New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• evenduchess83
    evenduchess83 Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2017
    Hi everyone! I am Sheena and I am from Westville NY. I am a mother to an adorable little 2 year old girl named Sophia. She is my pride and joy. I downloaded my fitness pal and joined this group because I have the desire to lose weight. I have been successful before but something would happen to throw me off the bandwagon so to speak. I lost weight before my wedding...about 15 pounds. I lost about 10 pounds back in 2015 but then my daughter got sick. Of course i would gain it back. I have about 50 pounds to lose. Seems like a monumental task...but with support I am sure I can make this happen.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Hi @JanikaRall Great to have you here!
    Have you checked that you are actually eating the right amount with our calculator? http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    That's a great place to start.

Hi @evenduchess83 Welcome to the group!
    EM2WL is all about sustainable weight loss that doesn't bounce back on!
    Our free quick start guide is a great place to start http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/quick-start-guide/

Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • CAtfox4208
    CAtfox4208 Posts: 4 Member
    Hello all,

New here and just started my reset....it was shocking to look back at my eating journal to discover I was only consuming 800-1000 calories on a good day
  • empressichel
    CAtfox4208 wrote: »
    Hello all,

New here and just started my reset....it was shocking to look back at my eating journal to discover I was only consuming 800-1000 calories on a good day

Hey! Welcome to the group!
    Yup, it is shocking when we realise how little we've been eating BUT liberating g when we realise how much we are supposed to and can actually eat!
    Good luck with the reset. Keep us posted!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • huskerzfan_1977
    huskerzfan_1977 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello. My name is Howard. I am currently around 245 pounds. On February 2, 2011, I was at my highest ever weight of 394 pounds. I was eating a lot of fast food and processed foods. I felt like crap...achy, tired, and embarrassed. I made a decision to get serious about getting healthier. I started cooking for myself, and keeping leftovers to take to lunch at work. In July of 2013, I lost my job of 9+ years. Several months passed before I regained employment. This job offered a health and fitness program, which I jumped at immediately. I now have access to a certified personal trainer, and have become really close friends with her. She has said many times that as you get closer to your goal weight, the harder it is to lose those last pounds. I am trying hard to get to about 200 pounds so I can say that I am half the man I used to be (even though it won't be exactly half). I am do an hour of weight training with my trainer. I am also doing a couch to 5k run training program that includes a mix of walking and slow runs (mobile app that gives you cues). I have never done any type of distance running before, but it is a goal of mine to be able to run a 5k.
  • obrnc2006
    obrnc2006 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi I'm Jill,
    I'm currently 188lbs at 5'3", my "ideal" weight depending where you look is 125-135. I know it's not all about the numbers, but I've got some serious work to do too. I'd like to lose 50 lbs (2/week). I'm heading back to the gym this week to start the weights again, then I'll treadmill at home on days I can't make it. I'm planning to use macros strategies to help with meal planning.

Thoughts?
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    welcome aboard Howard!

welcome to the group Jill!
    You may find out quick start guise and starter kit a great place to begin with information on eating properly and with enough calories to fuel your body correctly. www.em2wl.com/start
    In the stickies above are some links to a lot more great information you may also find useful

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    obrnc2006 wrote: »
    Hi I'm Jill,
    I'm currently 188lbs at 5'3", my "ideal" weight depending where you look is 125-135. I know it's not all about the numbers, but I've got some serious work to do too. I'd like to lose 50 lbs (2/week). I'm heading back to the gym this week to start the weights again, then I'll treadmill at home on days I can't make it. I'm planning to use macros strategies to help with meal planning.

Thoughts?

I'll add as to why to check out the info referenced.

50 lbs left to healthy weight, is already low enough that 2 lbs weekly is really going to be unreasonable.

And it becomes even more unreasonable and downright extreme the closer you get - which actually means you would be very unlikely to get to goal weight.

Even a reasonable level of fat loss at 50 lbs to go, is unreasonable at 10 lbs to go - so the body will rebel and adapt and force it not to happen, and cause stress along with it.

But you purposely make it slower loss amount as you get closer - not nearly as stressful, and more prone to success.
    Especially in maintenance.

And the macros can be useful - but for maintenance and loss - calories is king.
    You can nail your macros on the head, and be overeating and gaining fat compared to what you burn.
    So ...... just saying.
  • obrnc2006
    obrnc2006 Posts: 6 Member
    "...And the macros can be useful - but for maintenance and loss - calories is king.
    You can nail your macros on the head, and be overeating and gaining fat compared to what you burn.
    So ...... just saying.[/quote]

Heybales, Thank you for that confirmation. I'm a nurse, but not a nutritionist by far. I've lost weight i the past by managing calorie intake against exercise, burn more than you take in, but always take in enough, was the key to my success then. Think I'm going to stick with what has worked in the past.

:)
  • guacamole2
    guacamole2 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello Everyone, My name is Wendy. Back in March I decided to stick to 1750 calories to see what happened, sure enough I LOST nearly 5 lbs. My energy levels were high and I felt absolutely amazing! However in April, my dad suffered a stroke and passed away after 18 days on life support. I was devastated, my goals were put on hold. May and June I was busy helping my mom try to sort out her house, selling her things so that she could move. So I have been really busy. In the process I lost weight, mostly due to just not having enough time to eat! I know all this is just excuses, but I'm here today and I'm ready to take charge of my health again. I want to do this to honor my dad, because I know he would want me to be healthy and happy.

My stats: I'm 4'10, 35 y/o, moderately active female, 173 lbs. I'm starting my calories out at between 1700-1900 calories per day. Yesterday was my first day. I'm here because I am done with the yoyo dieting and depriving myself. I know that this may be a long journey, but I know that I can and will get to my goal weight. I know that low calorie diets only last for so long and I'm done with those.
  • empressichel
    Hey Wendy!
    Welcome to the group. So sorry to hear what you have been going through, that's really tough.
    Having a goal can help is refocus our energy and hopefully you can get that here. You certainly will get plenty of help and support.
    Have you read through all the stickies posts at the top of this group? These are chock full of info and will answer most questions.
    Have you input your data into our calculator?
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    Any questions, just ask!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • TrueW
    TrueW Posts: 10 Member
    Hi Everyone,
    My name is TrueW and I am new to MFP and EM2WL! Today is my second day & I looking forward to being a Member! I truly need the help on EM2WL I have been on my new "LIFESTYLE" for 7 months I was on WW 4 months what a waste of time. In the beginning the leader would only tell me to eat more without explanation. I am looking forward to a new lifestyle & meeting my goals and new friends to help each other!
    Thank you TrueW
  • ChefBlueEyes
    ChefBlueEyes Posts: 26 Member
    Hello I am Benjamin
    The group name got my attention, as it was similar to a title of a Dean Ornish book.

I currently weigh about 251 lbs and am 189cm
    I am a chef and am around food all day, problem is its carbs and meats. My biggest problem snack is buttered toast.
    Currently MFP says I am not eating enough, I use protein powder almost every day, ......
    i walk every day, at least 3 km per day, last Wednesday I walked 24.9 km, then Friday felt the soreness.
    It is a process but I am finally seeing some results
    Lost 4.3 lbs this month
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Welcome to the group @TrueW ! Feel free to ask any questions you have. Read through our stickies on the top of the community page to get a feel for what we are all about and what to look for along the way:) Once you realize what "real life" should be, you won't want to go back to dieting again:)

Welcome to the group @ChefBlueEyes Feel free to look around our stickies on the top of the community page to see what we are all about. May I ask why you were walking 24.9km in a day? is this a normal thing for you to do?:)
    If MFP is telling you you arent eating enough, its probably true you are eating far below what you should be. Please use our calculator to give you an idea of what your intake should be
    www.eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/

Be honest with your activity level. As a chef you are likely on your feet all day long so you are not anything less than moderate.. likely higher

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • TrueW
    @Raynn1 Thank you for the welcome! I am reading the stickies & getting familiar with MFP! This is my "LIFESTYLE", I am happy to be aboard!
  • Truckerwife92207
    Truckerwife92207 Posts: 14 Member
    Hello everyone. My name is Tammy and I discovered EM2WL just 4 days ago. I am still trying to wrap my head around the concept (not chastise myself for eating) but have started to track my calories based on a "normal" week. I tend to be a binge eater on my days off from work and now I know why. My average caloric burn according to Fitbit is about 2273 (some days 2600+ and other days as low as 1900). This is my total burn for 1 month divided by 30 days. Would this be my TDEE?

The calculator is difficult to determine my activity level because I don't really workout, but my job as a cashier consists of standing on my feet for 8 hours and can rack up almost 3 miles in walking just at work, not counting the 3 dogs and housework. Some days I feel like I never sit down, then other days I rebel and never even get out of my pjs. I am 49yo (in 3 days), 5'3 and 210lbs.

Over the past 4 days I have learned it is not too difficult for me to eat 2300+ calories a day and haven't been restricting or tracking in 2 years. Honestly, 2300 calories is feeling like a deficit over the past 4 days because I ended up binging last night on ice cream and turtle pie totaling the day at almost 3k calories. I am confused why 2300 cals would not be enough if 2273 is my average daily burn.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated. I am tried of the starve/binge diet that has awarded me with an extra 50lbs over the past 2 years.

• heybales
    If you are doing workouts that the Fitbit will estimate calorie burn on - then yes that would be your TDEE - which means total daily calories burned.

You'll actually be underestimated a tad - because standing no steps gives you BMR level sleeping calorie burn - and obviously standing uses more calories than that.

Why do you think 2300 cals would not be enough if 2273 is average daily burn? (depending on correction of course, though it sounds like little is needed).

And yes - the charts discuss exercise only, and since you don't do much but are very daily active - they estimate poorly.
  • Truckerwife92207
    Truckerwife92207 Posts: 14 Member
    I believe 2300 is still too low because I ended up binge eating after 3 days of close to 2300 and many of the others talk like getting to their TDEE is difficult to fit in that much food in the beginning.
  • TrueW
    @Truckerwife92207 I don't know what my calorie intake is? The 2300 came from age, height & etc on MFP! I am still trying to figure out the formula in EM2WL?
  • heybales
    Oh - you hit right ratio of carbs to protein (too much usually) - and you'll find you can get low blood sugar and feel very hungry, enough to pig out.
    Even though the body requires NO extra calories.

That is a problem at maintenance too.

Despite the mantra "listen to your body" (which frankly causes many to be here losing weight) - it's a foreign language, and unless you know it, you can't listen and understand with meaning.