Workout once or twice a day?

Now that I am a member of Anytime Fitness, you think I should workout Once or Twice a day, since I can go workout...anytime? Let me know.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    that's up to you.

I do 2 workouts a day back to back usually.

I lift weights and i do some form of cardio.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    It's really up to you though be careful not to overwork yourself. You might end up with two lackluster workouts per day instead of one really good one.

I focus on one good morning workout per day. If I happen to want to get in another one later then it's gravy. I definitely don't make doubles a firm part of my routine...the surest way to guarantee burn out is to make exercise a chore.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    More isn't always better
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Depends on how long you're there.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    If I try to do cardio and weights in the same session they both suffer. I like to do cardio everyday at lunch, and weights a few nights a week.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    The answer to your question starts with another question - why?

No-one but you knows your goals, capabilities and schedule.....
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Depends what you're used to doing and how long you workout for and how fit you are. Tuesday I did PT and Zumba in the morning then Insanity and Boxercise in the evening, but it's something I'm used to and something I've worked up to and then I did sweet f.a. yesterday to rest.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    that's up to you.

By that measure, I do dozens of workouts per day back-to-back, because I count each set as its own workout.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    IF your schedule allows for 2x45 minute workouts Plus changing/shower/hygiene, Go for it.

Most people find that back to back(cardio/weight(strength)) or alternating days fits better with their schedule.

The other question Is Why??
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I will break my workout in half - morning and evening - if I have a time crunch. No time crunch = one longer workout.

It's up to you and what fits your schedule.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    that's up to you.

By that measure, I do dozens of workouts per day back-to-back, because I count each set as its own workout.

have at then.

But cardio and weights are totally different sets of exercises...

and at this point @xmichaelyx I do hope that you were joking...going to assume that you were and not be totally pedantic.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    I do mine first thing in the morning, 2 hours back to back and throw in another hour doing something random on days where my classes are less difficult. But whether day or evening, i never split them up because once I've showered and changed into fresh clothes, there is NO WAY I'm getting sweaty again.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    I typically do two. Back to back cardio classes T, TH early morning, plus a long walk in the evening. MWF Cardio early morning, weights in evening.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. More isn't always better.
  • blackcars7411
    blackcars7411 Posts: 41 Member
    Once
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    tjones0411 wrote: »
    I typically do two. Back to back cardio classes T, TH early morning, plus a long walk in the evening. MWF Cardio early morning, weights in evening.

Not a big deal if you enjoy cardio, but that's a ton of cardio work. Are you doing HIIT sessions or steady state? If you don't feel like you're going to die after a cardio session already, you might actually get better results from doing fewer sessions but pushing harder in the ones that you do keep.

OTOH, some people are just hardcore. More power to you.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    I work out doing something once a day for 6 days a week. I have a gym membership that's open at all hours, but I feel I get my money's worth just by being consistent. For me, working out twice a day would not be productive and I hate taking two showers a day!
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Working out 2x's a day doesn't increase fitness or give you faster results, and can EASILY lead to over training, which results in injuries, and injuries = no working out.

That being said, if you have time and it depends on what your goals are. For me, it would be ideal to lift weights at one time of day and run at another after I've recovered. However, the thought of dressing for two workouts, taking off sweaty workout clothes 2x's a day, and doing 2x's more laundry sounds miserable. I lift 3x's a week and immediately do a moderate 5k on the dreadmill. 3-4x's a week I run outside for long runs, and 1 short recovery run/active rest.

Figure out what you'll adhere to the longest, IMO it would get old going to the gym 2x's a day. But like I said, what are your goals?
  • despondentdelerium
    despondentdelerium Posts: 6 Member
    It really depends on you.
    You can really burn yourself out. Some people do one block, I know others who split cardio in the morning, weights at night. (I wouldn't do two of the same type of workout. That's a recipe for injury and burn out.)

Personally, I do my main workout regardless, and see how I feel.
    If, at the end of the day, my body feels good, If I've got the energy to burn, I'll go again.

I also take a class here or there. (Yoga, Kickboxing, Swimming, whatever the Ymca is offering) So a few times a week I do end up going twice. I can say Yoga really warms me up for my workout later in the day, 60 minutes of intensive stretching, I feel wonderful for the day, and it does feel like my workout later that night runs a lot smoother.

I'd say look at your options for your types of workouts you are/want to do, and split them if it's comfortable for you. Try each way for a week, and see what your body tells you.