Vacation Advice!

Hey MyFitnessPal friends!

My family and I are going on a seven day Alaska cruise in a couple weeks. Have any of you out there been on a cruise and NOT gained like 10 pounds? What is the secret? I plan to bring my gym clothes and walk a lot in port, but food is literally everywhere on a ship. Looking for advice on how to "stay afloat!"

Thank you!

Nat

Replies

• LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    I'm curious to see what answers you get! I'm in a similar boat...heading to the beach for a week, so despite not having the endless food options, there will be a lot of temptation with great restaurants and lots of beach beverages. My plan is to still log everything and really get in some power walks.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    You probably will not gain 10 lbs of actual weight - a few of water weight to be sure. Just enjoy yourself without being a glutton or drunkard and you'll be fine. Or be a glutton or drunkard for 1 week, have the time of your life, and get back at being "on track" when you return. Either way, have FUN!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited June 2017
    Any weight I've gained on vacation is a combination of water weight and more inherent waste in my system for the most part. I'm always pretty active on vacations, so increased activity on vacation generally cancels out the fact that I'm eating and drinking beer. This is true for most people when they get home and see that they've gained 8-10 Lbs, but they freak out...if you do the actual math, you will see that you pretty much have to go ape *kitten* crazy to put on 8-10 Lbs of actual fat in a week or so...

Airline travel in particular causes me to gain significant water weight...usually 8-10 Lbs...but it's water, not fat.

Just enjoy your vacation.
  • SABoj
    SABoj Posts: 88 Member
    The most important thing that I've learned when on a cruise is to stay hydrated. People often confuse thirst for hunger.. and with the large feasts served on a cruise line, it's really easy to get yourself off track. So drink plenty of water and, when possible, incorporate plenty of veggies into your meals. Otherwise, enjoy yourself. Best Wishes!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    I have done an Alaskan cruise and the opportunities to be active while off the ship can more than make up for what you can reasonably consume while on the ship. You dont go on vacation to eat. You go to see the sights and have new experiences, so dont make food the focus. Eat sensibly, keeping your goals in mind, and enjoy the other stuff on offer.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    I went to vegas (buffet capital) and i did not restrict myself at all. i gained 5 lbs but lost it the next week. going to alaska sounds like a once in a lifetime thing. no way i would "diet" while on that vaca!!!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Enjoy your family and go live your life. When you get back home you can get back to the grind...
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    cross2bear wrote: »
    You dont go on vacation to eat. .

LOL sometimes that is EXACTLY why i go on vacation! LOL :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    I eat all the food, drink all the drinks, have all the ice cream and deal with it when I get back.

After I drop the water weight I have around 2lb to drop. Well worth it.

Amen!
  • NatiBlum
    NatiBlum Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you all! I'm planning on trying to stay as active as I can and not go too crazy and enjoy myself:) Vacation is fun time! Hope you all have a great rest of the week!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I have done an Alaskan cruise and the opportunities to be active while off the ship can more than make up for what you can reasonably consume while on the ship. You dont go on vacation to eat. You go to see the sights and have new experiences, so dont make food the focus. Eat sensibly, keeping your goals in mind, and enjoy the other stuff on offer.

Actually, one of my favorite things about traveling is experiencing the cuisine of other cultures or things I wouldn't typically get at home.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    You dont go on vacation to eat.

Maybe you don't, but that's one of my favourite things about traveling!! Trying new food!

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I got no advice about it other than to enjoy yourself and don't ever get to a condition of saying "Hold my beer."
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    You'll gain weight. It is just a given. Just take the stairs everywhere. You have no idea how much work a cruise is. I was walking miles a day just on the cruise ship and took who knows how many flights of stairs. I also ate and drank whatever I wanted and I love froo froo calorie bomb alcoholic mixed drinks!

I came back about 10lbs over when I left. A week later, I was 1lb lighter than my starting weight. :)
  • teach0722
    teach0722 Posts: 42 Member
    I just came back from a Caribbean Cruise and initially had the same concern. I did half-smart food choices & half-not so much. I tried to eat a healthy breakfast and salads for lunch. Dinner was started out eith good choices, but fell off toward the end. I did find the ice cream machine once a day and ate dessert every night. I included as much protein as I could at every meal. Drank only 2 small sodas! I took the stairs whenever possible. I ran twice as well. Overall, I was content with my choices. I didn't blow it all, but didn't limit myself as well. I felt I made a good compromise. Good luck!!
  • NatiBlum
    NatiBlum Posts: 8 Member
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    You'll gain weight. It is just a given. Just take the stairs everywhere. You have no idea how much work a cruise is. I was walking miles a day just on the cruise ship and took who knows how many flights of stairs. I also ate and drank whatever I wanted and I love froo froo calorie bomb alcoholic mixed drinks!

I came back about 10lbs over when I left. A week later, I was 1lb lighter than my starting weight

Lol actually I've been on several which is why I asked the question! I wanted to see if there was anything I could do differently. But, looks like not intentionally stuffing my face and walking a lot will help curb the bulk:)