Breakfast Ideas

Does anyone have any healthy breakfast ideas?? I normally hate cooking in the morning and tend to just grab something out of the fridge but that's not an option anymore. I don't normally do smoothies cause I feel they don't fill me up as much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Some of my go-to breakfasts:
    Just coffee
    Greek yogurt
    Mini egg frittatas
    Overnight oats
    Steel cut oats with fruit & protein powder
    Bagel thin with whipped cream cheese and lox
    Mashed avocado on toast
    Blueberry pancakes (I eat mine with Greek yogurt instead of syrup)
    Scrambled eggs & veggies
    Leftovers from yesterday
    Eggs on toast
    Fried egg on a sandwich slim with cheese
    Protein shake with fruit, yogurt, & protein powder
    Fried egg on a multigrain waffle
    Fried egg and hummus on a toasted sandwich thin
  • kwilson23144
    kwilson23144 Posts: 14 Member
    Oh those sound great and sound easy! Thank you!!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Why isn't grabbing something from the fridge an option? You can put string cheese, fruit, yogurt, etc. in the fridge. Leftovers are fine too, provided you measure portions.
  • kwilson23144
    I'm lactose intolerant, I found out about a year ago and it's still a struggle to find alternatives, I don't know why
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2017
    My daughter is lactose intolerant. She boils a bunch of eggs and puts the boiled eggs in the fridge.
    When she wants breakfast, she takes 2 boiled eggs and eats them with salsa. She's not much of a cook.

My breakfast today was an egg and turkey burrito. I added 10 grams of cheese but you wouldn't. The eggs and turkey still have to be cooked so I don't know if you would do that.

You can use things like various energy, nutrition, or fiber bars for breakfast. Those might not have lactose.

There are a wide variety of oatmeal-based bars you can make yourself. See pinterest.
  • terrycramerjr
    terrycramerjr Posts: 2 Member
    Not the healthiest but I've been doing Cheerios with almond milk.

2 cups Cheerios, 200 cal.
    1 cup, Silk Almond Milk Light, 40 cal.
    1 tsp, Honey, 21 cal.
    1 cup coffee
    1 Tbsp, Sugar Free Hazelnut Coffee Creamer, 30 cal.

=276 cal.

Today I added half a banana, sliced=53 cal.

• JeromeBarry1
    Yes, just about anything you can do with milk you can also do with almondmilk. Just don't say that in Wisconsin.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I make 5 servings of steel cut oats in a crock pot. After the oats are (mostly) cooked, I cool & place in the fridge. During the week I scoop out a serving, add sliced banana and reheat.

I use milk in place of water for added protein, but you could stir in a half scoop of protein powder after your oats are reheated.
  • kwilson23144
    Thank you everyone for all the great advice!! I'm definitely going to try your suggestions!!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    I make fairly low cal pancakes using white whole wheat flour and oat fiber (NOT oat bran!) in a 1:4 or 1:3 ratio. Egg whites instead of eggs, low fat buttermilk, water, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, no sugar. They turn out really fluffy and great with sugar free maple syrup or with berries and whipped Greek yogurt (basically, use a hand mixer to beat air into it until you get the consistency you want).
  • Jruzer
    Yes, just about anything you can do with milk you can also do with almondmilk. Just don't say that in Wisconsin.

You have your choice of milk here in the Badger State!

You can have full fat, 2%, 1% skim, chocolate... ;)
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    My favorite breakfast: bake a flour tortilla in the oven, mash half of an avocado and mix in garlic powder, salt, pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice. Spread mixture on top of the tortilla, put a fried or poached egg on top. Yum!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Does anyone have any healthy breakfast ideas?? I normally hate cooking in the morning and tend to just grab something out of the fridge but that's not an option anymore. I don't normally do smoothies cause I feel they don't fill me up as much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I usually do eggs (vegetable omelet, which is fast), but lately I've not been in the mood for that so have been having salads. I add some leftover chicken or steak, and whatever vegetables are convenient and then a dressing of olive oil and vinegar, maybe some feta cheese or olives.
  • kwilson23144
    basschick wrote: »
    My favorite breakfast: bake a flour tortilla in the oven, mash half of an avocado and mix in garlic powder, salt, pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice. Spread mixture on top of the tortilla, put a fried or poached egg on top. Yum!

Oh wow that does sound delicious!! I'm definitely going to try that!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    Jruzer wrote: »

Is that from fat cows, skinny cows, and brown cows?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer wrote: »

Is that from fat cows, skinny cows, and brown cows?

Not too far away we have sassy cows:

yttauu7eoxgy.png

http://sassycowcreamery.com/
  • Wonderworlds
    Wonderworlds Posts: 7 Member
    Nutri grain waffles and peanut butter (preferably the natural kind) eat it like a sandwich. So filling!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Scramble a couple of eggs with the fork you will use to eat them in the bowl you intend to eat them in. Just microwave and stir at 30 second intervals. In my microwave, two large eggs + 1 ounce cheese takes 1 minute 30 seconds.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 401 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I make 5 servings of steel cut oats in a crock pot. After the oats are (mostly) cooked, I cool & place in the fridge. During the week I scoop out a serving, add sliced banana and reheat.

I use milk in place of water for added protein, but you could stir in a half scoop of protein powder after your oats are reheated.

I need to try that! I usually do quick oats because I don't have to think about it in advance.

OP- my standard breakfasts are:
    - coconut greek yogurt with PB
    - 2 eggs, diced ham, fruit
    - mini bagel with light cream cheese, boiled egg whites, fruit
    - oatmeal with fruit and almond milk
    - peaches and cream oatmeal cut with quick oats and 1-2 eggs cooked into it
    - 2 eggs, sauteed spinach and black beans, fruit
    - leftover plain spaghetti with sauteed spinach and 2 over easy eggs

Now I'm hungry...
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    - Pancakes! You can never go wrong with pancakes!
    Just buy a ready-mix pancake, place it in a bowl add water, mix it up and onto the pan it goes!
    - Omelets are also another option!

IMG_0255__1442595268_86.82.108.171-1024x770-1160x665.jpg