How fat is too fat to ride a rollercoster?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    No clue but my parents always rode with us and I assume they were always near 250
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    It's going to depend on the ride. I'm not particularly large-chested, but I barely fit into Kraken at Sea World. It was very uncomfortable. I head Manta was even smaller, so didn't even attempt it. I was around 235 when I tried to ride. I've fit into all the rides at Disney though even at 243 or so with really not even any concern about fitting.

• SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    edited June 2017
    weight doesn't matter, it's how you carry your weight. apple shaped people are more likely to have an easier time getting on rides, than pear shaped. iv'e seen it happen on el toro at six flags. that ride is unforgiving to people with big legs
  • SadDolt
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    Really depends where that weight is. Around the waist/boobs might incur a seatbelt problem.

Regardless if you have a heart problem you won't be allowed on any rollercoaster.

not true. you can easily tuck the seat belt under your stomach
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    From the six flags disability page (which is pretty universal):

jwjz7u3zqgf7.png

So you won't be allowed on any ride that has the heart symbol-which is usually almost all roller coasters.

There are tons of "heart conditions" and they don't all matter with respect to riding a roller coaster.

I have a heart arrhythmia and a aortic valve murmur. The arrhythmia goes away with exercise and the murmur is practically unnoticeable. I can certainly do anything I want to do. Likewise, if the condition was treated and is no longer a problem - fine.

One-size does not fit all.
  • Stefie_G
    Stefie_G Posts: 69 Member
    It's going to depend on the ride. I'm not particularly large-chested, but I barely fit into Kraken at Sea World. It was very uncomfortable. I head Manta was even smaller, so didn't even attempt it. I was around 235 when I tried to ride. I've fit into all the rides at Disney though even at 243 or so with really not even any concern about fitting.

It's funny you mention Kraken, because that's the coaster that inspired me to lose weight. I was 5'7" and 222 when I first rode it and felt squished. I rode it again at 148 and I still felt squished - go figure! Ha ha. Glad it got me to lose weight though. I felt comfortable at all weights on Manta, so you should give it a shot if you have the chance again :).
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    If they have to crush you into it then that's the size. Remember some really big guy *kitten* and complained until they finally used everything they could and get him locked it. When the brakes hit at the end he broke through the lock, broke the girls neck in front of him and fell 30 feet to the ground.

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I would think as long as you can be safely secured in the ride, you can go.
  • christinahanson89
    christinahanson89 Posts: 7 Member
    SadDolt wrote: »
    Really depends where that weight is. Around the waist/boobs might incur a seatbelt problem.

Regardless if you have a heart problem you won't be allowed on any rollercoaster.

But then you would feel like you're falling out. I nearly had a heart attack when I rode the joker
  • jessiswallow
    jessiswallow Posts: 2 Member
    I wouldn't go by weight, but I recently went to both Kings Island and Cedar Point and could ride most Roller coasters, some were tight though. I am currently a size 18/20, I hold quite a bit of that in my belly :(
    I noticed most of my difficulty came from the pull down restraints as I have a bra size of 40DDD.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    LadyLilion wrote: »

jwjz7u3zqgf7.png

So you won't be allowed on any ride that has the heart symbol-which is usually almost all roller coasters.

There are tons of "heart conditions" and they don't all matter with respect to riding a roller coaster.

I have a heart arrhythmia and a aortic valve murmur. The arrhythmia goes away with exercise and the murmur is practically unnoticeable. I can certainly do anything I want to do. Likewise, if the condition was treated and is no longer a problem - fine.

this is true, but sounds like OP's heart condition must be pretty significant if it somehow caused her to gain huge amounts of weight??
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    LadyLilion wrote: »

jwjz7u3zqgf7.png

this is true, but sounds like OP's heart condition must be pretty significant if it somehow caused her to gain huge amounts of weight??

I had preeclampsia while pregnant and gained 88 lbs during my heart condition episode. It was all water weight and was gone shortly after the pregnancy was over. Lost all 88 lbs in 2 weeks. I had pitting edema though and there were concerns that I was in heart failure. Weight gain as a direct result of heart disease is usually because of edema. However, finding out you have a serious heart condition that is going to shorten your life can make you want to snack on comfort foods a bit. The cardiologist who was seeing me was already asking me some of the questions they ask you before you can go on the transplant list. My regular doctor though, didn't even notice the edema and kept telling me I needed to eat less. I finally pointed out that if I pushed my thumb into my calf I kept a deep indent for minutes after. That's when I got the cardiologist referral who found that I even had fluid collecting in my lungs. My regular doctor just told me I had a cold.

Yeah, you can gain a lot of weight with a heart condition. However, that's usually edema and your doctor should be helping you manage it with prescription diuretics. But, we don't all get a good doctor. I've had 1 or 2 good doctors my whole life.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Some of the ride restrictions, such as a height requirement or a need to fit into a harness, are enforced by the park personnel. There is an objective standard which makes the ride dangerous for anyone who doesn't meet the requirements.

Ride restrictions for a heart condition, or a back condition, are merely warnings. No one is going to ask you if you have a heart condition before you board the ride. Essentially such "restrictions" are a way of the park telling patrons "If you have a heart condition, and you have a heart attack while on this ride, it's your own fault, and you can't say we didn't warn you."
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Ask your doctor about the heart condition. My sister has one and her doctor is fine with her riding roller coasters. The signs are a CYA for the park and different conditions will react differently.

As for the rides, if you can fit, you can ride. Most coasters will have a test seat outside of the line. You can try the seat out to make sure you fit before you wait in line for an hour just to get kicked off.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    edited June 2017
    I also have a heart defect (mitral valve prolapse, which cause my valve to go both ways), and am curious as to why yours caused you to gain a massive amount of weight. Working in skilled rehab and other medical facilities, the only people I found with heart issues who gained a lot of weight were those in very serious congestive heart failure... and their weight gain was a very pronounced middle (round like a beach ball) that was literally all fluid. Also significant fluid in hands and feet. So if you are in congestive heart failure that severe, you should not be going on rides. A ) because of heart's ability to withstand it and B ) because the locking mechanisms would not be able to fit around your middle without pushing on the liquid and organs.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt wrote: »

But then you would feel like you're falling out. I nearly had a heart attack when I rode the joker

i did it for top thrill dragster /// MF at cedar point. didn't make a difference o.o
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    edited June 2017
    At my highest I barely fit! 283 at 5'10" it depends on the ride also.
    Eta if you are asking for you, you'll be fine. If you are asking for someone else height is also a factor. I've seen tall skinny guys not fit
  • weightloss_acc
    weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
    I wouldn't go by weight, but I recently went to both Kings Island and Cedar Point and could ride most Roller coasters, some were tight though. I am currently a size 18/20, I hold quite a bit of that in my belly :(
    I noticed most of my difficulty came from the pull down restraints as I have a bra size of 40DDD.

Was this in ohio?
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member

Was this in ohio?

Yes Cedar point near Sandusky Ohio and Kings Island near Mason Ohio.

That said I at a size 22 couldn't fit in most of the rides not so much because of my size but combined with my height ( 6'1) and like jessiswallow my chest (40HH).