Foods with shocking high cals

Replies

• jordygir1971
    jordygir1971 Posts: 4 Member
    My favorite chips....Tostitos Hint of Lime. 150 calories for 6 chips. Granted they're big, but not that big. Super disappointing.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Everything on the menu at Chili's. A black bean patty subbed into one of the burgers (I'm a vegetarian) with a side of broccoli isn't too bad. But cheese enchiladas are like 1440. Even on days I eat 2700 calories (about once a week) I can't fit in those kinds of numbers.
  • Holly2233
    Holly2233 Posts: 16 Member
    Corn on the cob
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    pdmccone wrote: »
    If you want a excellent tortilla that is low calorie, carb and high fiber I would recommend Ole Xtreme Wellness Tortilla. They are I think 10 inch and 50 calories, 11 dietary fiber, soft and taste excellent.

Sigh.

Not in Canada from what I see.

Tortilla's I'm having are 180 cals and I'd love to try a lower cal version that tastes good.

Amazon has them. Can you use Amazon?
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    pdmccone wrote: »
    If you want a excellent tortilla that is low calorie, carb and high fiber I would recommend Ole Xtreme Wellness Tortilla. They are I think 10 inch and 50 calories, 11 dietary fiber, soft and taste excellent.

Sigh.

Not in Canada from what I see.

Tortilla's I'm having are 180 cals and I'd love to try a lower cal version that tastes good.

Amazon has them. Can you use Amazon?

we have to use Amazon.ca which has significantly less products and massively inflated prices, the normal amazon website will usually flag and not allow delivery/completion of the order now. A few years ago we could use amazon no problem. Sadly.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited June 2017
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Uno's individual size pizzas.

<gasp> First time I looked one up I became an evangelist for mandatory calorie counts on menus.

I really believe that people have no idea how much they're eating...

I believe that because it was very true for me for YEARS of my life. Now I am just blown away by what I thought was okay for me to eat. I could easily eat a half pound of pasta with rich, creamy alfredo sauce and chicken- my entire days worth of calories as one PART of one MEAL I used to eat.

However, I am enjoying the new foods and seasonings that I have been exposed to as I try new, healthier recipes. I did have alfredo not too long ago- and I ate only part of it and saved the rest for later :smiley:
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    I'm pretty jaded now--back when I started, I was shocked and scandalized by all the foods, on a regular basis. From grapes and carrots, to heavy cream, all the way to your typical restaurant calorie nuclear bombs.

Recently, I was scandalized by the calorie counts in smoked whitefish dip--I looked it up after I ate an obnoxiously large quantity of it (on Club crackers--also scandalous!)
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Oh and Prime Rib which I'm cooking on the smoker this weekend. absolute killer.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    My mother in law makes tortillas from scratch. Every. Single. Day. Apparently, in my husband's family, everything is a taco.

I blame my weight gain entirely on her tortillas, because they're delicious and I was eating them with every meal - I mean, she's serving them, so sure, I'll eat one or two. When I joined MFP, I entered the ingredients into the recipe builder - and then I just flat-out quit eating them. Because they're almost 200 calories each.

I see that a lot here in South Texas. Tortillas are eaten with just about every meal in many families.

Tortillas were a sad realization for me. I love a good flour tortilla, but I can't justify spending 140+ calories on one. I switched to corn tortillas, which I've actually come to like quite a bit.

It's pretty rare that a food's calorie count "shocks" me. I do, however, look at portion sizes and get a little sad sometimes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    bandbmc wrote: »
    One banana. 100 calories. When my daily allowance is 1200, that is painful...

I have bananas everyday in my smoothies but no longer have whole bananas - I use either a half or a third depending on how big it is. I store the unused banana cut side down on a small lid.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Uno's individual size pizzas.

<gasp> First time I looked one up I became an evangelist for mandatory calorie counts on menus.

I really believe that people have no idea how much they're eating...

Ya, I can easily eat a half order of Uno's pizza skins (2100/2) followed by half of a Numero Uno regular pizza (3630/2) for a whopping 2865 calories and want to eat again 5 ish hours later.

https://www.unos.com/nutrition.php/menus/menus/&lt;br /&gt;&lt;b&gt;Notice&lt;/b&gt;: Undefined variable: privacyLink in &lt;b&gt;\\FILER\MASS$\windows\domains\unosweb\footer.php&lt;/b&gt; on line &lt;b&gt;24&lt;/b&gt;&lt;br /pdf/nutrition_uno.pdf
  • LibraryN3rd
    LibraryN3rd Posts: 4 Member
    lauracups wrote: »
    Bbq and pasta sauce. Also the sodium count is ridiculous.

Making your own pasta sauce takes a bit of time, but less than you'd think; there are GREAT low cooker recipes out there which are good for busy people :) Making your own cuts down dramatically on salt and sugar, plus allows you to sneak in some extra veggies that you might not like to eat on their own.