Please suggest side dishes for my salmon recipe

suzesvelte
suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
Hi - I am cooking dinner for a friend. My main recipe is very simple: I am baking salmon fillets with some lime juice and a sprinkle of chilli flakes -- low fat, tasty, pretty looking and EASY!

I plan to serve it with couscous to which I will add a FEW colorful veg - probably using red pepper and sweetcorn /peas / parsely / preserved lemon to make it really fresh and bright ..

If it was just me I'd call that a meal, but I sort of think I need something else alongside this to finish the plate. I think it will be bit acidic as it stands, and would like ideas for a side-dish to harmonise with these two.

Any inspiring ideas? Thanks

Replies

• Rognvaldr
    Rognvaldr Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2017
    I would steam cauliflower to go with this and call it done. You could steam broccoli if you wanted something green.

The fillet is the star and the couscous is the co-star of the meal. I think either of these would provide a balance to the meal.
    :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I think it sounds delicious as is... I'd go with quinoa over couscous, just because I don't particularly like couscous.

I like avocado with salmon - what about a sort of smashed avo with flavours? (like guacamole, but not necessarily the same?)
  • suzesvelte
    Thanks, Yes, green is probably best.

Funny you don't like couscous. I hate quinoa! :D
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    I like a wild rice blend with salmon, they just seem to go together. Broccolini or asparagus lightly steamed with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of dukkah is wonderful.
  • suzesvelte
    I like a wild rice blend with salmon, they just seem to go together. Broccolini or asparagus lightly steamed with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of dukkah is wonderful.

Actually, that is a good point. I don't usually have wild rice in the house, but I could get some.
  • cooksister2000
    cooksister2000 Posts: 1 Member
    How about a little roasted asparagus with toasted pine nuts
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    My favorite sides for salmon are rice and asparagus. Your couscous takes the place of the rice, so how about just adding in some roasted asparagus?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Lentils with wilted (lightly sauteed) spinach.
    Or raw sliced tomatoes, dressed with a little balsamic vinegar and fresh basil.
    Or roasted tomatoes and garlic (roast garlic whole and squeeze cloves out of skin), tossed with olive oil (and balsamic, if you like).
    Or just a nice side salad.
  • cherylellie938
    cherylellie938 Posts: 4 Member
    Maybe Sweet Potatoe..this is what I have with my salmon
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    My dinner for the last two nights was panfried salmon with a warm salad of quinoa, baby cucumber, roast baby beetroots and feta, with a dressing of orange juice/zest, olive oil, red wine vinegar and mustard. It didn't need anything else.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I make roasted beets and/or butternut squash or roasted brussel sprouts or even sauted bok choy as a side to salmon when I am doing Asian or chile seasoning on it. If I am doing a simple lemon and herb, then I like asparagus.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Another vote for roasted asparagus. After thought, my first thought is wild rice but I like the sweet potatoe idea.

Usually, I just have asparagus with salt, pepper, and garlic, no oil, as the side so I can have a big piece of salmon.
  • kerend123
    kerend123 Posts: 5 Member
    Roasted baby tomatoes on the vine, great colour and slightly sweet to balance the acidity :-)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Salmon and grilled asparagus go hand in hand with sweet potato pure.

I was gonna say if you're eating salmon, you gotta have asparagus.
  • ToxDocAR
    ToxDocAR Posts: 49 Member
    Simply salt and pepper the salmon, pan cook skin side down for most of the time, flip. Don't overcook. Should still have some glistening in middle. Remove from pan, add garlic. Then add baby spinach and dash of salt. Cook until wilted as you like.
  • ToxDocAR
    ToxDocAR Posts: 49 Member
    and add a grain if you so choose
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    green veggie of some kind. I've got tons of greens in the garden right now so it would be salad at my house. Asparagus or broccoli or green beans would be good
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Strawberries. Sweet and high-fiber to offset the other tart dishes. The couscous has veggies in it so you don't need to limit your thoughts to vegetables.
  • PhylinAZ
    PhylinAZ Posts: 15 Member
    Home made salsa is good with salmon.