What's your favorite nut?

12346»

Replies

• thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Pecans are my all-around fave. I am blessed and get amazing local pecans for free, I have 20 or 30 grams as a snack almost every day!

I do also love peanuts (not nuts at all, I know), cashews, and macadamias.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Macadamia. God they are delicious with the calories to prove it! Pecans are my second favorite. Then pistachios, walnuts, almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts...not a big fan of cashews.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    My 7 year old :p
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    My favorite nut is my girlfriend! :p
  • glasstacular
    glasstacular Posts: 56 Member
    I like all of them, but I really do like Brazil nuts.
  • taylormoooon
    taylormoooon Posts: 130 Member
    In love with pistachios right now, but they're so darn expensive. Lately I've been getting fruit and nut mixes from Trader Joe's and they're so addicting. I have to watch myself because those calories, though nutritious, add up so fast!! :D
  • Ayse818181
    Ayse818181 Posts: 11 Member
    Be careful not to eat too many brazilnuts in a day because it is extremely rich in selenium.
  • glasstacular
    glasstacular Posts: 56 Member
    Ayse818181 wrote: »
    Be careful not to eat too many brazilnuts in a day because it is extremely rich in selenium.

I'm guessing selenium gets toxic at some point? I'll Google that now, even tho I don't eat them that often. Almonds are a staple food, I just really like the flavor of Brazil nuts. Thanks for the insight tho!
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Cashews for me!
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Cashews for me!

This is the one true answer.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Brazil nuts
    Macadamias
    Soaked walnuts. Unsoaked walnuts are bitter and gross tasting.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    The jig is up!

For too long peanuts have masqueraded as America's favorite nut.

For too long, almonds have snuck into the mixed nuts bag at your grocery.

We've been foolishly snacking on 'nuts' that are definitely not nuts, and it's time to set the record straight.

Here are the five most common impostors:

Peanuts

Most edible nuts, like pecans or hazelnuts, grow on trees. But peanuts grow in pods that mature underground and are classified as a legume, like lentils and peas.

Cashews

Technically, nuts are a type of fruit. Fruits develop from a plant's ovary, and as the ovary matures it forms a wall around the fruit. For common fruits like apples and peaches, the ovary wall is the fleshy outer skin while for nuts the ovary wall is the hard, outer shell.

Cashews, on the other hand, are a seed of the cashew apple, shown here. The cashew seed is the c-shaped, greyish object at the bottom of the fruit.

Walnuts

Walnuts are another seed masquerading as a nut. Their shells mature and harden inside of a fibrous, green husk, but it's common to extract the walnut prematurely for the English delicacy pickled walnuts.

Pistachios

The desert plant called the pistachio tree is a member of the cashew family, and as we've mentioned before: cashews are not a nut. The food that we think of as a pistachio nut, is actually the seed of the pistachio tree, shown here.

Almonds are the seed of the almond tree, which is native to the Middle East and South Asia and is famous for its gorgeous blossoms. In 1890, post-impressionist painter Vincent van Gogh dedicated an entire painting to the almond tree's beauty.

Makes you think twice about that container of mixed nuts.

The traditional Planters mixed nuts contains the following:

-Peanuts (legume)

-Almonds (seed)

-Cashews (seed)

-Brazil nuts (seed)

-Hazelnuts (real nut!)

-Pecans (real nut!)

Just because most commercially marketed 'nuts' are not actually nuts doesn't mean they taste any less delicious!

So, next time you're snacking on some Planters — or your favorite brand — be sure to enjoy the seeds and legumes as well.

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Lightly-salted macadamia nuts, oh yeah.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    Cashews and almonds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    marcona almonds with olive oil and sea salt... OM NOM NOM!

pistachios are coming in at a close second. crazily i have only tried them recently. didn't know what i was missing!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Pecan. Because pie.