Logging help

Hi all
I know most say logging is essential for weight loss. But I need some tips to kind of get off my butt and start entering things in. It's just seem so hard. Lol. Any tips people?

Replies

• erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    I dunno. I did this before and was great and when I tried to start a couple months ago I just had a really hard time actually doing it. I didn't start again until just over 2 weeks ago and I've been super successful with it so far but I'm not sure what happened in my brain that made it finally be a priority for me again. I had to spend a lot of time thinking about it before I was ready again.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Prelog your foods either that morning or the night before. It's not hard at all, it just takes a couple minutes tops.
  • Juniper210
    Juniper210 Posts: 77 Member
    My biggest tip is prelogging meals. Like it's 9 am here, but I've already logged my breakfast, lunch, and snack. It works well for me because if I've already decided on and logged what I'm having, I'm much more likely to stick to it instead of going "eh, screw it, go to jack in the box". It also lets me know what cals I have available for dinner so I can plan that out.

I've noticed on weekends when I don't prelog, I tend to make worse choices and it's easier to go off track.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Luckily, in case you really don't want to count calories, calorie counting isn't essential for weight loss - eating less/moving more, and doing it for a long time, is essential for weight loss.

But why do you think logging is hard? Does it feel overwhelming to learn? Do you think you have to restrict food choices? Do you think you have to eat very little? You don't have to worry about any of those things. MFP makes calorie counting as easy as ever imaginable. Weigh and log what you eat, and hit your calorie goal every day. That's all you have to do. If you're honest, consistent and accurate, and have set your calorie goal properly, you'll lose weight at predicted speed. Counting calories means that you can eat anything you want - no foods are off limit. It also means that you'll be eating just below your maintenance level, so that you can lose weight without even noticing that you're eating less.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    What do you find hard about it? Maybe if you let us know what's difficult we can be more help.

But generically - use the app. For fruits and veggies usually using the plural version produces better results. Adding USDA after whole foods can bring up correct options quicker. Use the barcode scanner.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Like most changes in behavior, logging food sucks for a few days, then it becomes very easy.

I eat mostly the same things every weekday and don't count calories on weekends, so I rarely even need to log anymore.
  • db121215
    db121215 Posts: 60 Member
    At first, it was tedious. A chore to log. But eventually is becomes second nature. Now when I eat out, it feels odd not to log everything. Agreed with prelogging in the morning. Also give you an idea how many calories you'll have extra, to either bank or spend on a treat, or to know how much you should work out that day to overcome a tank. I've been logging for over 100 days. Eventually, you'll build a library of what you eat regularly and you won't have to work to add it. Some lower cal liquids, like almond milk, I measured for a while. Now, I know there are 25 cals in one cup and I know the color of my coffee and length of pour for about 2 to 3 ounces. I log a cup each day and have my three cups of coffee. Just an example. Weigh the solids. All the time. Weigh anything that isn't liquid. It's easier to log and lose then half *kitten* it and maintain or gain. It's a mindset. Good luck.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I actually prelog my breakfast for the week then my lunch and dinner for monday...dinner leftovers are lunch on tuesday and I plan my dinners for the week and prelog...

It actually usually works out well and I have an idea on where I need to make a change to lower my calories or do a bit more moving or where I can have a bit of extra treats.