Suggest a good weight loss exercise plan?!

So been eating good and have a great nutrition and meal plan going through a site called EMeals. They send me the recipes, shopping lists, meal prep info, ingredients, etc each week. I love it because it makes planning my week of food easy which always got in my way. I am on their Diabetic plan (I am not diabetic yet but I am sure I am pre and it runs in my family) so why not - it's a healthy way to eat.

I started working out this morning but was kind of all over just trying to think of things to do on the spot. I want to start with 15 minute morning workouts I can do before work three times a week. The other three days of the week I will go walk for 30 minutes. The Sunday is a rest day. Fifteen minutes at home is something I can commit to right now - hopefully it will build to longer once I develop a habit.

So looking for suggestions. I want some quick 15 minute workouts - that vary so I don't get bored. I have two 25lb dumbells, 1 resistance band, a workout bench, yoga mat. And my 300lbs of bodyweight - ha ha.

Any that you like that are good for beginners? Maybe a site you like I could go find some myself?

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited June 2017
    I would walk and build up to running for cardio 3x per week and do a progressive lifting program like Stronglifts 3x/week You might need a few more items, but it's cheap on Amazon. You can supplement with isolation for variety.
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    That is what I was thinking - walking three times a week between 2.5 to 3mph. Try to do some short jogs in there. (last time I tried this I got hairline fractures in both feet from jogging). I am over 310lbs.

Then strength / intervals three times a week. I found some 7 minute and 15 minute workout apps that just pop up with a photo and you start doing it till the timer goes off then you move to another. Supposed to work out at a level 8 and feel uncomfortable the whole time but your done in 15 minutes and it's easier to stick too for beginners (or so they say). It gets me huffing and puffing hard and sweating!

Also doing push ups every day. Any other quick exercise I should be doing each morning while I brush my teeth and shave - I heard planks are the world best exercise - that and burpees.
  • Rannoch3908
    I have heard of StrongLifts but I think it requires more space and equipment than I have available.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    To start out, I'd do intervals of push-ups, crunches, lunges, jumping jacks and a short sprint around the house/living room/anywhere you can or if you have stairs go up and down them a few times and repeat at least 3 times. If you can, I'd get a kettlebell and DVD as it can provide a great workout in your home, but will take more than 15 minutes (I got it on Amazon and it came with the DVD).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Look up You are Your Own Gym. Body weight exercise is a great start.

Brisk walking is great exercise. Work on increasing your pace up to 3.5 - 4 MPH. You don't need to run (right now) and risk injury. Low impact is fine. Climbing stairs is also great exercise.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    I second fitness blender! I love that website
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited June 2017
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Look up You are Your Own Gym. Body weight exercise is a great start.

Brisk walking is great exercise. Work on increasing your pace up to 3.5 - 4 MPH. You don't need to run (right now) and risk injury. Low impact is fine. Climbing stairs is also great exercise.

This. When you are drastically out of shape, you'll generally need to build up to a certain level of fitness with easier exercises before building up to something more strenuous or else you're risking injury at worst or an elevated level of fruitlessness at the very least. If you're anything like I was, just taking brisk walks will be enough to get your heart rate towards 75% of your maximum heart rate and keep your legs sore for weeks!

Start with brisk walks (not just strolls - make them feel like a workout) and modified body weight exercises for the first couple of months. After the first month or so, then maybe try unmodified body weight exercises, etc. In the third month, maybe add some interval training in place of the walking. Work your way up to it to avoid injury and to keep yourself motivated.
  • Rannoch3908
    edited June 2017
    So far I have been walking three times a week (30 minutes). I take the dog and do a circle of my whole neighborhood around 8am.

Then Monday - Wednesday - Friday I work out in my bedroom. I do the 7 minute workout app - two times. I leave huffing and puffing and sweaty so I know I am getting a good workout even if its just 14 minutes long.

I do 20 incline pushups and 60 jumping jacks on the days I walk as well.

Been eating great - getting between 1500-1800 calories a day which is perfect. I accidentally intermittent fast as I am not hungry till about 2pm each day. Then I eat a small lunch and a nice filling dinner. Dinners consist of a protein (chicken, beef, pork, seafood, or eggs) and a vegetable side.

Lost 7lbs this week so far. I know the first week is always drastic and then it tapers off. Hoping I can lose 10lbs by July 15th. Be at 295. It would be my first time in the 200's for about 5+ years. Even 290 would be better. I don't want to hover around 299-300 and go back and forth - just a mind thing for me to see it go back and forth.

My eventual goal is 250. I think I will be happy at that weight and for my big frame seems reasonable.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    I picked up a set of Bodylastics 12 pcs Snap Guard Resistance Bands Set with 5 Stackable anti-snap exercise tubes from Amazon and they are brilliant for working out in a tight space. Great to get you started.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I used to be your size. For a time I played racquetball in the morning, lifted weights at noon, and attended an aerobic class in the evening. I had a more healthy and somewhat slim workout/racquetball partner. I won more games than he did, and could lift more weight than he could. I could also eat more than he could. Despite months of this exercise, I lost no weight. I weighed 320 at the time.

If you want to lose weight, you'll need to use the food diary to keep track of everything you eat. Weigh stuff with a food scale. Log everything. Be accurate, complete, and honest with your food diary. Once you log your food and see your weight, you'll figure out what you can change and what you want to change about your eating habits.

Once I got control of my eating last year, and I was exercising with a lot of cardio, I lost weight quickly. I blew past 250, 240, 230, and didn't really slow down. I'm at 168 now and even in the last month have lost 3 pounds despite having had 3 binge days in that time.

By the time you get to 250, your habits will have changed enough that you'll be able to continue losing. Your frame isn't large. Your volume of adipose tissue is.
  • Rannoch3908
    edited June 2017
    JerromeBarry1 -- any tips for eating besides logging and weighing food which I am doing now?
    A meal plan you followed, eating style, etc. That is a lot of weight to drop - I am sure you secret is hard work and strict eating. Any other secrets you want to share that helped you reach your goal and surpass it?

I do know that eating right is 80% or more of losing weight. The working out is just basically to stay fit and healthy so one day if I ever get skinny I will actually look okay skinny. My body can use some help in blood flow, lungs, heart, muscle, ciculation, flexibility, etc.

I think I have always been bigger.
    145 in junior high school.
    189-215 in high school.
    18 years later after I graduate and get out of athletics (wrestling and football) I gain 100lbs.
    I am 6ft 3in and big build.

I am the gigantic guy on the left. My family isn't short or anything either. I am just huge....big boned they say.
    1nmeid2p5kj8.jpg

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Are you willing or able to pay for a gym membership? You pay for the space to lift heavy there. If your home space is the only one you have to work with, you can invest in a growing collection of kettlebells. These give you the tools to get very good strength and cardio workouts in a limited space.
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    So been eating good and have a great nutrition and meal plan going through a site called EMeals. They send me the recipes, shopping lists, meal prep info, ingredients, etc each week. I love it because it makes planning my week of food easy which always got in my way. I am on their Diabetic plan (I am not diabetic yet but I am sure I am pre and it runs in my family) so why not - it's a healthy way to eat.

I started working out this morning but was kind of all over just trying to think of things to do on the spot. I want to start with 15 minute morning workouts I can do before work three times a week. The other three days of the week I will go walk for 30 minutes. The Sunday is a rest day. Fifteen minutes at home is something I can commit to right now - hopefully it will build to longer once I develop a habit.

So looking for suggestions. I want some quick 15 minute workouts - that vary so I don't get bored. I have two 25lb dumbells, 1 resistance band, a workout bench, yoga mat. And my 300lbs of bodyweight - ha ha.

Any that you like that are good for beginners? Maybe a site you like I could go find some myself?

You tube has some AMAZING short workouts. Some are even body weight ones. Search around, a lot of them seem to be geared towards women/moms but still are GREAT workouts for everyone! Good luck!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    if joining a gym is an option, then look into strong lifts 5x5, all pro beginner routine, etc...run those programs and mix in some cardio on your off days and have one rest day per week ...
  • Rannoch3908
    I thought strong lifts required equipment?!?!

I have done it before but I needed weights, barbell, rack, etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I thought strong lifts required equipment?!?!

I have done it before but I needed weights, barbell, rack, etc.

yes, that is why we asked if joining a gym is an option?
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    I remember when I joined back in Jan someone told me to use Lesley Sansone walk at home videos you can do 15 to 45 mins or so depending on what you want to do. It has been a God send for me now I can walk miles without dying.