Breastfeeding and not losing weight at 1700 cals

I'm exclusively breastfeeding (my baby is 1 month old) and at 1700 calories a day. I'm 5'3" but I have been stuck at the same weight for a week now. I know this seems premature, but I was losing weight every few days before this at 1800 calories. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    I know this seems premature, but I was losing weight every few days before this at 1800 calories. What am I doing wrong?

When was this?

In the last month? Post- partum weight loss is a different ball game from regular weight loss. Your body is recovering from pregnancy and birth. You are releasing all kinds of fluids.

Was it before baby? If so, you were losing on 1800. You need to add in adequate calories for nursing.

Set your mfp to maintenance. Be patient. Your baby is only 1 month old. Losing weight is not the most important thing. Work on establishing and keeping your supply (it's a total *kitten* to get it back). And enjoy this time.
  • marshageroli
    marshageroli Posts: 41 Member
    Thanks for the replies. I realize how ridiculous I sound, but before I got pregnant I was finally at a healthy weight through major dieting and exercise and then gained 45 pounds during pregnancy. I'm over the top worried about not getting back to my original weight. I just want to be able to fit in my clothes again ): I guess it helps getting a reality check, especially since I keep hearing about all of these women that are back to their pre pregnancy weight by six weeks. I will definitely give it more time and stop obsessing so much.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm 10 weeks post partum. My weight didn't start moving until about 2 weeks ago. Be patient.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Also, I've been eating at maintenance plus my exercise calories. This means my breastfeeding is what is creating my deficit. By doing this, trendweight says I'm losing at a rate of .7lbs a week and my supply hasn't been impacted at all.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Well, if it makes you feel better... I'm 5 years postpartum and just getting into those prepregnancy jeans. What did I do wrong that I could control? I could have had more patience and had a small, maintainable deficit.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Just boob as much as possible. I'm still losing weight at nearly 4 months post-partum and am now lighter than pre-pregnancy. All of this is thanks to breastfeeding on demand 24/7
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    edited June 2017
    Be patient! I would actually wait a whole lot longer before even thinking about losing weight. At 4 weeks post partum, you really do need a LOT of calories to nurse the baby! Your body needs to recover. It takes time. ENJOY this precious time with your baby. Soon enough the time will come for counting calories and weight loss- but now is the time to just snuggle with baby, focus on adjusting to life with Baby, and eat. I've lost pregnancy weight five times. Everyone's different, but for me, it's at least a few months before I can start thinking about losing weight. This last time, I tried losing weight at about 6 wks post partum (it was a no-go), then again around 8 months (ended up with breastfeeding issues), and now finally at 14 months, I am trying again (and this time it will work).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Enjoy your baby. Rest. They'll be big before you know it. The weight loss will come.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    I agree what everyone said, plus wanted to add be careful not to go super low on calories consumed so you produce enough milk for your baby.
  • annahath150
    annahath150 Posts: 8 Member
    Mummy magic weight loss tea can help you to lose weight. It increases metabolism which causes you to burn more calories and also curbs your appetite. It also helps to digest your food better which will help you get more fuel and nutrition from what you eat.

However, if you rely only on weight loss tea alone you may get disappointed. Yes, it will work but it'll work much better if you make other changes too. Like increase your activity level, decrease what you eat overall and change some of the stuff to eat to be more healthy.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Mummy magic weight loss tea can help you to lose weight. It increases metabolism which causes you to burn more calories and also curbs your appetite. It also helps to digest your food better which will help you get more fuel and nutrition from what you eat.

However, if you rely only on weight loss tea alone you may get disappointed. Yes, it will work but it'll work much better if you make other changes too. Like increase your activity level, decrease what you eat overall and change some of the stuff to eat to be more healthy.

No such thing as magic weight loss tea.
  • LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member

Lol... If it doesn't help you lose weight while not changing diet and exercise routines than it's not helping you lose weight and it's definitely not magic.

I'm a just recently weened breastfeeding mom and lost no weight while breast feeding because of ppd and lack of motivation. Take it slow and don't worry about anyone else but you. Everyone is different and you will only depress yourself more if you compare yourself to others. Good luck with your weightloss journey.