Calories in calories out!

lollyolivia
lollyolivia Posts: 305 Member
Well after realizing skipping meals and fad diets were No Bueno. I decided to back to the basics "it's all about calories in calories out". Counting calories is a first for me and I have to say I'm surprised at how well I'm doing! I've should've listen to my high school gym teacher. I can still hear her saying "watch your calories and get moving ladies it's the key to staying healthy" it only took me 20 year to take her advice :# 12 lbs gone and it's only the beginning! I'd love to hear about what's working for y'all please share and or friend me :)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    "Skipping meals" is not a problem... Eat when you like. Technically I don't skip any meals as I eat all the meals I plan, I just happen to plan them to be after 1pm most of the time.

However you achieve a calorie deficit is the right way for you!
  • lollyolivia
    edited June 2017
    Funny thing is I'm eating more now and feel hungry more often. I guess I jumpstarted my metabolism. I'm having smaller meals and healthier options. Thanks for the insight :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Funny thing is I'm eating more now and feel hungry more often. I guess I jumpstarted my metabolism. I'm having smaller meals and healthier options. Thanks for the insight :)

Your metabolism doesn't stop...if it did, you'd be dead. You're may be eating more food, but it's likely you've made changes to larger amounts of lower calorie foods.

I used to do 6+ meals a day and was constantly hungry.... It was miserable! Eating bigger meals less often keeps me more satisfied.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Calories in/out works short term because many of those calories your cutting are refined carbs.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    Calories in/out works short term because many of those calories your cutting are refined carbs.

I'm not sure I understand your statement... CICO works period. Refined carbs can be part of weight loss diet
  • 1982Josie
    1982Josie Posts: 95 Member
    Well done Olivia!
    I am 12lb down too with 92lb to go, I will add you ;)
  • lollyolivia
    [quote="Aztec4Life;

Hello Aztec, it's true I am cutting out refined carbs however I'm also learning how to read labels and choose better meal options. I've also added exercise to lose the calories I've taken in throughout the day. My hopes are that I can continue to choose healthier foods and to remain active not only for my current diet but as a lifestyle to stay healthy.
  • lollyolivia
    Josie - Thank you! You can do this :) we WILL do this!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    @lollyolivia - I can relate! This is my first experience counting calories too, and it's working. I'm not starving myself and then feeling anxious when it's time to eat (often followed by overeating). My body seems to like steady fuel, not too little and not too much. I time my meals and aim for a certain amount of protein, and I'm feeling satisfied and watching the scale slowly move in the right direction. Way to go with your 12 lb loss!
  • cherylbryson63
    cherylbryson63 Posts: 1 Member
    I am new to this and wanted to know if you should eat the extra calories your allowed after adding your daily exercise.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I am new to this and wanted to know if you should eat the extra calories your allowed after adding your daily exercise.

My Fitness Pal calculates a goal for you based on the info you enter during set up which does not include any exercise. If you do none, you should lose at the rate that you selected, assuming you are logging accurately. So when you do exercise, and those calories are added, then yes, you are meant to eat at least some of them back. Some people find the calorie burn estimates a little high, so most recommend starting by eating back about 50-75% of the cals until you establish a predictable pattern of weight loss and know if they are inflated for you.

• lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Very inspiring . Thanks for posting .
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!