What's your favorite sugar substitute for baking?

Options
ZoneFive
ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
I have some excellent recipes for cheesecake, chocolate mousse and meringues, and I'm looking to shift them over to low carb versions. LC bakers, what's your go-to? Or are there some that are better for certain applications? Recommendations greatly appreciated!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    In things like cheesecake or mousse, I'd use stevia. I have liquid ones that I don't think taste bad - some people don't like stevia and say it has a bitter aftertaste.

Meringues with sugar substitute are generally a fail imo, the sugar is needed for the final result.

Baking, I've used natvia (stevia/erythritol mix), and xylitol. They are ok, but the "real" thing is still better.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I think Swerve is the best tasting, but really I prefer real sugars. I despise stevia.
  • thelifeilove1
    thelifeilove1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Xylotol here.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much! I have some experimentation to do, I think!
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A mixture of erythritol (often powdered in my NutriBullet because it doesn't dissolve like regular sugar) and stevia drops. They counteract each other's weird flavors.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Monkfruit/erythritol blend or xylitol. Stevia always has a strange bitter aftertaste to me. I also like the others because you can do a cup to cup replacement in recipes.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    With zero detailed research, I bought a bag of sucralose and use that as a sugar substitute for some baking. I baked a friendship bread today and used real sugar because the previous time I used sucralose it tasted sad. I don't use it in yeast bread, as the yeast needs to eat real sugar.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    In things like cheesecake or mousse, I'd use stevia. I have liquid ones that I don't think taste bad - some people don't like stevia and say it has a bitter aftertaste.

Meringues with sugar substitute are generally a fail imo, the sugar is needed for the final result.

Baking, I've used natvia (stevia/erythritol mix), and xylitol. They are ok, but the "real" thing is still better.

For Meringues, you can use Stevia or whatever else. But you have to add something to help the whites hold. So add something like corn starch.

I find the texture of meringues bad without sugar, the crust isn't very good.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    With baking, I've used a 50-50 mix of white sugar and Splenda or Stevia. I don't think it's AS good but I think it's a decent compromise.

When it comes to baking though, my biggest changes have been in serving sizes and choosing lower carb or lower sugar recipes. For example, mini apple-zucchini muffins (80 cals each) instead of regular muffins or cupcakes. "Skinny" lemon cheesecake bars (uses nonfat Greek yogurt, and low-fat cream cheese...instead of full fat sour cream and cream cheese)- 150 cals each 3"x3" square. Skinnytaste, Hungry Girl, and Pinterest are my go-tos for recipes!
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Xyla is my go to but swerve is a close second for me.