Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Which shows AGAIN that it's not the big binges - Thanksgiving, Superbowl, etc. that are driving obesity. It's the day to day 250 kcal surplus that sneaks up over time.

Also shows that the best overall solution is not a dramatic reduction of CI, but a moderate (250 kcals/day) deficit.

There, FTFY! ;)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    these last 4 posts seriously need to be made a separate thread and sticky!
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Sooooouch misinformation.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    @WinoGelato I will admit that my first thought when i see diaries over run with packet/convenience/take away meals is they are either lazy and/or cant cook :blushing:

Awesome. Let me tell you about my typical weekday. Wake at 5:30 am. Spend about 30 minutes with morning routine. 6-6:15 am I check emails that came in overnight from Europe and Asia for work and answer any which are critical. Work out from 6;15 -7:15 am. 7:15-7:30 get my kids (6 and 8 year old boys) up and get them ready for the day (breakfast, make sure they got dressed, brushed teeth, etc, pack lunches for them). 7:30-8am I get ready for work. 8-8:30 I gather everything up for myself (computer, breakfast, lunch) and the kids (backpacks, water bottles, lunches, and the stuff they need for evening activities as well), drive to drop them off at school and then get myself to work by 8:30 or 8:45. I heat my breakfast up (if hot breakfast like a breakfast sandwich or bowl) or eat the yogurt, granola, and fruit I brought from home while I am getting situated in the office. I am in meetings most of the day, and when I do break for lunch, I either have leftovers from a meal that I cooked myself the night before, or I have a frozen meal that I can heat up. I eat at my desk and go for a 30 minute walk at lunch. I work till 5:30 and leave to get my kids by 5:45 or 6pm, then take them to soccer or baseball practice, tutoring, scouts. Sometimes multiple activities in the same night. The whole time I am trying to walk, as well as check more emails on my phone, sometimes calls with Asia while I am at the ball field. We usually get home from the activities by 7:30, at which point I help them with homework (15-30 min) and then have to figure out dinner. Yes, I like to cook and am not bad at it - but on nights like this often hamburger helper with a salad, or a skillet meal, or grilled cheese and tomato soup wins. I get that together while the kids are in the bath, we try to eat around 8pm, and then I spend about an hour putting them to bed and reading to them. By the time I get them in bed it is after 9pm and I have to clean up the kitchen, lay out clothes for the next day, - sometimes if I do want to cook myself a nice meal I do it after they have gone to bed and I eat around 9:30 pm. I spend about an hour just vegging out, watching TV, before getting ready for bed around 10:30, reading for a half hour or so, and finally go to sleep around 11 pm so I can get up and do it all over again.

I can see how that makes me sound lazy.

But thank you for making the point about why my opinion that these foods are a helpful addition to my life is unpopular.

BRA-*kitten*-VO.

Perhaps before assuming someone is lazy, you may consider they may have less time on their hands than you perhaps do.

I don't tend to think people lazy for choosing convenience foods except for cases where I know it's true. But I do think they are often using lack of time as an excuse to eat convenience foods instead of something that might be a little healthier. It doesn't take any longer to bake frozen fish and precut broccoli in the oven than it does a frozen pizza. It doesn't take any longer to make an omelet or stir fry using precut vegetables than it does to make Hamburger Helper.

I'm not suggesting anyone shouldn't eat whatever they want, just saying I rarely buy the "I don't have time" excuse.

How about those of us with chronic illnesses that physically or cognitively impair ones ability to cook. Even sometimes things you can throw in the oven. I forget and burn things. Not yet burned my flat down but that's because I know when not to cook.

I don't use frozen meals but here in the UK we have massive choice of fresh meals from the fridge. My nutrition and macros are fine.

Here's the ingredients of a few of those awful convenience foods.

This is chilli and rice:

Cooked Rice (Water, Long Grain Rice), Red Pepper (18%), British Beef (17%), Onion, Red Kidney Beans (11%), Tomato (6%), Beef Stock (Beef Juices, Tomato Paste, Onion, Carrot), Tomato Purée, Cornflour, Garlic Purée, Rapeseed Oil, Coriander Leaf, Cumin, Salt, Smoked Paprika, Molasses, Chilli Powder, Oregano, Coriander, Black Pepper.

Tomato and basil chicken:

Baby Potato (42%), Tomato (25%), British Chicken (20%), Onion, Water, Rapeseed Oil, Sundried Tomato, Garlic Purée, Tomato Purée, Sugar, Cornflour, Olive Oil, Sunflower Oil, Rosemary, Basil, Salt, Potato Starch, White Wine Vinegar, Oregano, Black Pepper, Lemon Juice from Concentrate, Garlic Extract, Basil Extract.

But yeah, totally nutritionally deficient and full of preservatives. Carry on judging me.
    Over here in the U.S., I'm pretty sure those same foods would be laced with preservatives, particularly when it comes to cheaper brands.

And???

How do those preservatives actively harm my health, deplete the nutrients that are in the frozen meal, or otherwise hinder my progress toward my goals?
    This goes back to one of my points I made in my OP regarding what's been proven and what has not been.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    mom2kateRH wrote: »
    I'm really late to this game, and people will probably really disagree with me. But I see a lot of posts along the lines of "if you are hungry, you are not eating enough or the right things," or other similar phrases that imply you can calorie reduce without feeling hungry. And that if you do feel hungry, you are doing something wrong. I worry that this sets people up with unrealistic expectations. Plain and simple, I've gone from eating a LOT of food a LOT of the time, usually when I was not hungry, to appropriately reducing my calories and eating better. I eat a fair bit of fat (at least 30% of my calories come from fat), and protein, and I'm hungry often.

and to be honest, I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily. Actually, I kind of enjoy the feeling, because I'm starting to listen to my body cues, rather than just giving in to cravings.

If you set yourself up with reasonable goals and expectations then you should be hungry during weight loss really.

Sure you will get peckish or feel a rumble before your meal times but to be actually hungry as much as some people are is a good indication that they are doing something wrong.

For example

If you ate a bag of chips and a chocolate bar for breakfast vs a fruit smoothie with protein powder which one do you think would digest slower...both have 500 calories...but the protein will keep you feeling fuller longer.

so regardless of weather you like it or not it's true. Plain and Simple.

Just because you want to lose weight doesn't mean you have to starve or be hungry.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I'm really late to this game, and people will probably really disagree with me. But I see a lot of posts along the lines of "if you are hungry, you are not eating enough or the right things," or other similar phrases that imply you can calorie reduce without feeling hungry. And that if you do feel hungry, you are doing something wrong. I worry that this sets people up with unrealistic expectations. Plain and simple, I've gone from eating a LOT of food a LOT of the time, usually when I was not hungry, to appropriately reducing my calories and eating better. I eat a fair bit of fat (at least 30% of my calories come from fat), and protein, and I'm hungry often.

and to be honest, I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily. Actually, I kind of enjoy the feeling, because I'm starting to listen to my body cues, rather than just giving in to cravings.

If you set yourself up with reasonable goals and expectations then you should be hungry during weight loss really.

Sure you will get peckish or feel a rumble before your meal times but to be actually hungry as much as some people are is a good indication that they are doing something wrong.

For example

If you ate a bag of chips and a chocolate bar for breakfast vs a fruit smoothie with protein powder which one do you think would digest slower...both have 500 calories...but the protein will keep you feeling fuller longer.

Just because you want to lose weight doesn't mean you have to starve or be hungry.

Assuming you meant to say "should not be hungry" in your opening statement?

I can't think of a time where I was truly hungry at any point throughout this process. I ate, I logged, but spent a great deal of time identifying what was really hungry and what was cravings or eating out of boredom.

Food selection is critical as well. Oatmeal and eggs fills me up, but this doesn't have the same effect for everyone.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member

For example

I can't think of a time where I was truly hungry at any point throughout this process. I ate, I logged, but spent a great deal of time identifying what was really hungry and what was cravings or eating out of boredom.

Food selection is critical as well. Oatmeal and eggs fills me up, but this doesn't have the same effect for everyone.

I think this was a critical realization for me- when is it my body or my mind that is wanting to eat? I am much better at differentiating between them and how to handle it. And I find that overall, my cravings have gone down (not gone, but less frequent/intense).

And choosing foods that are satisfying and filling for me as well. I do get a little hungry right before meals and for a little while, I was really hungry after changing my workout routine, but I adjusted a few things and now I am back to minor hunger (normal hunger) all while losing weight. Some foods work well for me and other don't- it is a matter of trial and error and personal preference.
  • SezxyStef

For example

yes thank you.

For example

not saying you have to starve. But I definitely feel hungry during the day.

and I know there are people who do it without feeling significant hunger, but for me, that just doesn't work. to stress though, at the root of my being overweight was eating mindlessly and large volume. and I was NEVER hungry.

Now, I eat much more mindfully, and I make good choices. don't limit fat or protein. I have protein at every meal/snack, as well as fat at every meal/snack. and I'm hungry. Not starving all day or anything, but definitely hungry before meals. and for me, this is actually a GOOD thing.

and I mentioned that in my post...being peckish or hungry before meals is normal but people talk about being hungry all the time or starving etc.

That is not necessary for weight loss.

I think that sometimes people get lost in the minutia of what is being said.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Sooooooo I just had a 500ml coffee. Did I up my lean mass by about a lb? What happens when I take a poop? Is that lean mass, or not? What about the toast I'm digesting? Is the toast lean mass and the butter fat?

Probably a weird and gross question, but I have always wondered how defecation effects CICO, lol. Like, If I consume 2000 kcal, but then some of that food is processed out as waste, does that change the CICO balance, and in what way?

Unless the food is coming out unprocessed (like corn), then no. What comes out it pretty much devoid of calories. The impact is minimal.

But it is weight loss :)

Is it devoid of calories? Why do some animals eat it?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member

For example

yes thank you.

For example

and I know there are people who do it without feeling significant hunger, but for me, that just doesn't work. to stress though, at the root of my being overweight was eating mindlessly and large volume. and I was NEVER hungry.

Now, I eat much more mindfully, and I make good choices. don't limit fat or protein. I have protein at every meal/snack, as well as fat at every meal/snack. and I'm hungry. Not starving all day or anything, but definitely hungry before meals. and for me, this is actually a GOOD thing.

and I mentioned that in my post...being peckish or hungry before meals is normal but people talk about being hungry all the time or starving etc.

Meh, I used to only be hungry when approaching meals when I was in a deficit. Now that I'm nursing (I have a 10 week old), I'm legit hungry all the time. I'm eating maintenance plus exercise and letting the breastfeeding create the deficit, so not undereating. So far, it's manageable, but I'm always thinking about food.
  • SezxyStef

For example

yes thank you.

For example

Meh, I used to only be hungry when approaching meals when I was in a deficit. Now that I'm nursing (I have a 10 week old), I'm legit hungry all the time. I'm eating maintenance plus exercise and letting the breastfeeding create the deficit, so not undereating. So far, it's manageable, but I'm always thinking about food.

nursing is a bit of a different circumstance tho....I mean really...you could be at a 500 a day deficit which is 1lb a week...

I personally, when breast feeding, wasn't hungry ever...but I ate and ensure I didn't lose weight...I didn't and don't think that in the first 6 months at least, losing the "extra" weight from being pregnant should be that important...

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member

For example

yes thank you.

For example

nursing is a bit of a different circumstance tho....I mean really...you could be at a 500 a day deficit which is 1lb a week...

I personally, when breast feeding, wasn't hungry ever...but I ate and ensure I didn't lose weight...I didn't and don't think that in the first 6 months at least, losing the "extra" weight from being pregnant should be that important...

Breastfeeding was number one reason I lost the extra baby weight. I exclusively breastfed until six months and then breastfed until they self weaned. It's a myth that losing weight while breastfeeding is bad.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member

For example

yes thank you.

For example

Oh I know it is.

I'm only working on losing weight because my supply is good. If my supply dips, I'll be upping my calories immediately.

Also it feels amazing to workout again. I had some complications and wasn't allowed to do anything more than walking since October.
This discussion has been closed.