I want to attend college but I did not do well in school

weightloss_acc
weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
I am working full time as a cna , I would love to move further in the medical field. I don't want to struggle in life, I would love to own my own house . And not rent . I want to go to school but I didn't do well in school. I am also afraid that I won't be able to work full time. I need advice

Replies

• beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Try community college one class at a time to get your grades up before applying to a four-year school.
  • ElvisPedro
    ElvisPedro Posts: 7 Member
    Hi, I did not do well at school and thought I wasn't very clever When I was about 24, I worked in an office that employed university students during the summer (I'm in the UK) and realised that some of them were a lot dopier than me, lol. I left work, went to college then uni. I got a 2.1 honours degree in business and childhood studies. My advice is to go for it!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    All great advice. Start with the end in mind. Do you want to stay in the nursing field or do you want to branch out into management?

For example:

Some CNAs do more than progress through the CNA career ladder – they become administrators. This is a career for those with a solid academic foundation as well as strong people skills.

Being an administrator requires specific managerial skills and is related to managing programs / offices in hospice, nursing home / home health care (which is becoming very popular). These positions also require a license throughout the United States. Requirements vary from state to state, but the position generally requires a bachelor’s degree. In some states, a person can legally become an administrator with an associate’s degree, but it’s difficult to secure a position with this level of education. Individuals may pursue a degree in health care administration or a related field. A limited number of schools offer degrees specifically in nursing home administration.

BTW, the pay is much better and the hours tend to also be less erratic.

Beginning salaries range from about $50,000 to $60,000 a year. A mid-career nursing home administrator should expect to earn between $65,000 and $90,000, though some earn more than $100,000. Salaries vary widely depending on the region of the United States, the size of the facility and type of ownership.

When you say that you don't do well in school, what does that mean? Does it mean that you don't comprehend the material or that you don't know how to study / take tests?

Many community colleges, especially those that feed into a four year state school (and I recommend these because they are cheaper than the for profit schools) require baseline classes in math, English and study skills before you can even take other classes, especially if you are transferring their credits to a four year state school.

Also, if you go year-round, full time, you can get through the associates program (community college) in 18 months.

If you are a minority, female, first college attender in your family, there are many programs still active that may help cover the costs of the tuition and books. This may also require that you give up your apartment and save your money by living in a room in a house, or move in with relatives who are willing to put up with you until you complete your degree.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    I did not do great in school, I obviously passed all of my classes or I wouldn't have graduated. Then I went to a community college and decided partying all the time was the best course of action :s I eventually stopped going, flash forward a year I applied to a different community college, and was working full time, so I decided to take all of my classes online I now am finally almost done with my associates, (one semester away) I just got accepted to a great school for my bachelors and just got a notice in the mail that I made the deans list. The point of my story is that although your previous grades do matter, you will get into a community college, and if you focus and do well you should have no problem moving forward in your academic career. I wish I had gotten my act together earlier, but honestly I obviously wasnt mature enough at the time to handle it, and Im glad now that I decided to focus and by the time I'm 28 I'll have my CPA. If you want to go to school you totally should, it has changed alot for me so I recommend it.
  • Nitroalley2
    Nitroalley2 Posts: 3,419 Member
    All great stories. I flunked out of college, went into the military, got out and went to community college, then back to a four year school at night while working and on to my masters and CPA. If you make up your mind to want it bad enough you can do it.
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    I am working full time as a cna , I would love to move further in the medical field. I don't want to struggle in life, I would love to own my own house . And not rent . I want to go to school but I didn't do well in school. I am also afraid that I won't be able to work full time. I need advice

I hated high school and barely passed. But it's a completely different thing to go back to college by choice, by studying a program that's of interest to you, and paying the whole shot yourself. When it's your choice and motivation to be there, you tend to do better. At least that was true for me.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Try community college one class at a time to get your grades up before applying to a four-year school.

I think this is really good advice. Take a class or two at a community college to get your feet wet. You MIGHT find, as many people do, that you do much better in school as an adult. You have some maturity and discipline now that maybe you didn't have before.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    It really just depends on whether or not you want to be there and whether or not you're willing to put forth the effort. In high school I was a C average student. Well.. I had the capacity to do better I just didn't want to be there so I didn't give a @#$%^ most of the time. I left college after 1 year and didn't go back for a long long time. About 10 years ago I decided I wanted to go back and I did. I graduated with a 4.0 average. Mostly because I wanted very badly to be there and do well, and secondly because I refused to procrastinate about even the smallest assignment. I showed up early to ask for the weekly assignments, got them done early, and when I wanted to relax for the rest of the week I knew I had everything done. It made a hell of a difference. Even when I wouldn't do perfectly on exams I would have a 110% grade on homework/assignments so it kept my grades A's. It's all in the effort and desire you put forth.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Life changes. There are paths to what you want. Education is a great path which has many paths through it as well. What you have done in the past? Its the past. You can't forget it, it follows you everywhere but you can put it behind you by kicking *kitten* going forward.

Its amazing what happens when you connect your passion to your studies rather than being force fed a curriculum of general everything.

Also, while they have their purpose, I recommend staying away from trade, technical and for-profit institutions.

And have fun doing it.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Don't let highschool define the rest of your life. If it's truly what you want, go for it!! BUT prioritize your goals and needs egich includes a plan on how best to achieve them. Go at your own pace. There are night classes, computer classes, and on-site classes. Cs are passing grades too, No one says you have to earn straight As, nor be a full-time student.

It's do-able: I graduated highschool and was an okay student but hardly ever studied. I had ZERO desire to attend college. Fast forward 2-3 years, I was married with a newborn and decided to start college. It took me 10 years, blood, sweat, and tears but I did it! Even had baby #2 along the way. In that time I received: Diploma in Accounting, AAT, AAS, and BBA. All with Honors. I did part-time accounting work, which allowed my family and classes to take priority as well as earn much needed career experience. We sacrificed as a family but my career and our family's long term gains were so worth it.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    ignore all of the advice above this post; it's all horrible.

there's really only one option moving forward:

51FejehdBiL._AC_UL320_SR234,320_.jpg

I can't think of a single community college where everyone on campus wears a cool hat.

french-foreign-legion-soldiers-marching-brkh0a.jpg

• dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I hated high school and barely graduated, but I liked college and graduated with honors. You'll be fine, just don't take too many classes in one semester if you plan on continue working full time.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Her mom goes to college

a51449b981d021a95b394a8bd20ab28d.jpg