I'm pretty sure I sound like a crazy person but I'm not seeing results the last week or so

So I started at 263 pounds. I started May 29th and have had weigh-ins every Wednesday since then:
6/7: 254 lbs
6/14: 251 lbs
6/21: 249 lbs

I've been super strict about my calorie limits, only going over 1300... twice? I think? Should I be worried about it starting to taper off? I lost 75 pounds in 2012 and put all of it back on and more and I don't remember this kind of stalling this early in the process last time.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    You have been doing great!!!!!

Be patient. Weight loss isn't linear. It doesn't go as fast as we want it to.

Put your focus on making sustainable changes that you will continue to do after you've met your goal weight. Then trust the math.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    You're also OLDER so metabolic rate tends to be a bit slower. Most of all you just need PATIENCE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • HolyHibachi
    HolyHibachi Posts: 17 Member
    A two-pound loss in a week is not a stall. It is, at your weight, a healthy rate of loss. Much of the 9 lbs you lost in the first week was water.

Right and I get that. I did break the cardinal rule and have been weighing myself daily and noticed I'm up two pounds from yesterday and then went back down.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    If you want to weigh daily, use a trend app. Happy scale for apple. Libra for Android.
  • HolyHibachi
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    If you want to weigh daily, use a trend app. Happy scale for apple. Libra for Android.

Never heard of it. What's it do?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    A two-pound loss in a week is not a stall. It is, at your weight, a healthy rate of loss. Much of the 9 lbs you lost in the first week was water.

Right and I get that. I did break the cardinal rule and have been weighing myself daily and noticed I'm up two pounds from yesterday and then went back down.

Nothing wrong with weighing everyday as long as you're not going to freak out over every fluctuation. You didn't gain two pounds of fat overnight. It just doesn't happen that way. Most likely culprit is water weight.
  • HolyHibachi
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Nothing wrong with weighing everyday as long as you're not going to freak out over every fluctuation. You didn't gain two pounds of fat overnight. It just doesn't happen that way. Most likely culprit is water weight.

And I'm not really worrying about anything beyond protein intake so maybe I need to watch salt to prevent that.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited June 2017
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

And I'm not really worrying about anything beyond protein intake so maybe I need to watch salt to prevent that.

It's more than just salt that causes water retention though. New or increased exercise is also a common cause. The reality that weight fluctuations happen all the time. The trending apps are really helpful for that. Or stick to the weekly weigh-ins, but honestly, what happens if you jump on the scale when it's at a high point?

Edited to delete the reference to TOM, since I didn't notice you were a guy before now.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    So I started at 263 pounds. I started May 29th and have had weigh-ins every Wednesday since then:
    6/7: 254 lbs
    6/14: 251 lbs
    6/21: 249 lbs

I've been super strict about my calorie limits, only going over 1300... twice? I think? Should I be worried about it starting to taper off? I lost 75 pounds in 2012 and put all of it back on and more and I don't remember this kind of stalling this early in the process last time.

Any thoughts?

Male, 249 pounds, and only 1300 calories? Oh my.
  • brittanih1330
    brittanih1330 Posts: 1 Member
    You should be eating more calories. Your body could be going into starvation mode. I was eating 1500 and started to plateau after 3 months, went to 1700 in February and have been steadily losing 2-4 pounds a week. It's a scary thought going up in calories but your body needs food especially if you're exercising.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited June 2017
    I use the Happy Scale app for my iPhone. You input your current weight every time you weigh yourself and it displays the overall weight loss trend. In my case, I can see that after 4 or 5 days I weigh another pound or two, but then that gain disappears and I've lost it and a little more. Seeing the graph is a nice visual, and it keeps me from freaking out over the natural fluctuations. And the app gives you "milestones" where you're congratulated for losing every 5 pounds or so.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    I "stalled" after a month, added 250 calories daily, and lost 4 pounds that week. It's very possible you're eating too little, your body thinks you're starving, and it's holding onto the weight. I would suggest that you increase your calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    How, you may ask, can "Eat more, lose weight" happen?
    Easily.
    You eat more, you move more, you lose weight.
    Just be sure to move more.
  • Jeffagner2
    Jeffagner2 Posts: 23 Member
    You are doing great and you just need to keep doing what you are doing. The scale is okay for measuring large changes but pretty useless for day to day evaluations since weight change and fat loss are often different. I rely on a measuring tape and how my clothes feel more than the scale. Fat loss doesn't follow a perfect, logical path. Consistency, patience and occasional forgiveness will take you where you want to go.