My wrist is big and when I put my middle finger and thumb around it they touch. Am I big boned?

2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Where exactly are you all doing this "test" on your wrist? I did it directly over my wrist bone and my fingers don't touch, if i move just below the bone they touch, but only just.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Wrist bone, with the bumpy part.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Well that's confirmed it, I'm a big boned heifer :tongue: :wink:
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member

use a measuring tape. Mine is 6" and I'm "big boned". The test is just to give you an idea of your frame size.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    The frame size test only works for people like me who had 5 inch wrists even when morbidly obese. It wouldn't work on people who put weight on their upper body.

Suggest you just use MFP without all the faff.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited June 2017
    My wrist is big and when I put my middle finger and thumb around it they touch. Am I big boned? I'm trying to figure out my frame size. I used to be skinny a long time ago but now I'm over weight and can't remember what I looked like at my lowest weight.

If you have fat wrists (many fat folks do) then how is measuring your wrist gonna tell you if you are "big boned"? And why are you even wondering about it? It's a useless measurement. Focus on meaningful information.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Frame size can set other things in context. A lot of women, especially, think of clothing sizes when they think about weight gain or loss, and clothing size can be very dependent on frame size. You can't diet your pelvis or ribcage smaller.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I don't think this measurement tells you much at all. Before I lost weight, my fingers didn't quite touch around my wrist. Now they overlap. My "frame" didn't change size; I just lost fat from my arms and hands.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    My wrists got smaller as I lost weight. It's a useless measurement.

If you're looking to set a goal, aim for the high end of a healthy BMI. Assess when you get there if you want to lose more based on body fat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,954 Member
    6.5 inch wrist (at BMI 21, female). Still 34 inch hips.

"Big boned"? LOL, LOL, LOL!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    My thumb and middle finger do not touch around my wrist, i have a normal/average frame, I'm 5"8 . I dont think this is a reliable test...

Mine overlap and I have a large frame: big shoulders, big hips, big head, big feet LONG FINGERS.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    My thumb and middle finger do not touch around my wrist, i have a normal/average frame, I'm 5"8 . I dont think this is a reliable test...

Mine overlap and I have a large frame: big shoulders, big hips, big head, big feet LONG FINGERS.

This^^ They overlap even more now that I've lost 27 lbs. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

use a measuring tape. Mine is 6" and I'm "big boned". The test is just to give you an idea of your frame size.

It seems incredibly unreliable.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    i am overweight, still need to lose anoter 50 lbs but i can touch my finger and thumb around my wrist with no problem. i don't have exceptionally long fingers, but i do have very tiny wrists and ankles. my weight is in my b00bs and waist. :o