What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Lifestyle change. WOE. Anyone using words that indicate they have an aversion to the word "diet" which literally means "the food you eat" and isn't actually supposed to have any temporal indication about the amount you eat.

I found this is mostly used by new or relatively new dieters, because they are desperately trying to distance themselves from the act of dieting due to having been burned by it before. I don't use "lifestyle change" because it doesn't apply to me, but I can understand where this is coming from. What makes me sad is when their chosen "lifestyle change" is very obviously not sustainable and they are doing the same things they've always attempted and then they "fell off the wagon", but they believe they will be able to willpower their way through it this time.

Sometimes I just want to scream at them to stop torturing themselves. Attempting a 180 and expecting it to work is not realistic, and using this term places an unfair burden of expectation on them. Little tweaks here and there are more realistic. They may or may not end up accumulating into a lifestyle "change" depending where you start and where you end, but it's too early to use that term. Interestingly, many successful dieters don't have that knee jerk reaction to the word "diet", and many people who truly did manage to eventually do a 180 successfully do not use the word "lifestyle change".
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Lifestyle change. WOE. Anyone using words that indicate they have an aversion to the word "diet" which literally means "the food you eat" and isn't actually supposed to have any temporal indication about the amount you eat.

I found this is mostly used by new or relatively new dieters, because they are desperately trying to distance themselves from the act of dieting due to having been burned by it before. I don't use "lifestyle change" because it doesn't apply to me, but I can understand where this is coming from. What makes me sad is when their chosen "lifestyle change" is very obviously not sustainable and they are doing the same things they've always attempted and then they "fell off the wagon", but they believe they will be able to willpower their way through it this time.

Sometimes I just want to scream at them to stop torturing themselves. Attempting a 180 and expecting it to work is not realistic, and using this term places an unfair burden of expectation on them. Little tweaks here and there are more realistic. They may or may not end up accumulating into a lifestyle "change" depending where you start and where you end, but it's too early to use that term. Interestingly, many successful dieters don't have that knee jerk reaction to the word "diet", and many people who truly did manage to eventually do a 180 successfully do not use the word "lifestyle change".

I use lifestyle change and I'm three years in.

I was a sedentary closet eater who would cry if I thought about working out or limiting my intake. Now I love running and yoga (I lift too, but don't love it) and IIFYM. I'm a different, much happier person.

Lifestyle change is really the only way to describe it. I did it through small changes that turned into habits.

Not sure if I'm agreeing with you or disagreeing...

I'm guilty of this and generally dislike the term diet as it is used in mainstream. I follow where data leads me. In this problem I rely on the data, habits, and behavior of the successful and much of this from the National Weight Control Registry. Implementing small changes over time yields dramatic sustainable results.

To this point I focus on the long term and try to do the same with people new to this concept. Why implement a temporary change for a long term problem?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

I was a sedentary closet eater who would cry if I thought about working out or limiting my intake. Now I love running and yoga (I lift too, but don't love it) and IIFYM. I'm a different, much happier person.

Lifestyle change is really the only way to describe it. I did it through small changes that turned into habits.

That was exactly my point (and why I said "many" not "all"). You built sustainable habits, you did not one day decide to uproot your whole life and run in the other direction. That's what new dieters who use this word often imagine they should be doing and one of the reasons they are using this term. It's just unfair.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    "if you're hungry drink some water, sometimes people confuse thirst for hunger".

This actually happens to people? Pretty sure I can tell the damn difference between thirst and hunger.

I can testify that yes I had this problem, but besides previous dieting attempts I never would drink water and I rarely would drink anything at all. I might have a coke with dinner, but just getting something to drink because I was thirsty? That was a foreign concept to me. Anecdotal story, but my mother claimed even as a baby I wouldn't finish a bottle. I don't know if many people have this problem, but I was definitely guilty of confusing hunger and thirst. But I realized eventually I confused a lot of things with hunger. Bored = hungry. Sad = hungry. Happy = hungry. Tired = hungry. Want food = hungry. I didn't really know what the flip being hungry was and I do think a lot of people are guilty of confusing hunger with other emotions.

Yeah, I don't go around throwing the word "lifestyle change" around, but I did have to change the way I lived my life. I was extremely sedentary. Like get maybe 2k steps on a good day sedentary. A typical day I got a thousand steps. I would sit at my desk all day at work and come home do a few things and then sit at home.

Had to stop that. I also had to change my dietary habits. I've always felt that diet implies this is something I'm doing for a certain period of time to lose weight and then it's done. If you use diet to simply mean eating less than you burn it applies, but the thing is even after this "diet" is over I'm still going to eat like this and live like this. Yes, I'll get to eat a few hundred calories more, but I'm not suddenly going to go back to my old way of eating.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    savithny wrote: »
    BY THE SAME TOKEN: There is no "conspiracy" to hide inexpensive or free treatments for cancer, diabetes, etc from "the people." IF THERE WAS A CHEAP EFFECTIVE CANCER TREATMENT? EVERYONE WOULD BE DOING IT BECAUSE IT WORKED. "They" are not "hiding it from you so they can sell their expensive 'pHARMa' to you. SERIOUSLY.

Some of my fellow nurses believe this bilge! Makes me insane.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited June 2017
    Shocking or surprising the body in some way.

People who insist you have to change up your diet and/or exercise or it'll stop working because the body gets used to it. I'm still trying to get my head around that one.

Sure, the diet does need looking at now and again as the calorie goal should drop as you lose weight but the thought of continued loss being because the "metabolism is supprised" annoys me a lot.

Oh yeah the whole 'you have to shock your body' BS. Because clearly your body will stop burning calories if you keep doing the same things :|
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member

That was exactly my point (and why I said "many" not "all"). You built sustainable habits, you did not one day decide to uproot your whole life and run in the other direction. That's what new dieters who use this word often imagine they should be doing and one of the reasons they are using this term. It's just unfair.

Truue, but even if not sudden, it IS still a lifestyle change.

But your post did make me realize that one of the reasons I've never objected to it is that I've always interpreted the 'life' part of it as duration - which isn't how I suppose most people mean it! And (at least for me) style is something minor. Like, 'oh, these heels and that dress will be wonderfully classy together, and I'll put my Chucks in my bag and switch out for a funky vibe if my feet get sore.' So, put together - minor changes that you can stick to for the rest of your life.

Like I said - probably not how most people mean it! XD