.

I do find it really difficult, however, when what I'm making for dinner is something I really love to eat- I try to save calories in that case but I spend the afternoon feeling cranky and hungry.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Nope not me. I like having a big dinner. I like for it to be my biggest meal.

Same. I'm not hungry in the morning so I don't eat breakfast/lunch until around 11-12:00, then have a light mid-afternoon snack (usually post-workout) and then the majority of my calories for dinner (and an evening snack). I'm hungriest in the afternoon/evening hours and don't like going to bed hungry.