Meal kits: what's the point?

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2017
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Hmmm, maybe I'm a child who is lazy, helpless and can't cook.
    Or possibly, I'm an adult who likes having a box of high quality fresh veggies and meat/fish delivered to my door from time to time. With the service I use (once a month or so), I still need to do the prep and add some spices, sauces and staples - I get a pantry list the week before.

My reason - for those of you who are prepared to not be patronising for a millisecond - is that I like trying new recipes, I'm on my own for four weeks out of five (husband works away) and when I'm on my own I get bored with meal planning and like to having someone else do it now and again.

I am quite capable of finding recipes, making a shopping list and cooking - for one or more people. But sometimes I don't choose to do that. Just as sometimes I choose to eat out, sometimes I buy something convenient (like a cooked chook or a bag of salad), sometimes I have a cheese and Vegemite sandwich for dinner. I don't see why getting a box of nice produce on my doorstep is something so strange.

Yes, it's more expensive than doing my own shopping and cooking, but I don't eat out much when I'm on my own, so I'd say it all balances out. And even if it doesn't - well, that's my choice and my priorities!

Edited to add: if anyone in Western Australia wants to support a great local business, have a look at Dinner Twist.

I live in the US so I can't partake in "Dinner Twist" but it looks like a great service! Looks no different than when I get my COOP box except better!

Not sure which meal plan I saw it on now but I'm craving spaghetti and meatballs for dinner.. so I think that's what is now on the menu. :wink:

I appreciate all I've picked up in this thread, I wasn't familiar with any of this... this is great for those that need/desire a service like this for whatever reason. Those that enjoy something different and find it handy, I say go for it! I have no hate for home delivery.. I imagine it's healthier than other types of home 'deliveries' Those veggies... mmm mmm!!

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    My manager had a few food services. She has no kids, work long hours, and wanted something healthy to prepare for herself. I get it.

On the flip side, I sometime purchase dinner at a place called Fit Food (I think that's the name). Everything is portioned out, the macros are great, and you take the container home or to work and can pop it in the oven or microwave. That's a great option for on the go or those lazy days.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Re Fit Foods, I've done Snap Kitchen, which I think is similar, and I've done for a quick lunch when I neglected to bring one or dinner if I unexpectedly get stuck at work super late and don't want to wait to eat afterwards. We have Fit Food too, but I've never gone in to check it out (one is located right by a WF I sometimes go to).
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    My husband and I have been trying out the various meal-kit delivery services in our area, and we're having a lot of fun with it. I'm cooking things I've never tried making before with the ingredients delivered to me in just the right quantities. One place will pre-chop everything, another won't. Just depends on which service we're using.

Most importantly to me, though, is that we're having a load of fun choosing and then cooking these meals together. Who knows how long we'll keep up with it in the long run, but in the short term it's been really enjoyable.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    I'd consider it for fun. Right now though, I don't have time to cook anything. We've been living off of turkey sandwiches/wraps and Terra chips.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    edited June 2017
    vaman wrote: »
    I think it's a combination of learned helplessness and perceived convenience.

Throw in a measure of laziness and I think you've got it. ;)
    I would love to have those kind of services. I know how to cook but would prefer little that? I don't have to fetch a spice or make a sauce that I don't have that specific ingredient, that can up to 3 hours to find.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    LOL OP.... I'm guessing you've never tried a service like Blue Apron or Hello Fresh? Just making some assumptions? Here are a few of this weeks menu choices for Blue Apron:. Keep in mind all the ingredients, including fresh vegetables, proteins someone doesn't cook with regularly, fresh herbs and somewhat obscure or exotic things like Thai basil, fregola, tomatillos, gai lan, are delivered to your door in the right quantities with clear directions on how to prep and prepare them.

Now it is pricey, and for the trial period I did it for I didn't find enough meals that would appeal to my small children on a regular basis, and the recipes themselves were a bit involved for what I really wanted help with which is quick weeknight meals. But, I remember thinking that it would have been great to have this option when I was newly married, getting more comfortable and then adventurous with my cooking, enjoying cooking and then eating together with my husband over a glass of wine, etc...

But yeah, it looks pretty much identical to a bag of salad and a can of tuna....

Can of tuna, bag of lettuce and a dash of pepper.

That has to be terribly boring...some people like variety and complexity.

It's called sarcasm.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    So people are both simultaneously lazy, but should be eating a tin of tuna and a bag of lettuce, or getting take out for dinner? What the even?

I don't use a meal service because I have the benefit of a large kitchen and the ability to be inventive with cooking. However, a fair few people I know use them to try new things, inject some variety into the life and because they live in small apartments and don't have my walk-in pantry and can't store the myriad of ingredients and spices you'd need to keep on hand or store the excess of if you bought all the ingredients for these meals. It's not like you can trundle down to the supermarket and buy a 2 person serve of couscous.

Just... *shakes head*

Do you also drive the Mercedes when the Porsche is in the shop?

I keed... I keed. :laugh:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    So people are both simultaneously lazy, but should be eating a tin of tuna and a bag of lettuce, or getting take out for dinner? What the even?

I don't use a meal service because I have the benefit of a large kitchen and the ability to be inventive with cooking. However, a fair few people I know use them to try new things, inject some variety into the life and because they live in small apartments and don't have my walk-in pantry and can't store the myriad of ingredients and spices you'd need to keep on hand or store the excess of if you bought all the ingredients for these meals. It's not like you can trundle down to the supermarket and buy a 2 person serve of couscous.

Just... *shakes head*

Do you also drive the Mercedes when the Porsche is in the shop?

I keed... I keed. :laugh:

Haahaa dude, at least my friends with poky apartments can go out in their neighborhoods at night ;) Best house on the worst street and all that!
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member

Just... *shakes head*

I never said anyone was lazy for choosing to eat meal kits.
  • Chef_Barbell

Just... *shakes head*

People in this thread did though.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    edited June 2017
    I love them...but only when I can get a deal or discount. I love that the food comes to my door, I don't buy extra crap and I have some delicious healthy meals to prepare that I havn't tried before. I currently have deals being shipped to 4 different addresses so I get this food on the cheap pretty regular. Agreed it's not for everyone...but it's for a lot of folks or it wouldn't be a thing.
  • Chef_Barbell
    cosmonew wrote: »
    I love them...but only when I can get a deal or discount. I love that the food comes to my door, I don't buy extra crap and I have some delicious healthy meals to prepare that I havn't tried before. I currently have deals being shipped to 4 different addresses so I get this food on the cheap pretty regular. Agreed it's not for everyone...but it's for a lot of folks or it wouldn't be a thing.

Working the system! I love it! LOL
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member

Just... *shakes head*

So then what was the point of the thread if not to pass judgement on those who choose to use meal kits, while you sit on your high horse with your peppery fishy lettuce?

I legit LOLed at this.... subsequently spitting out my margarita. :laugh:

Now I want a margarita.....
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Hmm.... wonder if there are any meal kits that come with a wine or beer pairing?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Hmm.... wonder if there are any meal kits that come with a wine or beer pairing?

I'd be lazy enough to pay for that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Heh, I was also struck by that.