Fit bit is giving me 1427 exercise calories?!

Molly_234
Molly_234 Posts: 89 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Goal is 1210 calories and I've gotten 8300 steps. I am 5'2 amd 145 pounds. I have mfp set to sedentary since I work in an office. I ride my bike about 10 mins back and fourth to work everyday. My calorie adjustment is 1427 just from 8300 steps. There's no way that I should have over 2000 calories with a 1lb a week goal. I would be gaining weight?! ( I have my goal set to 1200 a day because I often go over on the weekends by going out to eat or drink)

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Ignore what your Fitbit is "giving" you. Eat only what you need to eat, to lose a pound a week. How long have you been eating at 1210 cal a day? Are you losing?
  • Molly_234
    Molly_234 Posts: 89 Member
    It says 1425 remaining. And I just started counting calories again after stopping for a few months during a big move. So It's too soon to see any results
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Yes, i've had the same problem with fitbit and garmin adding my TOTAL calories burned for the day to my MFP as an adjustment.

Honestly, I'm in agreement with fitmom, I think using the fitbit to be conscious of how much your moving is great; but i'd eat the same amount of calories to reach your goals regardless. Unless you have a day where you just go way way over your normal range.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Molly_234 wrote: »
    It says 1425 remaining. And I just started counting calories again after stopping for a few months during a big move. So It's too soon to see any results

Do you have negative adjustment calories checked? Also, the fitbit calories will adjust throughout the day. Only eat back your actual exercise calories (or half), not the standard amount of walking you'd do at work or throughout the day. You'll see toward the end of the day that those calories will adjust back down and may even take away calories from your workout calorie burn so just be aware.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    I mostly eat back my fitbit calories and am still losing 1kg a week.

Fitbit works on intensity of the steps, not just how many steps you've done. So if you did 8k steps really quickly you will burn more calories than if you slow ambled them across the whole day.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Yep I unsynced too. I felt like mine was overestimating burns, and giving me way more calories to eat back.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Muana1005 wrote: »

Fitbit works on intensity of the steps, not just how many steps you've done. So if you did 8k steps really quickly you will burn more calories than if you slow ambled them across the whole day.

that's not true. you burn the same amount of calories for the same distance regardless of how fast you got there.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member

so if you started with 1200 remaining and now you have 1425 remaining. that would be 225 calories back. Have you logged any food yet?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    I'm 5'3 and when I was at 145, I ate close to 2000 calories to lose weight. Doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

Make sure you have the same goal settings in MFP and Fitbit. Then try eating half of what Fitbit gives you and see what happens for at least 3 weeks.

Do not just ignore your Fitbit calories. Losing weight too fast isn't good for you! You're being somewhat aggressive already aiming for 1lb a week at your weight (I was doing .5lbs a week). Losing too quickly will cause you to lose a higher percentage of muscle than losing slowly.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »

that's not true. you burn the same amount of calories for the same distance regardless of how fast you got there.

yes and no...depends on the type of fitbit you have. If you have an HR you'll get more calories back for having a higher heart rate.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Goal is 1210 calories and I've gotten 8300 steps. I am 5'2 amd 145 pounds. I have mfp set to sedentary since I work in an office. I ride my bike about 10 mins back and fourth to work everyday. My calorie adjustment is 1427 just from 8300 steps. There's no way that I should have over 2000 calories with a 1lb a week goal. I would be gaining weight?! ( I have my goal set to 1200 a day because I often go over on the weekends by going out to eat or drink)

If it has a HR-monitor on it, I would guess you possinly had some artificial HR spikes in the data or high anxiety all day. That number of steps still fits in with a mostly sedentary workday (and since you are not obese, a bit of extra walking in the office wouldn't amount to much calorie burn), so I would probably ignore the Fitbit and log the 10 minute bike rides instead. If it is a new fitbit, it perhaps might still be adjusting your HR-max number/base activity level for its algorithms.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I have mine set to lightly active and I don't start getting more cals till about 7-8K. That does seem like a lot but are you very heavy?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    I was almost 19,000 steps on Saturday and it added 1700 extra calories...which i ate in the form of a Funnel Cake and Hot Sausage Sammich with a side of Haluski and Peirogis.

I got a whopping 600 for 18K... jealous lol
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    I am actually finding my charge 2 is extremely accurate. I am also finding that I need to eat back some of those calories because im dropping weight pretty quickly (which is nice, but being set to 1.5 lbs a week and losing 3-5 means im doing something wrong) Sometimes you need to experiment and see if what your doing is working or not for several weeks and make adjustments from that. I'd say if your set to 1,200 calories you will probably wind up getting a bigger adjustment if you are active. Yesterday I took a walk in the morning, then another one at night and during the day was running around my house cleaning and having guests over, I got a huge adjustment, over 1,000 calories, im not saying it will be accurate for you, but keep an eye on it, and try eating back some of the calories and see whta happens.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    I have a Charge HR. It's really, really accurate.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    I have a Charge HR. It's really, really accurate.
    I agree! my charge 2 hr is super accurate!