Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Sodium vs Salt, mg vs g problem should be addressed

barrowhbarrowh Member Posts: 24 Member Member Posts: 24 Member
Many database entries have an incorrect or ridiculous value for sodium content.

This is a vitally important issue for people who must watch their sodium intake.

The source of the problem is that when users enter the value, they may not realise that food labels often give salt content instead of sodium and/or grams instead of milligrams. Naive entry of the number leads to incorrect values in the database, often zero.

It is easy to address the problem: just put a units selector beside the number input box. I suggest "mg Sodium / g Sodium / mg Salt / g Salt". It is then trivial to do the conversion to mg sodium for the database.

The problem has existed for several years and, despite repeated complaints, nothing has been done about it. Why not?

Please fix this bug. And don't say it is not a problem in the USA because of USDA labelling. It is a problem everywhere.

Replies

• lemurcat12lemurcat12 Member Posts: 30,886 Member Member Posts: 30,886 Member
    People are sloppy about data entry in all categories, especially the ones fewer people care about (which includes sodium/salt). It's not a bug, it's just how it is. If someone has to be concerned about that information, they need to do the work to identify the good entries. (I say this as someone who typically uses the USDA entries and has been careful to identify the correct/accurate ones. If you are going from a package it's easy to check it against your own package, also.)
  • jbauer83jbauer83 Member Posts: 12 Member Member Posts: 12 Member
    How has this not been addressed yet?!?! It’s stupid that this has gone on for so long!!!!!! It’s the same as people entering temperature as degrees centigrade thinking it’s the same as Fahrenheit. MyFitnessPal needs to give people the option to measure either Salt or Sodium then convert it to the one people use. For example. People in UK will be using Salt and therefor any food showing sodium numbers m, app needs to convert these to salt.
  • legsylexilegsylexi Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    This is a really annoying problem, and it would have such an easy fix (at the very least having an option just to put in the salt in g and the app doing the conversion, instead of me having to do it by hand each time). Also, just as a general thing - it's a good idea to make your app accessible for non-US users!
  • pasalcpasalc Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member
    Wanted to add my voice to this salt/sodium request. Your database is flawed as people continue to erroneously enter salt numbers in the sodium field. The problem is exacerbated as users cannot overwrite data when known to be wrong. Please address this, as many have already asked.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,601 Member Member Posts: 7,601 Member
    As I said back in 2017, MFP doesn't really have the ability to do that (you'd think, but from my experience here they don't). Also, the entries would still be wrong. If you really care about information other than basic cals and macros (and even there you are going to get wonky carb numbers if you are in a country that does net carbs, like most outside of the US and Canada), you have to vet your own entries until the ones you normally use are in your frequent and recent foods.

USDA entries will have correct sodium numbers, and for UK packaged goods you can check or do the conversion and create a personal entry. (You can correct errors in entries also.)

MFP knows the database is flawed -- it's user sourced for the most part.
    edited June 2019
  • Annie_01Annie_01 Member Posts: 3,115 Member Member Posts: 3,115 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

@lemurcat2 I agree. This is my answer for most everything!
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,601 Member Member Posts: 7,601 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

@lemurcat2 I agree. This is my answer for most everything!

Heh, I should have left it at that, probably! ;-)
This discussion has been closed.