Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I checked out ready meal prices yesterday at the supermarket. There were a couple on sale for this week at $4, but regular prices are between $5 and $7 a box. Maybe not too bad if you're only buying for one person, but feeding a whole family regularly with ready meals would get quite expensive here, more expensive than fresh food..
  • Christine_72
    edited June 2017
    I checked out ready meal prices yesterday at the supermarket. There were a couple on sale for this week at $4, but regular prices are between $5 and $7 a box. Maybe not too bad if you're only buying for one person, but feeding a whole family regularly with ready meals would get quite expensive here, more expensive than fresh food..

You can get a giant tray pasta bake/cottage pie/hot pot here (UK) £5 from several supermarkets. I know this because my eyes about popped out of my head when I saw it and then realised it was for a family/4 people, ha!

And like I posted earlier, the ingredients are no different than if I made it myself.

You really need to stop judging other people's food choices just because they don't align with yours/what you think is acceptable.

Did you not see my mea culpa to winogelato a couple pages back?

I have plenty of time and no small kids, I honestly didn't think of the people who literally have no time or energy to cook every night, which was wrong and ignorant of me. And i did take a look at the ingredients of a couple of the packet meals, and other than high sodium there was nothing scary/unhealthy in them.

Healthy choice spinach and ricotta ravioli

Sauce (tomatoes (tomatoes, tomato juice), onions, water, tomato paste, white wine, sugar, salt, spice, herbs, canola oil, thickener (1422), basil, garlic), cooked ravioli (43%) ((wheat flour, ricotta cheese (7%) (cheese whey, milk, salt), breadcrumbs (wheat flour, water, yeast, sugar, salt), egg pulp, nutmeg, gluten, salt, pepper, spinach (0.5%), water)), breadcrumbs (wheat flour, gluten, natural colours (turmeric, paprika), parsley).
    Vegetables (40%)***
    Contains gluten containing cereals, egg and milk.
    Made in a facility that also processes products with crustacea, fish, tree nuts, sesame, peanuts, soy and sulphites.
    ***2 serves of vegetables per meal based on the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating (1 serve of vegetables equals 75g or ½ cup of cooked vegetables).]

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

But it's a person's choice to spend that money, no? To a lot of people who don't have the luxury of time that you and I have, not having kids to run around after, it may well be worth it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

You can get a giant tray pasta bake/cottage pie/hot pot here (UK) £5 from several supermarkets. I know this because my eyes about popped out of my head when I saw it and then realised it was for a family/4 people, ha!

And like I posted earlier, the ingredients are no different than if I made it myself.

You really need to stop judging other people's food choices just because they don't align with yours/what you think is acceptable.

I have plenty of time and no small kids, I honestly didn't think of the people who literally have no time or energy to cook every night, which was wrong and ignorant of me. And i did take a look at the ingredients of a couple of the packet meals, and other than high sodium there was nothing scary/unhealthy in them.

Sauce (tomatoes (tomatoes, tomato juice), onions, water, tomato paste, white wine, sugar, salt, spice, herbs, canola oil, thickener (1422), basil, garlic), cooked ravioli (43%) ((wheat flour, ricotta cheese (7%) (cheese whey, milk, salt), breadcrumbs (wheat flour, water, yeast, sugar, salt), egg pulp, nutmeg, gluten, salt, pepper, spinach (0.5%), water)), breadcrumbs (wheat flour, gluten, natural colours (turmeric, paprika), parsley).
    Vegetables (40%)***
    Made in a facility that also processes products with crustacea, fish, tree nuts, sesame, peanuts, soy and sulphites.
    ***2 serves of vegetables per meal based on the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating (1 serve of vegetables equals 75g or ½ cup of cooked vegetables).]

So maybe I missed something but what was the post I replied to about then? Bringing up cost of ready meals when that wasn't anybody's reason for using them, including mine. I have a lot of time on the face of it, my brain just makes it downright dangerous for me to cook sometimes. Other people have little time and so they're a quick way to ensure everyone gets a decent meal.

No "...." required.
  • Christine_72
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

But it's a person's choice to spend that money, no? To a lot of people who don't have the luxury of time that you and I have, not having kids to run around after, it may well be worth it.

Of course it's their choice. personally, i couldn't afford to make them the majority of my meals. But i know they're a lot cheaper in America than here.
  • jacmarsh
    jacmarsh Posts: 8 Member
    There is no such thing as cheating when it comes to weight loss unless you're a member of the biggest loser. We're not in competition.
    Fake sugars are definitely not healthy, though probably not worse than being 30 lbs overweight from drinking too much soda.
    I join competitions for fun, but I go to the gym to train or burn calories. Fitness is a side-effect.
  • Christine_72

Vegetables (40%)***

So maybe I missed something but what was the post I replied to about then? Bringing up cost of ready meals when that wasn't anybody's reason for using them, including mine. I have a lot of time on the face of it, my brain just makes it downright dangerous for me to cook sometimes. Other people have little time and so they're a quick way to ensure everyone gets a decent meal.

No "...." required.

I wrote that post after reading someone bought 5 ready meals for $10. Those prices would be unheard of here.
  • VintageFeline

Vegetables (40%)***

No "...." required.

I wrote that post after reading someone bought 5 ready meals for $10. Those prices would be unheard of here.

Gotcha. Where is here out of curiosity? I'm just nosy, I like knowing where there's huge disparities in cost of basics.
  • VintageFeline
    Oooh, thought of another one after a brief discussion on FB.

I really really really dislike diet clubs (WW, Slimming World etc). I think they can potentially set unrealistic expectations and expedite some people giving up because they get disappointed if there's no loss on the scale or have a "bad week" and don't want to be weighed. They also set up language around food that moralises like calling things "syns" and others "free" or whatever.
  • Christine_72
    edited June 2017

Vegetables (40%)***

No "...." required.

Gotcha. Where is here out of curiosity? I'm just nosy, I like knowing where there's huge disparities in cost of basics.

Australia. The food prices here are ridiculous. It's only my husband and I at home, and food is our biggest outgoing expense by far.

ETA: Just one example that gripes me is when people complain about paying over $4 for a tub of Halotop, when i pay $12 a pint here :rage: Last time i checked, a medium (USA small size) big mac meal deal thingo was around $9-10, not even take away is cheap here! 2 movie tickets will set you back around $36.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

Vegetables (40%)***

No "...." required.

Australia. The food prices here are ridiculous. It's only my husband and I at home, and food is our biggest outgoing expense by far.

ETA: Just one example that gripes me is when people complain about paying over $4 for a tub of Halotop, when i pay $12 a pint here :rage: Last time i checked, a medium (USA small size) big mac meal deal thingo was around $9-10, not even take away is cheap here! 2 movie tickets will set you back around $36.

Even worse in NZ (though I still laugh about the time you posted how much you were paying for Aus watermelon, and I was paying less here for what was presumably also Aus watermelon, given the time of year!). 'Cept movie tickets. A lot of our theatres have dropped back to $10 tickets because people just weren't going. And I don't think we can get Halo Top.
  • 007dualitygirl
    007dualitygirl Posts: 3 Member
    Blaming your metabolism is such a cop-out.

Nothing drives me crazier than someone telling me they can't lose ANY weight because their metabolism is too slow. It's simple, CICO. Yes there are cellular differences in how your body metabolizes things, but at the end of the day, if you burn 2000 calories and only put in 1500, you're going to lose weight. Your metabolism is not some magical thing that defies the laws of thermodynamics.

Not true. Hypothyroid causes me much grief. If I eat too little, all metabolic hell breaks lose and I gain weight. There is a balance that is required. Many times people are eating TOO FEW calories and their body is on lockdown.

A calculator can say "you burned 1500 calories today" and you can eat 1000 calories, but if in reality, you only burned 1000 calories that day because you have metabolic syndrome or hypothyroidism, you will not see results at all.

Point being that you have to take responsibility for increasing your metabolism along with keeping your caloric intake at bay.

That being said, if there are no real metabolic issues -- then I totally agree.

For metabolic issues, FIX the metabolism problem ... people say they have a slow metabolism while drinking alcohol everyday, never lifting weights to increase muscle mass, never doing HiiT cardio ... never working on their stress levels ... etc -- well that is irresponsible.

I'm going to go have my wine now and stop complaining about how I can't lose 20 pounds :wink:
  • Christine_72

Vegetables (40%)***

No "...." required.

Even worse in NZ (though I still laugh about the time you posted how much you were paying for Aus watermelon, and I was paying less here for what was presumably also Aus watermelon, given the time of year!). 'Cept movie tickets. A lot of our theatres have dropped back to $10 tickets because people just weren't going. And I don't think we can get Halo Top.

Oh yes, my gold plated quarter watermelon, and a crappy junior size rockmelon for $20!
  • VintageFeline
    edited June 2017

Vegetables (40%)***

No "...." required.

Oh yes, my gold plated quarter watermelon, and a crappy junior size rockmelon for $20!

Eegads. I've lived in NZ, it has definitely gotten worse! There seems to be a spectrum here but you can get basics pretty cheaply like root veg, bananas, parsnips etc. Largely I expect because they're home grown. But that's what makes cherries so expensive, short season. And strawberries though in peak summer when there's a glut they tend to come down a bit.

But gawd bless Lidl. When I'm super broke I know I can still feed myself for a week on very little money there.

No Halo top but I'd imagine it would be ridiculous, anything "specialty" or even new fangled flavour of the month food targeted at fitness types is a joke. At least if bought in the supermarket.

But yeah, our ready meals from the fridge are very reasonable. In fact, I think you can get 3 for £10 somewhere like M&S, so that's for the upmarket stuff! Regular supermarket potentially much less depending on what "tier". Frozen meals rock bottom. £1 a go for the very cheapest. The quality of convenience foods here is very high.

Edited to add, I realise what I quoted was Aus, that's also absolutely insane. Not sure how much watermelon is here, never buy it.
  • VintageFeline
    I looked up watermelons on a supermarket site. I don't think you want to know.........

£3.50 for a giant one
  • Christine_72
    I looked up watermelons on a supermarket site. I don't think you want to know.........

£3.50 for a giant one

You suck! :tongue:
This discussion has been closed.