How many calories are you eating?

chicbuc1
chicbuc1 Posts: 11 Member
I know it varies greatly. Just looking for some general ideas. Are you cutting as much as you would while not doing low carb? I'm 290ish and eating about 1800 calories a day. 20 or fewer net carbs.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Hashimoto's runs in my family so I don't ever cut calories too low since I don't want to stress out my thyroid. Currently doing Leangains (calorie/carb cycling), so goal is 2380 calories/164 carbs on Tu/Th/Sa and 1586 calories/50 carbs the rest of the days. I'm 5'9" - 145 lbs - 20% body fat.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I should count my calories and determine my actual macro since it has been a couple years. I guess my average is about 2000 calories daily. I have maintained in the 200-210 range for the past two years.

After getting a new acetone breath analyzer ($15 off eBay) I see I am triggering the .050 alarm often so I know my daily carbs are running under 50 grams.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    I average around 1200 calories, with net carbs around 20.

If I wasn't low-carb I probably wouldn't be satisfied at 1200/day but this WOE keeps me satisfied at that level.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I plugged my stats into MFP and moved forward with their calorie numbers which were ~1400 down to 1200 as the weight came off at a consistent average of 1.25 pounds per week for 53 weeks. 203 pounds down to 140 pounds. No big whooshes and no stalls. MFP (and a plethora of other online calculators) estimate my maintenance calories at ~1500 and that has been my average daily intake for a little over 3 years in maintenance.

LC was never a focus while losing or the 1st 1.5 years of maintenance but my chosen macro allocation of 40%C/30/30 at 1500 calories (and below), put me @ the high end of low carb grams. Sometime in maintenance I learned about LCHF and I now choose to eat lower carb and higher fat than I did during weight loss.

No matter how I have altered my macros I've maintained my loss via calories. The DIFFERENCE in macro allocation for me has been degree of hunger. Higher fat is more satiating to me and makes adherence to calories much easier. I still track foods but not rigidly.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited June 2017
    MY Macros are set to 1100 calories. I always hit below.
    You have to be careful that your macros are not too high, or what you're doing is not necessarily LOSING weight but maintaining your current weight.

If I'm honest, 1800 sounds too high to me.

@chicbuc1, What do you have your macros set at (Protein, carbs and fat)...?

(I see your carbs... and THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SAYING 'Fewer'....!!! :D )
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    My goal daily average is 1926, so maybe it's just perspective, but 1800 doesn't sound too low to me assuming adherence is good and tracking is accurate.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    You have to be careful that your macros are not too high, or what you're doing is not necessarily LOSING weight but maintaining your current weight.

That depends entirely on her height. If she's on the taller end like me, 1800 is on par for about a 1lb/week loss even without exercise.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

That depends entirely on her height. If she's on the taller end like me, 1800 is on par for about a 1lb/week loss even without exercise.

Yes, true, you have a point there.... :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    I eat around 1500-1600 when losing (I'm only 5'3). I don't find so far that my numbers are different on low carb than not.
  • chicbuc1
    chicbuc1 Posts: 11 Member
    So I have my goals with MFP to lose 1 pound per week. It sets me at 2060 calories/day. I never eat that many but that's my "allowance". I'm 5'7" and around 290 currently. I'm at 5% carbs--26g, 30% protein--155g, and 65% fat--149g.
  • allunits
    allunits Posts: 95 Member
    I'm 5'3 and I shoot for 1000, figuring I am unavoidably off by 200-400 every day because I cannot find exact counts for some of my staples (homemade dry sausages, dried meats, etc). I usually go over even by my counts, so I would estimate that I eat between 1200-1600 on average. I try to keep my carbs under 15.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    I average around 1200 calories, with net carbs around 20.

If I wasn't low-carb I probably wouldn't be satisfied at 1200/day but this WOE keeps me satisfied at that level.

Yep, I'm at around 1350 calories with net carbs around 20. This WOE keeps me so satisfied also. Love it. :)
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    I'm 5'3.5 and I'm eating about 1550 on average. I'm losing weight weight very slowly, recomp is more like it.
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    I'm currently 165lbs, 5'7 and am eating ~1400 calories a day. The macro calculator I used recommended a 20% deficit but I bumped it to 10%.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    I'm 191 lbs, 5'8". I have my calories set to about 1,400 but I have trouble finding an appetite for more than 1,200 most days. I stay at 20 net carbs or fewer & I try to hit my protein goals daily with varying degrees of success, my fat intake varies wildly depending on my appetite but I never go over my allotted macros. I exercise occasionally & I've got at least 30 more pounds to lose. I'm losing slowly & steadily & using intermittent fasting.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    I'm 5'2" 212 lbs, I am averaging 1300-1500 calories/day and losing 1-1.5 lbs/week depending on how active I am. I am definitely more satisfied than I was eating at this calorie level while low fat.
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    I'm 5'6, 236lbs (down from 275). I eat 1200 a day, net 800 or so. Under 20 carbs a day. I feel fantastic and honestly don't feel hungry, literally ever.
  • getfitchelle
    getfitchelle Posts: 31 Member
    edited June 2017
    1673.04 - haha. I work in kilojoules so didn't even have a clue how many calories I was eating.

I'm 34, 149cm (4'11"), losing slowly and steadily. Don't know how many pounds I am, pounds annoy me, I use metric measurements. I was 85.2kg this morning, I started at 89.9kg. I lose about 500-700g per week. I am breastfeeding an 11 month old though, and I am super in-active right now (lack of sleep messing with me!).
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    I am a similar size to you and I eat at about 1950 Cals per day - I am trying to do zero carb which tries to actually keep the carbs below 5g per day
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2017

Not to hijack, but this morning on the NEWS there was a report about a program to spay and neuter feral cats and return them to their habitat. It went on and on about how the program was so successful there were now LESS cats in the wild, and LESS cats in the shelters and LESS kittens... I couldn't help myself and kept yelling FEWER at the TV over and over. My husband came in looking at me like I'd lost my mind.

Now, back to the topic:

I don't know TBH.
    I'd say around 1400-1500? I'm not currently losing, though I'd like to lost the meno-pot, and guess I should be a meticulous counter for a while.

My digits:
    5'6", 142, post menopausal, 52, moderately active.