Gluten Free?

Behxo
Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
It's interesting, I've been almost entirely gluten free for two weeks and my eczema is almost completely gone. I also suffer from alopecia universalis and asthma, both auto immune and seeing if those start to subside as well. I wasn't 100% perfect, I did have some gluten on the weekends and actually ended up paying dearly both times with my digestive system. Never thought I'd have any allergy to it but it looks like I do, gonna be hard to find cheats on the weekends for me now lol

Any friends that would be interested in adding me and sharing recipes?

Replies

• Behxo
    Oh wow, you sound like a pro!! lol, the only made to be gluten free items I have bought were spaghetti and flour. I'm def interested in your recipes, they sound amazing
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    I'm glad you are seeing improvements. You can add me if you'd like. I've been gluten free 8 years due to celiac disease. I eat mostly keto now so I'm not sure if any of my meals would interest you much but I do log daily!
  • Behxo
    Yes, thank you! :]
  • Chrisick
    Chrisick Posts: 14 Member
    You can add me as well, if you'd like. :) I haven't been gluten free as long as most (only two months now) but I've grown up in a mostly gluten free house (mum has celiac) so I know a few tasty meals sans the gluten.
  • smileydd23
    smileydd23 Posts: 4 Member
    You can add me as well, if you like. I have hashimotos, have to be GF. I did the Whole30 body reset and then decided to go plant-based. I got tired of eating all that meat! I feel plant based is best for my body. I'm dairy free as well, but I eat eggs. Good luck!
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    I'm gluten free too because of a mild wheat allergy. I'm hit or miss with my logging, but I'd be happy to add you as a friend.

I had gone to an allergist a few years ago who refused to test me for food allergies. Only environmental which I kinda already figured. Said "if you were allergic to a food you would definitely know it"

Bull. I ate wheat in almost every meal. When would my body have a break so that I could tell? I did Whole30, and when I finally reintroduced wheat I totally started to itch again.

And in the meantime my seasonal allergies and rhinitis had all but disappeared. They flare up on high grass pollen days, but sooooo much better.

Just haven't figured out if it's just wheat or if other gluten containing grains affect me the same way.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    I have celiac disease and I have to be careful that nothing even gets contaminated. I used to eat mostly paleo like, but after finding out my corn allergy is much worse than it is I'm avoiding a ton of food right now. I have some paleo and Keto recipes on my app. I'm not sure how to share them. Maybe just send you the recipe and take a screenshot of the macros...

I'm glad you're feeling better. I had no idea I had CD even though I knew I had a intolerance. Sometimes it can take a long time to figure these things out.
  • Behxo
    Wow, a lot of support here! Yes, thank you for adding me :]
  • Steph231982
    Steph231982 Posts: 1 Member
    I have a gluten/ wheat intolerance, not diagnosed but whenever I eat the above I look like I'm 6 months pregnant! So I'm getting better at leaving it all out. I tend to cook from scratch anyway and make my own sauces. Beware of the gluten free section too, alot of foods are labeled as gluten free (at a higher price) when they are gluten free anyway. Been researching recently about grains etc, that it is actually bad for your health, whether you have an allergy or not. The food industry is all about money sadly. Happy to add and support :-) xx
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    As someone with a couple of autoimmune diseases, you may want to get tested for celiac disease before going GF. Celiac often goes along with other AI diseases. And the symptoms can be very silent - anemia is the most common celiac symptom, for example.

You need to be eating daily gluten, about 1-3 slices of bread per day, in the 2-3 months prior to testing. Going GF means you would need to resume making yourselkf ill for a few months to get tested. Sometimes it is best to test first, then go GF.

If your tests are negative you probably do not have celiac disease, although the tests miss up to 1 in 4 celiacs, and you may have non-celiac gluten sensistivity (NCGS).

You want the tissue transglutaminase IgA and IgG, deaminated gliadin peptides IgA and IgG, endomysial antibodies IgA, and the total serum IgA.

Good luck. I hope you continue to feel better. :)
  • WeAreTheMassacre
    WeAreTheMassacre Posts: 49 Member
    I dunno if I'm entirely gluten free, but most of the ingredients I use lately are. It's helped my T zone a lot! I use to wake up with bright red, irritated red face. If I ate or talked my T zone would flake, dead skin all over my shirt. It's ruined my social life haha. A friend suggested I go gluten free and I think it's helped. I also wash my face with oatmeal and honey which helped immediately.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I dunno if I'm entirely gluten free, but most of the ingredients I use lately are. It's helped my T zone a lot! I use to wake up with bright red, irritated red face. If I ate or talked my T zone would flake, dead skin all over my shirt. It's ruined my social life haha. A friend suggested I go gluten free and I think it's helped. I also wash my face with oatmeal and honey which helped immediately.

Flaking skin is a strong sign of hypothyroidism... which is sometimes bothered further by gluten
  • barneychelle
    barneychelle Posts: 15 Member
    I too have celiac disease. I have been gf for 9 years. I feel like some sort of pro. Not much I can't cook or recommend or help you find. Feel free to msg me! I'd love to help!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    me too! not celiac, but intolerance. currently weeding out other food sensitivities & hoping the dietary changes will heal my body from health issues that have cropped up.
  • Behxo
    Zara11 wrote: »
    me too! not celiac, but intolerance. currently weeding out other food sensitivities & hoping the dietary changes will heal my body from health issues that have cropped up.
    Zara11 wrote: »

same deal with me, my asthma and eczema have healed up pretty nicely so far but it's crazy how many things gluten can be in! If I eat gluten, bathroom problems for 2 days and skin acts up